Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I get a repro Blood Chit for an A2?

Corto

A-List Customer
I have a friend of mine who just bought a used A-2 Flight Jacket whose Blood Chit had been removed from the back.

Does anyone know where he could get a replacement Blood Chit?

Thanks!

CBI

One Too Many
some original silk/nylon ones are not very expensive. that would be my choice. Actually, leather is the way to go but originals can be a little high $

eBay - good supply of both repro and orig

Edward

Bartender
Pulling this old thread up for a query... Looking at repro Blood Chits online, the silk variant seem to be by far the more common. Presumably these are simply much cheaper to manufacture that leather. What I can't find good information on online, however, is where these tended to be placed. The photos I have seen of AVG M442 jackets seem to almost uniformly have them on the back; later 23rd A2s I've seen in photos seem to vary between having them stitched on the back or into any one of the body lining panels. On the back always seemed most practical to me, given the chance of an airman being found unconscious, but that's by the by. Where would the silk options tend to have been - did they get sewn on the jacket backs too, or where they exclusively a lining thing?

Aether

One of the Regulars
I've got a silk Aero Bloodchit that I've sewn on the inside of my A2. I left the top unstitched so it can be used as a giant pocket. Very useful. Can't remember where I got that idea from? I think someone at Aero may of mentioned it[huh]

When I get a minute I'll post some pics.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I remember reading....A true issue blood chit was issued with the escape kit prior to a sortie and returned after the sortie. The chits sewn on the jackets (silk or leather)were more for decoration, and could provide a quick identification of a pilot/aircrew when shot down. Todays chits (at least until 2005) are made from ripstop tyvech kind of material. A good friend who is an Escape and Evasion instructor donated one to me.
IMG_1820.jpg

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
They are still the ripstop tyvech material. They are only issued out prior to a sortie and they are a controlled item. Looks like the one Phantom has is a training chit since it is not serialized.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Pulling this old thread up for a query... Looking at repro Blood Chits online, the silk variant seem to be by far the more common. Presumably these are simply much cheaper to manufacture that leather. What I can't find good information on online, however, is where these tended to be placed. The photos I have seen of AVG M442 jackets seem to almost uniformly have them on the back; later 23rd A2s I've seen in photos seem to vary between having them stitched on the back or into any one of the body lining panels. On the back always seemed most practical to me, given the chance of an airman being found unconscious, but that's by the by. Where would the silk options tend to have been - did they get sewn on the jacket backs too, or where they exclusively a lining thing?

http://cbi-theater-4.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-4/bloodchit/bloodchit.html

The Flying Tigers of the American Volunteer Group wore Blood Chits on the back of their flight jackets. They later found it best to sew them inside the jacket in case they were downed in a Communist area. The Nationalist Chinese flag was not appreciated in communist regions because of the civil war that had begun before World War II and continued afterwards. Cloth and silk Blood Chits were carried in pockets and as part of survival kits. When sewn inside the jacket on three sides with the top left open, Blood Chits made handy map pockets. The wearing of the Blood Chit was a permitted but unauthorized addition to the uniform, much like the painting of nose art on Army Air Force bombers. At the end of the war, the U.S. Army banned the wearing of Blood Chits on flight jackets, but also made their use part of standard issue flight gear.

CBI

One Too Many
Leather Blood Chits on the outside, silk on the inside - generally - there are exceptions of course. eBay for sure. Right now there are some very nice repro ones by "a2jacketpatches" If he is out of them, he can make you one. The best repros out there. I have had some originals on both repro and original A-2's. That can get pricey.

Edward

Bartender

Really helpful, thanks! If I can get myself past the "nice Top Gun jacket!" comments (I can' even begin to satisfactorily articulate my sheer loathing of that film), I'd really like to put together two replicas: one AVG 3rd Pursuit M442, and one field-modified / manufactured jacket for the later 23rd fighter Group, based on the Aero CBI Field Modified jacket (in two minds as to whether it would be worth paying the extra for Horse on that model as opposed to steer.... leaning in favour of the significantly cheaper steer atm, given that that was a theatre in which a very significant quantity of non-regulation, pp gear was used). Extremely helpful to know what was worn where on these jackets.

Leather Blood Chits on the outside, silk on the inside - generally - there are exceptions of course. eBay for sure. Right now there are some very nice repro ones by "a2jacketpatches" If he is out of them, he can make you one. The best repros out there. I have had some originals on both repro and original A-2's. That can get pricey.

Thanks. Yeah, I've seen quite a few really nice silk repros on eBay, fewer in leather. Originals are really pricey, understandably, I suppose.

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
The blood chit use philosophy in the CBI theater was certainly different than it is today.

Definitely would not want to be wearing one on the outside of my flying clothing, nor would it be useful given the current methodology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24