Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which religious group?

Which religion?

• Athiest/Agnostic/None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Baptist

• Catholic

• Jewish

• Protestant

• Methodist

• Jehovah's Witness

• Mormon/Christ Scientist

• Islam

• Hindu/Buddist/Eastern

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samsa

Baron Kurtz said:
Only if one confines oneself to theoretical atheists.

Though i do not, i know many people who absolutely deny the possibility of the existence of a deity or deities.

Yes, I suppose I was a little too dogmatic in my response. My answer reflected my belief that it is impossible to absolutely disprove the existence of God.

GOK

One Too Many
I'm with Lincoln and Einstein:

Lincoln said:
When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.

Einstein said:
A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

Warden

One Too Many
My sister and I both became Baptists independently of each other. Which is strange as we come from a none faith backgrounds.

However my local Church is Anglican, however I do believe God does not require passports.

Mrs W was bought up in a none faith family and really does not have an opinion either way.

Warden 'Harry' D

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I am an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac. I lay awake all night pondering the existence of Dog.

I've heard that joke in Catholic homilies, Mennonite Sermons, and Mormon informal meetings.

I'm raised Catholic and love the pomp and tradition. I attend a Mennonite church and agree that Jesus does not want us to hurt/maim/kill ANYONE else, regardless of what we feel they have done to/against us. My wife is Mormon and I always tease her about the Temple secrets, since I'm not allowed to go in. I find it odd that a church would keep someone out. Oh, yeah, and I have friends who are (and I've been to the church services) Jehovah's Witness, Lutheran (Catholic light they say), Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopalian, United Methodist, Brethren, Wesleyan, well, too many to remember. The good thing is that all of the people were human and genuine.

By far the nicest people I've ever met in Ecuador have been Latter Day Saints and Jehova's Witnesses on the coast and the Church of God missionaries in the mountains.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't going to participate in this thread because I believe it is no more relevant to the Golden Era than politics. But, as in political discussions, I see a lot of nonsense being posted which is indicative to the psychic insanities that have kept mankind separated and at odds for eons.

Consider Islamic cabbies that won't accept customers carrying alcohol. Or, those who won't share in other's bounty because it isn't 'kosher'. Or, those who won't take medicine or have surgery, or remove their 'garments'. Just insanity and superstitious ignorance, all of it designed to separate and divide.

Me? I believe in a Science of Religion and a Religion of Science. I believe in one Infinite Intelligence back of all that exists. I believe in our oneness with It and with all creation. I believe in the consciousness of Christ.

Learn for yourself if you like. A good place to start - a Golden Era classic, The Science of Mind (1938) by Ernest Holmes.

*** IAMHEASYOUAREHEASYOUAREMEANDWEAREALLTOGETHER***

-dixon cannon

moustache

Practically Family
I thought by posting this most would be gentle and kind regarding the feelings of others and not criticize others religions.
That has happened.
I'm glad to see FL members are being kind and respectful.

Thanks.

JD

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
My thoughts on religion tend to follow this mans example
Regards,
Forrestal

“ if there is no smoking in heaven……I shall not go!”….

...”heaven for climate; hell for society”………..

“Travel has no longer any charm for me. I have seen all the foreign countries I want to except heaven & hell & I have only a vague curiosity about one of those”…..

“When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different life”…..

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in””….

…..Sam Clemens

moustache said:
I thought by posting this most would be gentle and kind regarding the feelings of others and not criticize others religions.
That has happened.
I'm glad to see FL members are being kind and respectful.

Thanks.

JD

That has indeed happened and I, for one, am impressed with the restraint shown by the membership. You all deserve:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Say you wanted to disprove the existence of God. How would you go about doing that? Well, if there was a god, he could be anywhere, so, you would have to be able to travel to the far corners of the universe and check out every last inch. Well, what if god is really fast, and he just stays ahead of you? Well, you would have to then be able to exist throughout the entire universe all at once...then you could see him if he were there. Well, what if god were invisible? Then you would have to be able to see all and know all to prove he doesn't exist. Finally, now that you have proven that god doesn't exist, you just proved that you were one!;)

Fatdutchman said:
Say you wanted to disprove the existence of God. How would you go about doing that? Well, if there was a god, he could be anywhere, so, you would have to be able to travel to the far corners of the universe and check out every last inch. Well, what if god is really fast, and he just stays ahead of you? Well, you would have to then be able to exist throughout the entire universe all at once...then you could see him if he were there. Well, what if god were invisible? Then you would have to be able to see all and know all to prove he doesn't exist. Finally, now that you have proven that god doesn't exist, you just proved that you were one!;)

You know, I got to your concluding point about half way through that. :p

S

Samsa

Dixon Cannon said:
Or, those who won't share in other's bounty because it isn't 'kosher'.

There is a lot that is done by devoutly religious people that seems odd to me, but I think it is perhaps a little harsh to refer to the purity standards of Orthodox Jews as "insanity and superstitious ignorance." I'm not Jewish but have a tremendous amount of respect for their spirituality.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hey Dixon you can call me ignorant or superstitous if you want. That's very Golden Age, I must admit.

I voted Jew. (Conservative, kosher-keeping)

-Viola

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I was raised Baptist (both Northern and Southern), spent a few years intrigued by Judaism, then a short hop through Universalist Unitarianism (which still indentifies most closely with my beliefs) and finally settled on Episcopalianism. I'm everywhere.:)

L_H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24