Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the Great Steak Houses??????

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
So I was thinking out loud; "if I'm travelling across country where can I stop for a great big steak or chops?????" What restaurant in your town is the place to go? Over here in Frisco Bay I particularly like The Van's in Belmont, on the penisula. It has great steaks, good drinks, a beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay and the building is The Japanese Tea House from the 1915 Exposition.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The Outback, although a chain, has been consistently good. When my husband was in the USMC and we were in the south, they were great. In Maine, also good.

In NYC, Peter Lugers & The Palm.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
If any of you ever get to Vegas, you HAVE to go to The Golden Steer. It's still vintage 50's and has some of the best steak I have ever had (I love steak).

This is the place old Hollywood stars, including all of the Rat Pack ate and hung out in while in Sin City. It still retains it's classic 50's decor and screams suits and fedoras.

It's located just west of the strip on Sahara, in a little strip mall.

http://www.goldensteerlv.com/

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Here's some of my personal faves:

Los Angeles - Damon's in Glendale; Smokehouse in Burbank; Morton's, a few locations; Tam O'Shanter, Los Feliz

Portland - Ringside.

Amarillo - Big Texan Steak House (home of the 72oz, eat it in an hour, it's free!)

Pittsburgh - Ruth's Chris (and elsewhere)

Vegas - Delmonico, The Venetian; Smith & Wollensky, the Strip, Paris, The Steakhouse; Binion's, Ranch Steakhouse; the one at the Four Seasons/Mandalay Bay that I can't remeber.

New York - The Palm, The Palm Too (in memorium - One Fifth)

DC - The Prime Rib.

And, my personal favorite of all time - A NAMELESS joint somewhere just over the Utah border in Wyoming. The BEST T-bone I ever had!

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Mr. Lucky said:
Here's some of my personal faves:

Los Angeles - Damon's in Glendale; Smokehouse in Burbank; Morton's, a few locations; Tam O'Shanter, Los Feliz

Portland - Ringside.

Amarillo - Big Texan Steak House (home of the 72oz, eat it in an hour, it's free!)

Pittsburgh - Ruth's Chris (and elsewhere)

Vegas - Delmonico, The Venetian; Smith & Wollensky, the Strip, Paris, The Steakhouse; Binion's, Ranch Steakhouse; the one at the Four Seasons/Mandalay Bay that I can't remeber.

New York - The Palm, The Palm Too (in memorium - One Fifth)

DC - The Prime Rib.

And, my personal favorite of all time - A NAMELESS joint somewhere just over the Utah border in Wyoming. The BEST T-bone I ever had!

Are you telling me the Palm Too no longer exists?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
luvthatlulu said:
Are you telling me the Palm Too no longer exists?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh, God, no! It's One Fifth (address - 1 5th Ave) that is gone. GREAT steak house with the interior taken out of an old steam ship. Had the best mixed grill I ever done et!

Oh, and I forgot one of my Top Five of all time - The Royal Pheasent, Buffalo, NY. Gone now, but was there from the 30's to the 90's and served the BEST prime rib ever! Use to have a Sunday special - an entire PR dinner, all the trimmings, under ten bucks. RIP!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I haven't been to a steak house in years, but two that come to mind: El Encanto in Azusa (right at the mouth of Azusa Canyon). I remember that their prime rib was HUGE!

There's also Harris Ranch. Here's a write-up.

I've driven past Harris Ranch many, many times, but only stopped once. I was very impressed with the quality. The flavor and texture of the steak was fantastic. Partly because, It's about five miles south of where the(ir) beef grows. Which, fortunately, I've been quite successful in not to stop at the ranch itself, where my advice to travellers on this section of I-5 is to open all the windows and try not to breathe too much. (Yes, open. Makes the aroma of fresh cow exit the car in a more expedient manner. It's also a good time to make wind, if you have the need. . . . Who'd know?)

Lee

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Dallas is steakhouse Nirvana. Steakhouses in Dallas are so good that top name houses like Smith & Wollensky have tried to make a go and couldn't do it.

Some of the tops by category:
Large Chain:
-Ruth's Chris
-Morton's
-The Palm
-Capital Grille
-Del Frisco's
-Sullivan's
-Lawry's

Local & Small Chain:
-Al Biernat's
-Bob's Steak and Chop House
-Chamberlain's Steak and Chop House
-Dakota's
-Nick & Sam's
-III Forks
-Pappas Brothers Steakhouse
-Steve Field's Steakhouse
-Perry's
-The Chapparal Room (top of the Adams Mark, great view of the city)
-Silver Fox

Specialty and Foreign Steaks:
-Benihana (Japanese)
-Japon (Japanese)
-Fogo de Chao (Brazilian)
-Rafain (Brazilian)
-Texas de Brazil (Brazilian)

I would suggest one from the local/small chain list since you can go to a Mortons anywhere.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Hilltop Steak House in Saugus, Mass., at the sign of the Giant Neon Cactus. You can't miss it.

hiltopSteakHouse.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
When on the Big Island of Hawaii, I like the Parker Ranch Steakhouse in Kamuela.

I've been wanting to go to the Golden Steer in Vegas. The SteakHouse in Circus Circus is good also, Embers at Imperial Palace. There's one over at The Mirage that I want to check out, but I forgot the name. But I know where it is when I see it.lol

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
When on the Big Island of Hawaii, I like the Parker Ranch Steakhouse in Kamuela.

I've been wanting to go to the Golden Steer in Vegas. The SteakHouse in Circus Circus is good also, Embers at Imperial Palace. There's one over at The Mirage that I want to check out, but I forgot the name. But I know where it is when I see it.lol

When in Vegas you should try Vic & Anthony's, the new steakhouse at the Golden Nugget. This is Landry's ultra-high end concept in Houston and they've opened a new location in Vegas. We ate there for my birthday back in September and it was excellent.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Mark from Plano said:
When in Vegas you should try Vic & Anthony's, the new steakhouse at the Golden Nugget. This is Landry's ultra-high end concept in Houston and they've opened a new location in Vegas. We ate there for my birthday back in September and it was excellent.

I tried to get in last Sunday but it was a 2 hour wait.:(

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Regarding dress mentioned below, more and more San Francisco dress attitudes have become quite relaxed (and a lot more tacky). That's too bad, it's one of the reason's we got out of there and are glad of it.

In San Francisco:
House of Prime Rib - Van Ness and about Pine or so. Coat and tie ONLY. Without, you will be asked to leave, usually not kindly. I have gotten away with blue blazer and tie, but that's pushing it Great Prime Rib, Porter House and T-Bone steaks. On the expensive to very expensive side. Waiters, barmen, etc in black tie. Valet parking.

Harris' Steak House - Van Ness and Jackson. Coat and tie, but not quite as much of a stickler as House of Prime Rib. Very expensive, maybe overpriced. Don't know about parking, we lived on Russian Hill, so we always walked and my wife always managed the walk in high heels, too. It's easy walking down the hill, but going back up to the top of Russian Hill not so easy. Five blocks, straight up, then five or six more blocks kind of level.

Izzys - Marina on Scott (I think). You have to park so far away that I can never recall the exact street it's on; just wander around until you find it. Used to be a speakeasy, until they fell out of stye (that was supposed to be funny, so everybody laugh). Somewhat casual, but at least sport coat and maybe turtle neck or sweater. Moderately expensive.

Alfreds - now on Commercial Alley(I think that is name of that alley), in the SF Financial District. From the teens or 20's until the move to the financial district, was on top of the Broadway Tunnel (sort of hard to find and they wanted it that way). Coat and tie ONLY, preferably vintage and hopefully expensive vintage. One would be truly comfortable in vintage clothing here. That is what a good many of the customers wear there, although most bought it new. Black tie OK. Waiters mostly over 70 at least in very old rusty tuxes (black tie). They moved the decor from the old location, which is, well, bright. Black leather banquets, red flocked wall paper, red rugs over glowing hardwood floors and so many chrystal chandeliers it is blinding. Very very expensive.

Original Joe's - Taylor just down from Turk. You wouldn't think an Italian restaurant would have great steaks, but the T Bone at Joe's is terrific. This is a wonderful place to get a feel for the old (and better) San Francisco. In the Tenderloin, you may want to be accompanied by a native or long time resident. I doubt newcomers of last 10 or 15 years would know where it was and might not dare go there. For the most part, only the old timers have the balls to trek through that part of the Tenderloin. And it's usually packed. Some old waiters, some young, but all in black tie. The third or fourth younger generation now running it, so some of the old old waiters are retiring (or passing on while serving a table). For the ladies, a small pearl handled pistol is suggested for the purse: shoulder hoster for the gentlemen. I believe Joe's may have been a speakeasy too, but not sure about that. Moderate prices. Bar was remodeled in the 50's in a sort of Hawaiian theme now mostly gone, but bits and pieces remaining. You may possibly get an umbrella thingey for your drink. Hell, I even got one with a beer onetime. They must have a 100 year supply of those. By the way, description of the area is a little exaggerated. perhaps.

The Shoals (Muscle Shoals Area) Northwest Alabama
(Florence, Sheffield, Tuscumbia, Muscle Shoals, Alabama):

Dales Steakhouse - Florence, on Tennessee River at foot of bridge. Very good steaks, especially New York, T Bone, Filet Mignon. Good drinks, fair wine list. Good drinks = good bartenders who know what they are doing, even with a Manhattan. Need to call the whisky, the house is rot gut. Considered expensive for this area, but cheap, cheap, cheap compared to San Francisco. About $35 - $40 per person, compared to $60 - $100 or more per person in San Francisco. (not including tip).

George's Steakhouse - Sheffield (may actually be Tuscumbia, right on the line. Towns adjoin. About the same as Dale's, above.

Just discovered two or three months ago,
The Texas Roadhouse - Florence, Cox Creek. (It's a small chain out of either TN or Kentucky. Very good steaks, moderately priced, and absolutely wonderful fall off the bone ribs, full or half slab. Half slab, $11.95 including ceasar salad and potato. Barrels of peanuts, peanut tubs on the table, peanut shells on the floor, everywhere. A little noisy, but fun. C & W music. Boots and Levis best, both for men and ladies. Great place to wear your vintage western boots. I have a pair of M. L. Leddy boots I got in 1948, when I was in high school. Been resoled and reheeled a few times, but handmade, seven rows of stitches boots last forever, otherwise. They were expensive, I think they cost my Dad about $250. In 2007 Dollars, that is about $2,100 but they have lasted nearly 60 years so far. We always have a good experience at the Texas Roadhouse.

There's also an Outback here in Muscle Shoals, but they are all sort of the medium same old same old. For chain comparison, not near as good as Texas Roadhouse.

Bill

KObalto

One of the Regulars
In Baltimore, The Prime Rib is the place to go. They have slightly newer branches in Philly and DC. Great beef, reasonable and good wine list, great 50s decor (including leopard skin carpet) excellent cocktails and a soft jazz band to accompany your meal. Excellent and very vintage. Jackets required.
0_0_img_hist2.jpg

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
In Philadelphia...

Capitol Grill (One of my favorites)
Barclay Prime (although Pricey, they give you your choice of steak knives)
The chains are alway good...Morton's, Smith & Wollensky, Ruths' Chris, Prime Rib, and Shula's

New Hope area...
Earl's Prime (in Lahaska/Peddlers Villiage)
Marsha Brown's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner