Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

kyboots

Practically Family
The Worse Decade

Being a product of the 60's and the 70's I think the worse is still now the current decade. The skinny jeans are awful, especially if a guy with gunboat feet or a girl who is not really in there completely. Along with the awful T shirts and baggy everything. It looks and screams 'homeless person' with a big price tag. Some of us from the 70's "are still alive" despite your wishes, but as bad as that decade was, the outfits were consistent and fit the individual.They matched and looked uniformly terrible. Whether green plaid or neon, I would prefer that over "baggy and floppy." Also let's take haircuts or the lack of hair by shaving; understand the scalp is not perfect and the skull is sometimes not perfect. Wear some hair and cover the defects it looks better if you are able to grow it.It also makes you look younger. John

kyboots said:
Being a product of the 60's and the 70's I think the worse is still now the current decade. The skinny jeans are awful, especially if a guy with gunboat feet or a girl who is not really in there completely. Along with the awful T shirts and baggy everything. It looks and screams 'homeless person' with a big price tag. Some of us from the 70's "are still alive" despite your wishes, but as bad as that decade was, the outfits were consistent and fit the individual.They matched and looked uniformly terrible. Whether green plaid or neon, I would prefer that over "baggy and floppy." Also let's take haircuts or the lack of hair by shaving; understand the scalp is not perfect and the skull is sometimes not perfect. Wear some hair and cover the defects it looks better if you are able to grow it.It also makes you look younger. John

I'd rather see a bald head than greasy, hippie long hair from the 70s. That was horrible. I remember the 70s as well and I still think they were just horrible in terms of style and just about every other property.
Style in general may be worse now but the beginning of the end just came to fruition in the 70s. If I have to see a picture of me in that red 70s leisure suit just once more.....
shootself.gif

kyboots said:
I agree long "greasy" hair is awful, but hey! mine was clean, I didn't say "hippie" hair; and that tan leisure suit of mine was still better than skinny jeans, tug boat shoes, and obscene T-shirt. John

If you mean the "chick jeans" on a guy phenomenon then you have my agreement but the term Leisure Suit still causes revulsion to me. Even the term was an oxymoron fit for the time. :p
If you want to talk bad now, then Ugg Boots are worse than tugboat shoes. :eusa_doh: The t-shirt in general need not be an external wear item either. That became acceptable in the 70s more so than ever before. Now we reap that acceptability in the form of them with stupid sayings on them too. :eusa_doh:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've got to admit, the '70s leisure suit look is a lot more cool than the skinny girl jeans and tight clothes look dominating much of younger male fashions today. At least it's somewhat of a suit, right? I don't think I'd ever wear one outside the context of a costume though.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
The Good said:
I've got to admit, the '70s leisure suit look is a lot more cool than the skinny girl jeans and tight clothes look dominating much of younger male fashions today. At least it's somewhat of a suit, right? I don't think I'd ever wear one outside the context of a costume though.

Quite frankly, anything from the 70s backwards is better than what attacks our eyes when wandering amongst 'modern' humans.

The Good said:

It is really not a suit in the strict sense of the term. it just happens to be the same matching material---polyester. :eek: It is no different than if you have a jean jacket to match a pair of jeans. It ain't a suit. :p
Costume is a good term for a leisure suit. It reminds me of a used car salesman's costume. lol lol

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
If I compare it to what I see nowadays (at lest here in the towns and cities in the UK), yes.

I have elaborated in a bit more detail regarding decades I like and dislike in an earlier post.

By no means am I saying I like the styles of the 70s, I prefer earlier decades. At least people - from the 70s backwards - were not so ignorant (or lazy) in presenting their grand canyons and love handles like they are now. And clothing fitted, unlike now, where oversize goes with skinny, and the worst: undersize with fat!

:)

KenDale

New in Town
I would have to say beginning in the 1980's and then going downhill since that time. Can't quite remember when people thought it was okay to wear a sweat suit anywhere in public, but that was atrocious.

Our dress code at work is business casual, although I still wear a suit and tie everyday. Some of the guys look like they are ready to go to a backyard barbeque instead of to what used to be a white collar job (finance). They have no idea what business casual means.

filfoster

One Too Many
BOOMER BUY-IN

jamespowers said:
I'd rather see a bald head than greasy, hippie long hair from the 70s. That was horrible. I remember the 70s as well and I still think they were just horrible in terms of style and just about every other property.
Style in general may be worse now but the beginning of the end just came to fruition in the 70s. If I have to see a picture of me in that red 70s leisure suit just once more.....
shootself.gif

Yes. I was there. (Born 1953). I still have flashbacks of the bell bottoms, tie dyed T shirts and fatigue jackets. History may repeat itself but I hope I am long gone, and I plan to live to 101 just to annoy my children and spouse.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Gilboa said:
If I compare it to what I see nowadays (at lest here in the towns and cities in the UK), yes.

I have elaborated in a bit more detail regarding decades I like and dislike in an earlier post.

By no means am I saying I like the styles of the 70s, I prefer earlier decades. At least people - from the 70s backwards - were not so ignorant (or lazy) in presenting their grand canyons and love handles like they are now. And clothing fitted, unlike now, where oversize goes with skinny, and the worst: undersize with fat!

:)

I totally agree, i am still recovering from all that brown polyester and orange hessian wallpaper from the seventies, but compared to how shoddy so many people seem to want to look now in the name of style, i'd take the seventies anyday.

Actually i have some lovely photos of my Mum all Biba'd up in the Kings Road in the early seventies, so i will cling on to that and the Arts and crafts/ Nouveau revival which was quite popular fahion and decor wise, and certainly more attractive than the majority of peoples style today. Looking like you dress yourself by stealing off of the neighbours washing lines seems to be a popular look for todays so-called stylish people, i don't get it. Horrid.

filfoster said:
Yes. I was there. (Born 1953). I still have flashbacks of the bell bottoms, tie dyed T shirts and fatigue jackets. History may repeat itself but I hope I am long gone, and I plan to live to 101 just to annoy my children and spouse.

Tie dyed t-shirts! :eusa_doh: I forgot about them. *yucky*
Bell bottoms were pretty bad. Even suit pants had flared legs---bell bottom suits. :eusa_doh:

filfoster

One Too Many
Ask not for whom the elephant bells toll

jamespowers said:
Tie dyed t-shirts! :eusa_doh: I forgot about them. *yucky*
Bell bottoms were pretty bad. Even suit pants had flared legs---bell bottom suits. :eusa_doh:

Remember 'elephant bells'? In our perverted present, I can only imagine the fortune a mint, with tags pair would sell for!

Quoting Colonel Kurtz: "The horror....the horror....."

filfoster said:
Remember 'elephant bells'? In our perverted present, I can only imagine the fortune a mint, with tags pair would sell for!

Quoting Colonel Kurtz: "The horror....the horror....."

Elephant bells? Didn't they have hoopla hoops at the bottom of those things? ;) :p I would love to see what a sap would pay for an NOS pair. lol :eusa_doh:
As Herbert Morrison said: Oh, the humanity.....!
bells.jpg
Horrible! :eusa_doh:

filfoster

One Too Many
elephantiasis

jamespowers said:
Elephant bells? Didn't they have hoopla hoops at the bottom of those things? ;) :p I would love to see what a sap would pay for an NOS pair. lol :eusa_doh:
As Herbert Morrison said: Oh, the humanity.....!
bells.jpg
Horrible! :eusa_doh:

Camping gear? Each leg a pup tent. I think that's Billy Barty in her left pant leg.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While we're going on about the 1960s and 1970s, I saw someone in the math lab that got that look down pretty convincingly. He had shaggy hair with sideburns and glasses, very "Austin Powers-esque," a red dress shirt with the top two or three buttons undone and pulled towards the sides (to the point it showed chest hair), and white or off-white chinos or slacks. He also happened to be wearing a black 3/4 length rain coat with epaulets, from what I could tell. Is this guy's style an example of 1960s mod, or more of a 1970s look? I'm not too familiar with fashion from those decades, so I can't pinpoint it exactly, but he looked the part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart