Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where The Truth Lies

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last night I watched "Where The Truth Lies". This is the tale of the famous 1950's duo Lanny Morris and Vance Collins. They were not only famous for their routine, but also for their active roles in telethons. They lived the high life; girls, money, drugs, life in general was a party; until one day a young journalism student is found dead in their hotel suite. Although the duo were cleared of any charges, they never got over the entire incident and it ended their careers together.

This movie takes place 20 years later in the 1970's. A young journalist, once connected to Lanny Morris is writing the life stories of the comedy pair. She's also intrigued by the murder mystery that surrounds their legacies. Half of the film is of flashbacks to the 1950's. Well, I won't give any more details, for those of you who haven't seen it.

I liked this film, with Kevin Bacon playing Morris and Colin Firth playing Collins. I've never been a huge fan of Bacon, but I thought he portrayed his character quite well. He does a good job implying the torment that Morris went through in his later years. I've always liked Colin Firth, but their wasn't much of him in this film. Honestly, I've seen him do better, but this might just be that I would have liked to see more of him in the film.
It was directed well but I felt that it was a bit slow at times. The tone of this film was very even, bordering on flat at certain moments. I must admit that in the beginning I was having a bit of trouble deciphering 50's from 70's. The only character that looked as though he'd slightly changed in 20 years was Firth. Kevin Bacon and a few others both looked exactly the same in the 70's as they did in the 50's. The leading lady, Allison Lohman (of "White Oleander" and "Big Fish", no relation to Willie:D!) was good.
I don't know all that much about 50's era clothing, but from what I saw, it looked like it was era correct. The 70's clothes were definitely spot on, my least favorite fashion era!
Overall, this was a watchable movie. The cast worked well together and even though it had it's slow spots, I'd still recommend it. So, for those of you who haven't seen it, and you like a bit of murder mystery as well as stories of Hollywood stars failing, you might just enjoy this film. More information on "Where The Truth Lies" can be found here. This is actually a very nice website.

For those of you who have seen it, what did you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy