Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which hat material is best for rain?

Which hat materials stands up best against precipitation?

• Wool (plain wool weaves, eg, baseball or flat tweed caps)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wool Felt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fur Felt

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Synthetics

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Cotton

• Linen

• Straw

• Total voters

pgoat

One Too Many
There have been other threads here debating about subjecting vintage or expensive customs to rain and the elements. As I was puzzled on which of my hats to grab this morning (raining here), I wondered how the Loungers feel about hat materials.

Mind you, your comments and thoughts are welcome as always (love nothing better than talking hats here;) ) but in the poll, please select what you feel is the BEST material in terms of withstanding abuse (ie, you may theoretically deem a waterproofed synthetic to be more durable in the wet, but not wanting to be caught dead in such a lid, choose to wear your fine quality beaver felt regardless of weather, because life is to short, etc. Ergo, you'd pick 'synthetic' in the poll, but encourage me in your post to stop being such a wuss and just wear the dang things in the rain already!! :D )

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Edward

Bartender
I'm curious to know what the experienced folks think on this score too. I'm not a one for them, but I expect the Drizabone style waxed cotton affairs are about the most ultilitarian option. I have worn a fur felt in the rain for a few months now ad never had a problem.... A precious / irreplaceable vintage or custom lid I might think twice about exposing to extremes of weather. On the other hand, I always think back to my brother's house when he first moved in. It had been owned by an elderly lady she had died leaving no children or husband, and nephews who only wanted the jewellery (saw no value in anything else) were looking a quik sale. They left everything. Some beautiful antique furniture among it, along side loads of crockery, and all sorts of things that had obviously been save for best and never used. I'm sure she never dreamed that one day strangers would be using all her stuff.... made me realise that sometimes you do just have to take stuff out and use it. Respect a nice hat by all means, but if it's only lying collecting dust, what good is that?

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I asked Art Fawcett this question

after I purchased one of his lids and he insisted it is fine to wear in the rain and snow. I've been doing so with no issues. Of course, Art may just be trying to sell more hats.;)

dnjan

One Too Many
Since wool tweed was indicated as an option, may I also suggest that leather should have been listed?

Perhaps because my leather trilby stays on better in wind, but I generally prefer that hat in the rain as well. I may need to saddle-soap off the water streak in the evening, but that is easily done.

NonEntity

Suspended
I have never had a problem wearing a pure fur felt hat like an Akubra in the rain. In fact, I intentionally wore my new Sydney in the rain, then let it slowly dry overnight, in order to set the bash/dents.

I have a Tilley and a cheapo wool felt Dorfman Pacific that have been in many, many rains, with no damage whatsoever. In damp climates, it's best to dry them in a room with an A/C, which dries the air and helps avoid mildew.

However, no matter how tight the pounce of a fur felt or the weave of a linen or cotton fabric, if the rain is hard enough and you're in it long enough, water will seep through.

You can always spray any hat with Scotchguard, which renders it almost waterproof and still allows it to breath, but doing so will alter the hand of fur felts, so I would not recommend doing this with finer hats.

If I know I will be going into the rain for quite some time, I grab my genuine Harris Tweed Irish Walking Cap lined with Gore-Tex. I got it from Land's End, but it's made in Scotland and is utterly waterproof yet still breathable.

pgoat

One Too Many
Interesting replies, thanks guys.

I would have guessed synthetics first, then maybe a good sheep wool tweed. But most guys I've known with wool hats (tweed, not felt) were afraid to take their hats out for fear of ruinging them - I would think as in shrinking them.

Dnjan, My apologies; I had meant to list "Other" as an option, as I knew I'd never think of every choice. I simply forgot to include it.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I think this is probably the most waterproof hat on the market:
souwester.jpg

However, it isn't very breathable, and as for style, let's just say that big as your Federation may be, you'd be invisible standing next to this guy on a city bus.

Myself, I find my Federation does the good job though it's tapered a bit. Rain will eventually seep through if I'm in it long enough, but I don't see that as a huge issue. By that point I've probably been out doing something, and there's a lot of moisture going the other way anyway, so a trickle from above isn't going to matter.

Keep in mind that a little water on your head is not nearly as uncomfortable as water in your shoe, and that a fur felt will continue to keep you warm even when wet. The brim will also keep water off your face, and out of the back of your jacket.

Oh, and regarding vintage classics, I've given this some thought since I got my Whippet. Though I know it could probably take anything I throw at it, it is still my most precious hat, so if I know the weather's going to be bad, or I'm going to be doing messy activiites, it will probably stay in the closet.

On the other hand, I tend to like to travel in my best (read: highest quality, not fanciest) clothes since I like to feel like I'm up for anything, and since travel is kind of a special occasion, so I'll probably wear it on my next trip, and if it rains, it rains.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spellflower said:
I think this is probably the most waterproof hat on the market:
souwester.jpg

However, it isn't very breathable, and as for style, let's just say that big as your Federation may be, you'd be invisible standing next to this guy on a city bus.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Beat me to it. I was going to say that a rubberized fabric or oil cloth would probably be the best material for rain...but it would look like hell as a fedora. I know there are several waterproof'ers on the market (Scotchguard and the like, and there was one mentioned in a hat post just in the last two or three months). I've got an old beater that I wear if it's just absolutely pouring down rain out (we get that from time to time here in Seattle) but if I'm just going from the house to the car and the car to the market or hardware store or post office, the amount of rain a hat would collect is pretty small IMHO.

anon`

One Too Many
pgoat said:
Interesting replies, thanks guys.

I would have guessed synthetics first, then maybe a good sheep wool tweed. But most guys I've known with wool hats (tweed, not felt) were afraid to take their hats out for fear of ruinging them - I would think as in shrinking them.

Dnjan, My apologies; I had meant to list "Other" as an option, as I knew I'd never think of every choice. I simply forgot to include it.
Folks afraid to wear wool outside?! In my (limited) experience, most finished wool products seems to have finished their shrinking before every being spun (wool was traditionally scoured in warm water, after all), though by no means would I intentionally test the theory that a wool cap will never shrink, but I digress...

I personally own three wool caps (two tweed and one of loden-cloth) and have in all three been caught out in utter downpours in the past. None have shrunk to date, though I do believe that the (synthetic) insulation inside one did! Two are flat caps and both will politely drip off the brim of the cap after a spell. Quite convenient, I must say!
Also, for whatever it may be worth, my go-to raincoat is a wool gaberdine that's cut suspiciously like a covert coat. I've only ever gotten wet once while wearing it in the rain, and that was along the seams at the head of either sleeve.

To answer the poll, sure I think synthetics work best. But not by much, and certainly not well enough to justify their appearance in most cases!

pgoat

One Too Many
I almost bought a Burberry trench coat after one too many viewings of Casablanca and the Big Sleep (this was ultimately poo-poohed by my wife and several other women she dragged along on various shopping excursions, with the verdict being 'they just don't look right on me'); interestingly, the best (most expensive) raincoat in the store was a wool coat - I forget the model number but it looked slightly different than the typical burberry.....I believe it was a limited run and only available in navy blue.

Re: synthetics, I have gone through this conundrum with cycling clothes too - for instance you want a jacket to be wind and waterproof, but breathable to let sweat out. Some fabrics are better than others, but the only ones that keep all the water out (basically a yellow rubber slicker) will never let any perspiration escape. Which obviously defeats the purpose - and they're not exactly stylin' threads, either......

Edward

Bartender
At a push, tough - all considerations of style aside - IMO it's better warm and damp with sweat than cold and damp with rain! ;)

Leather is a good one to raise. I'm confident enough at the idea of taking my furfelts out in the rain, but I have toyed with the idea of one of those leather Akubra crocodile-hunter type hats for rain wear no a day when I know I'm gonig to be out there all day long in the wet... In my experience, the right sort of shiny leather is the best thing you can wea in the rain. Best raincoat ever I had, including my Burberry, is an old leather trenchcoat. Pity I still get wet from the knees down, though! :eusa_doh:

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
I would think synthetics first and then fur felt.

Question though - with a fur felt in the rain, don't your risk staining the liner?

How about treating the fur felt (as mentioned above)? Is that frowned upon for a good fur felt fedora?

sorry for the noob questions. :rolleyes:

pgoat

One Too Many
Edward said:
At a push, tough - all considerations of style aside - IMO it's better warm and damp with sweat than cold and damp with rain! ;)

I'd agree with you re: hats, but on a bike you get a nasty wind chill, so no moisture against your skin is best.....tough to do, tho.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Wool will be fine when it gets wet. Just don't throw it in the dryer.

Wool naturally sheds water. When it does get soaked, it still retains a good bit of its insulating qualities. And, you can just take it, give it a good shake, and much of the water will just fall right out of the garment.

Jovan

Suspended
Synthetics, no doubt. But if you want STYLE while out in the elements, well, that's another thing. I have a lightweight wool felt that's treated to repel rain, and it does it well while looking good. Not as good as a fur felt obviously.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra would be my first choice. In face it is the best way to break in a Akubra. My Biltmore does not take rain very well so I would leave it at home.
Tilley would be my second choice. Its made for that kind of thing.
Leather would be a good third. I owned a leather cowboy hat back in the day that got drenched at a week long camping trip that rained the entire week and it did fine.
I have had wool hats that shrink after a few rain storms so I would not use them. However I own a wool Smithbilt that has done fine in the rain. I do not own synthetic hats so I can not make comment.
Scotch guard help with making any hat weather resistant.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL