Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the Great Steak Houses??????

Brinybay

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
It's called 'Ruth's Chris'. Why? Is there somebody else doing steaks somewhere? Why do they bother?!

I've always wondered about the apostrophe too, so I looked it up. Here's the explanation per Wikipedia. Not surprisingly, it's because of legal technicalities:

The chain was founded by the late Ruth Fertel, a single mother of two, in 1965, after she bought the existing Chris Steak House in New Orleans. In buying the restaurant, Fertel had to agree that the restaurant keep the "Chris" name for a specified period of time. After the original location sustained a kitchen fire, she relocated the restaurant about one-half mile (0.9 km) to the west on Broad Street and renamed the rebuilt establishment "Ruth's Chris." Under the purchase agreement, the name "Chris Steak House" could not be used at any other location, and she did not want to lose customers already familiar with the Chris name. Fertel started to franchise the restaurant in the 1970s to locations throughout the United States and throughout the world.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Brinybay, that's correct about Ruth's Chris. They're good. They've abandoned that location, though, as it was damaged during Katrina.

Besides, just down the block is a restaurant that's better then Chris ever was, and the actual progenitor of the Croatian-style, sizzling in butter preparation. It's still there and open on North Broad St. It's called Crescent City Steakhouse, and I dare say, with the likely installation of A/C vents and the electronic credit card machine as exceptions, looks exactly as it did that day it opened back in 1934.

Fedora Loungers owe themselves a trip to this New Orleans original.

Crescent City Steakhouse

Zagat Reviews

accc7af89a693631450462073377fe58.jpg

A great blog article. Only error is that Charlie's Steakhouse, on Dryades St. is about to re-open after all.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I like Gallagers in New York. Closer to home, I like The Smoke House just because Bogie liked it, the Derby in Arcadia and wish that they would bring back the Marcus Steakhouse (formerly on Olive).

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Not sure if it's been mentioned or could be called a "Steak House" but, I love The Original Pantry! You can get a huge New York there for only $17.50 and it comes with grilled or mashed taters, green beans or corn, and the best grilled sourdough bread, made there each day... also, my favorite coleslaw in the world!

Has the atmosphere of an old cafeteria from the 30's but, it's comfortable and familiar... also just so old fashioned.

index_photo.jpg

Anyone visiting LA should make it a point to stop on by and enjoy some old fashioned comfort food that's been made the same way since 1924! And they're 24 hours! It sits at: 877 South Figueroa St off of 9th, easy to get to and parking is a plenty!

Highlander

A-List Customer
Three of my favorites in St. Louis:

Kreis' Steak House

Sam's Steak House

Citizen Kane's

Always Great Steaks at any of the three.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
New York City: Gallagher's, Sparks (great wine list, for a splurge)
Bethlehem, PA: Blue Grill

I like the independents...even if there are a couple of Gallagher's, they're not in every city.

While not a steak house per se, the Saloon in Philadelphia has great veal chops.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
In Nashville

Jimmy Kellys, they have been in business since 1934, before that they were bootleggers during Prohibition. It's still owned and operated by the Kelly family. Great steaks.

univibe88

One Too Many
The big boy chains do a great job, but I like local steak houses better. In Boston Grill 23 is the "expense account" steak house. It's great if someone else is paying!

I'm also a big fan of Abe and Louie's on Boylston.

I've been to Smith and Wollensky in Boston 3 times and haven't been impressed at all. The one chain that I enjoy is Ruth's Chris. I guess it's because I'm from New Orleans. The one in Boston is in a beautiful building and they do a great job.

DerMann

Practically Family
I'm not certain if it has been mentioned, but Steak and Ale is an absolutely wonderful steak house.

The one that I patronise is absolutely gorgeous. All of the wall are covered in antique wood panelling, and the restaurant itself just wreaks of vintage accents.

If you go before 4:00 Pip Emma, you can take the early dinner which gives you a drink, 12oz ribeye or sirloin steak, potatoes, and a small desert for approximately $13.

The food is always phenomenal. For whatever reason, the place is deserted most of the time, so it's always very quite and calm, perfect for a meal with the b'hoys.

My friends and I only stopped going because a waiter swindled us into buying the expensive desserts. I didn't mind, as the cheesecake was delicious, but my friends were deeply offended.

Chas

One Too Many
Vancouver, B.C.: Gotham Steakhouse. It doesn't hurt that it's Art Deco; if I can only get them to change the in-house music.

I reccomend the Petit Mignon. The sides are good, generally and the wine list works.

Great spot for people-watching too; all those trophy-wives and pneumatically enhanced chippies.

billytickets

New in Town
My favorite is Bern's in Tampa FL , I am not sure if its still true but old man Bern's made the staff apprentice 2 years on his farm to get a shift as a server ...I met the man Super Bowl weekend 1991 ? when the Giants played Buffalo for the championship ...He was eccentric but a very nice man they served 3,000 covers that Super Bowl Saturday night and no one was allowed to talk in the kitchen .... everything was done by tooth picks for temp ...there were 2 guys full time doing just French ion soup ...He gave us a tour of the kitchen on the busiest night of the year... amazing place and we got a tour of the wine cellar by him ...at the time it was largest private collection in the world ...if you are ever in Orlando or Tampa its worth it

of course I alos like Peter Lugars

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

Kodiak

A-List Customer
If you happen to be in Houston, the very uncreatively-named "Houston's" is pretty good.

I've eaten there several times, nice small place. Independent I think. Anybody from the area know it? It's over in the Kirby/Westhimer/River Oaks area.*

*I'm not quite for sure because I don't live there, I visit friends in the area a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points