Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which style of makeup should i go for.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Next month I am planning on having a vintage style makeover with my hair style by a experienced aakeup Artist who's fully trained in period make up ( BBC trained)
Therefore I can ask for any period to be done .
What decade or style should I ask for and will suit me ?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
You are a 50s type! Thickish, pert eyebrows, heavy black eyeliner on the top lid, purplish/reddish lips! Beauty mark, too!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Second emotion! You could probably go for 40's aswell - Natural brows, long eyelashes, rosy glow. :) (PS. I'm jealous, thats quite an opportunity!)

Louise Anne

Suspended
Thank you, some good idea from the both of you, I looking foward to it and just want to experiance something different from the looks which I can create for myself with my very basic skill level..

lframe

One of the Regulars
Just want to add how jealous I am! What a fantastic opportunity. I'm getting ready to overhaul some of my look. I wore a gorgeous red lippie with heavy black liner and people loved it. However, feel hair is too short right now. Need to try and pin curl.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
There's been a bunch of trolls here recently -- who only give 3 word responses to posts. lol We think they might all be the same person, too.

Still, I say 50s makeup. These are the brows you should do. Maybe a bit shorter tails:

taylor3.jpg

Louise Anne

Suspended
yes those people have now been sorted out lol,

Thank you for the photo Amy Jeanne the eye bows are for me the hardest part really becuse every thing else in a way is just put on and can come off, the bows are mine I have not yet had the courage to have them completely shaped feminine my Avatar ( large photo below) is the closes I done so far as I am scared if I did they would look a little odd in my every day life also , and eye brow shape are just very individual to a lady face shape if that make sense.

Image14.jpg

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Paul, is most of your time spent in male dress? I don't know how you feel about heavier makeup, but there are theater products that can totally cover the brow, then you could use a pencil to draw a more feminine brow. It is time consuming, so it might not be a good solution for more frequent use.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
kamikat's right. If you went for the 50's look, you could probably just powder in the whole shape, but it would require some grooming. Though, cleaning up stray hairs on men doesn't look strange at all, it looks better.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Paul, is most of your time spent in male dress?
Yes it is

Saying that I do wear full make up but in a very natural style when I am on my own say shopping sometimes (with men dress ), I also had my brows shaped in a salon and the lady said she done them to a feminie shape but I not really felt they were and they were a little uneven in my opinion.
If I did the twentes again then I would have to a theater makeup , other than that but I would prefer to have my own shaped but it's finding the right compromise if that's possible in real life I do not have much hair so maybe I could get away with it in a way it's like the red lipstick thing with thining people are looking at your bows and thinking what has he done with them (when I am not wearing makup)!

Last edited:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, I'll admit that it took me much longer to get used to vintage eyebrows than red lipstick. Brows are worn very natural today and penciled/shaped brows are just as noticeble as red lips. I don't pencil my brows every day even after a decade of wearing vintage off and on. When I look at your avatar picture, I see very natural, perhaps gender-neutral eyebrows. They would look nice with a feminine, modern look. With some trial and error, you can get a more vintage look with a pencil.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Update: I did email a local salon last night about a eye brows shape and they said it's best to pop in for a free consultation because I asked if they could do a feminine shape which would not look too out of keeping with my every day clothes, I think that a good start if they are willing to put some thought into it from the start and not just get the tweezers out.

lareine

A-List Customer
Paul, I hope you don't take this as anything other than a well-meaning comment, but when I look at the photo you posted the biggest thing that stands out is the blusher. I don't recall seeing any vintage photos with blusher like that, and I don't know any women who wear it so heavily either. I believe that if you toned that down you could be much more playful with other aspects such as eyebrows or lipstick. Heavy blusher makes it difficult for anybody to wear other strong makeup without looking clownish. I'd love to see a photo of you sans blush to really appreciate the rest of your look.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Hi Lareine No am I not offended at all and thank you.
There is a interesting story or funny behind that photo (well I have to think of it like that or I get a little annoyed with myself) , it was taken by a pro photgrapher in a studio who provided me with make up artist to practice her vintage style on me ( free of charge) the photographer admitted afterwards she was out of her depth afterwards with vintage style, as you have kindly pointed out there are big issues with it.
I have not done any vintage styles make up myself for years only modern styles.

The reason I have not been posting here for a few months was that at the start of the year I worked with a professional image consult/ stylist to design me a new modern look which was a lot softer and more feminine in style than I wore before, so that I could get used to it and find my feet better with ladies fashions then move hopefully more successfully back into vintage styles once again becuse I felt I had lost my way a little with the way I looked.
It is really trying to replicate what most ladies here have done as they found there feet with vintage from modern ones.
At the present time I have not got any good vintage photos at the present time only ones of me wearing modern styles, a few peoples jaw has dropped recently in a nice way seeing my new modern look , I would be happy to send any one a like to it if they dropped me a PM, this is a vintage oriented site so for just that reason I am slightly reluctant to post photo here of Pauline in her modern dress.

Last edited:

lareine

A-List Customer
Ah, I understand now. Well it sounds like you are going in the right direction now anyway! It takes most of us years to figure out the best look for ourselves so don't feel bad about losing your way temporarily. I know I have done the same :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran