Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White puggaree

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I recently removed the braided leather hat band from my Akubra Flinders, and substituted the puggaree from my Commonwealth slouch.
flinders.jpg

The colors, however, are not complimentary, and it looks a bit awkward. Anyone know where I might be able to find a white puggaree? I though about getting some material to make one, but then quickly realized that I am completely incapable of ever making it look like anything but a large Kleenex wrapped arounf my hat!

According to the Digger History page, the New Zealand officer cadets wear a solid white puggaree on their lemon squeezers. Anybody know of a source for New Zealand puggarees?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave, if the puggaree you currently have is made of natural fibers (cotton, silk, linen) then you could easily pick up a packet of RIT color/dye remover at your local drug store or craft store. It's the stuff popular with college guys when they toss the red shirt in with the whites. While it is a bleaching agent, it is less damaging to textiles than chlorine bleach. I have used it quite successfully to remove color for re-dying. Also, I recall reading something (I think on indygear.com) about changing the color of clothing and this same stuff was used for the original color removal. My best results came from putting an entire packet into a gallon-size kitchen pot, bringing it to a boil, and submerging the textile to be altered. The color came out instantly! You might not get it to a bright optical white, but probably something closer to an ivory or beige color. Additionally, if you so desire, RIT has an entire mixing chart online that would allow you to re-dye to almost any color (khaki tan, khaki green, mustard, beige, etc.). You can really replicate some nice vintage colors easily!

I just ordered up a new pith helmet and might use the RIT dyes to change the color of the helmet covering.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave, you might try contacting Lawrance Ordnance down in Australia as well. They sent me a current issue 7 fold Aussie pug in khaki for my Akubra slouch. I'm not sure if it's pure cotton or a blend, but it does look acceptable. Right now I've got it on my WPG slouch, and it actually fits better than the one that came with it. No stitch holes in it either after I removed the formation sign sign from the side of the WPG one.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, that's a good idea, and would probably work great. It doesn't need to be bright white, by any means, but just light enough that the colors don't clash. It just looks wrong the way it is now. I thought about dyeing it darker, too, to maybe a brown. Not sure how that would look though!

I like Lawrance Ordnance, too, Baggers. They have great service, and good prices. (I keep ogling the SMLE they have for $350. Nice!) For the hat, though, I'd have to get another puggaree before I tried changing the color, too, since this one came off my slouch. I want to have that in the original color in case I need it. Last time I ordered from Lawrance Ordnance, I was shocked and impressed at how easy it was to order from them, and how quickly my stuff arrived, despite being half a world away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner