Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who belongs to a Lodge

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Oddly

Ran into a Brother at Commander's Palace in Las Vegas, he invited me to his Lodge in Henderson, a "Daylight" Lodge. Such Lodges hold their meetings during the day. They came about b/c many older gents could not drive at night and such.

In Vegas, Daylight Lodges have some of the youngest members in town as young guys in the service industry there work nights, so they can't attend a traditional evening Lodge.

Radioflyer

New in Town
Been East myself a couple times. I know that here we're accepting men aged 18 now and we're free to solicite membership. I teach Civil War Masonic history to lodges and groups and am just hoping the yearning comes back for younger men to join.

rf

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
skillbilly said:
I just recently petioned to become a Free Mason and am waiting to see if I'm accepted or not. It's true that most members nowadays tend to be in their "later years". Most of this is due to a decline in new membership over the past twenty years or so.

I've been to the lodge only a few times, but have met some interesting characters and heard some amazing life stories. I personally can't wait to hear more of them.

Joining later in life is so true. People nowadys have so many time restaints set upon them with job and family that to find the time, even two nights a month, can be trying.

Because of the traditional ways the Masonic body has operated about membership, there has been a steady decline. When you have such a big influx of membership like we had decades ago, you are going to see a large downturn. Because the next generation did not fill the gap.

I believe the 1940's and 50's were the peak years, however those folks are at the end of thier road about now. Some of the sons asked how to become one, but most have not. Others would like to join, but they figure it would take a lot of time and back away from even asking.

In Missouri, a Mason can ask another to become one now. Plus we do not have to turn in our degree work to advance to the next degree. This has caused many of the older gentlemen to turn very upset, however, we have had some increase in new young men.

The Lodge across America will have to reinvent themselves and market themselves differently. In Missouri, once again, we are told to become more visible in the Public's eye. In illinois they had a wonderful set of articles of Masonry 101...it was a marketing discussion.

It would be great to have young men once again inculcated with such great moral values that stand the test of time and make themselves stand upright in worthy standards.

Back to where a handshake and your word was all that was needed.

PM when you get accepted, I would like to know...

mark the shoeshine boy.....PM Farmington Lodge #132 Farmington, MO

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Radioflyer said:
Been East myself a couple times. I know that here we're accepting men aged 18 now and we're free to solicite membership. I teach Civil War Masonic history to lodges and groups and am just hoping the yearning comes back for younger men to join.

rf

You need to chat with Vincent Kincaid, he donated his liberary just recently to our Lodge. About 400 books.....he is a great historian...

check out the link above and check him out at the missouri website....

mark the shoeshine boy

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
too young

18? :eek:

I also work with the, "men," of my college fraternity and they are the reason that I am glad that we still have the 21 y/o requirement in the Lodge. Now there are exceptions, but by in large an 18 y/o has no business in Lodge IMHO.

Interestingly, a dapper gent on here mentioned he that he is an Odd-Fellow. Many college fraternities stole there ritual from the Masons. Mine stole most of the fraternal ritual from the Odd-Fellows.

In Alabama where I was raised, you must be examined on the 1st and 2nd degree. In GA you must stand examination on all 3. Puts the bite on me to have to learn the 3rd degree as a member of the upper line. :p

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Confusion

Samsa said:
The Church is a strange place these days... you can find a priest who will say or do just about anything, no matter how much at odds it is with Church teaching.[huh] That's probably why some of us Catholics are perpetually confused.:D

Adherence to the Magisterium should be the norm rather than
the exception.

S

Samsa

Harp said:
Adherence to the Magisterium should be the norm rather than
the exception. The Anglican Communion is in freefall; theological
anarchy and a jettisoned American Episcopalian Church--an
unfortunate situation for The Church of England.

At least we can blame Vatican II...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how to read that...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Correction

Samsa said:
I'm not sure how to read that...

You're quite right--omit Vatican II reference.

Tangent comment about the Anglicans off-track as regards Catholic Church attitude
toward Masons; though not entirely irrelevant as regards settled doctrine issue(s).

czack

One of the Regulars
Samsa said:
The Church is a strange place these days... you can find a priest who will say or do just about anything, no matter how much at odds it is with Church teaching.[huh] That's probably why some of us Catholics are perpetually confused.:D

Amen! Actually the ban on secret societies is still on the books. Bishop Brukewitz of Nebraska excommunicated several people over this issue several years ago.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Throughout Jr. High and High School, I was an active member of DeMolay, a Masonic youth organization. I found that their ceremonies and values were highly congruent with Christian concepts and ideals. They would not have been a home for those practicing non-Christian religions, but they're a private organization and they obviously weren't intended to serve non-Christians. I had - and have - no heartburn with that.

I didn't become a Mason, but I can't imagine that Masons have goals or values that are in any way incompatible with any Christian religion - at least the ones that don't verge on cults. (No insult to anyone intended, just my opinion.)

My wife is a Catholic, and I would offer the observation that very few Catholics I know observe all the tenets of their church strictly. To me, this displays their own good sense and faith in their own good judgment.

Any time a religion says I can't join another group which my best judgment tells me is worthwhile, that's a good reason for me to start evaluating that religion and decide whether it's time to bail out. :eek:

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Conspiracies aside, there are plenty of things about Freemasonry that should give cause of concern to anyone calling themselves Christians. Christ forbids his followers the swearing of ANY kind of oaths. On top of that, the masonic oaths themselves are abhorrent to my mind: Gruesome torture and death, swearing to protect fellow members from criminal arrest and prosecution, etc.. The pagan symbols which adorn the lodges...these are quite enough to keep me away.;)

"but we don't take these things seriously" some will say. Then why say them? [huh]

These are some of the reasons why many Christian organizations and individuals shun Freemasonry. Take this however you wish, but this is how many see it.

I can hear the feathers rustling, the murmers, and harrumphs from here!

carter

I'll Lock Up
I own a Packard in a sea of Chevies and Fords.

Ah Twitch, a man after my own heart. I have a '56 Morris Minor 1000 and a Mercury Station Wagon. Kinda the long and short together.

I have no Lodge affiliation. However, I have been to several nice lodges over the years. Does that count? ;)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
Conspiracies aside, there are plenty of things about Freemasonry that should give cause of concern to anyone calling themselves Christians. Christ forbids his followers the swearing of ANY kind of oaths. On top of that, the masonic oaths themselves are abhorrent to my mind: Gruesome torture and death, swearing to protect fellow members from criminal arrest and prosecution, etc.. The pagan symbols which adorn the lodges...these are quite enough to keep me away.;)

<snip>

I can hear the feathers rustling, the murmers, and harrumphs from here!

Probably, I suspect, from people (or birds) who are concerned with the correctness of facts.

Craft Freemasons do not take oaths - they take obligations, which contain reference to the gruesome oaths that were taken by operative masons in former ages, making it clear that such oaths are no longer necessary.

No mason 'swears to protect fellow members from criminal arrest and prosecution' - the reverse in fact. All Masonic constitutions are framed within the law of whatever country they inhabit and masons commit themselves on initiation to obey the law of their land. Anyone who assists a criminal (whether a Mason or not) or condones a crime is breaking his (or her) obligation.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pagan symbols'. The furniture of a lodge includes a Bible, the tools that masons use (many of which can be bought from hardware shops) and features that represent the classical orders of architecture. The illustrations in a lodge and the lectures given refer to biblical passages (e.g. Jacob's ladder, Jeptha and the Ephraimites, Solomon's temple) and to the contemplation of death.

Perhaps by 'pagan' you mean that there are no Christian symbols in a lodge. This is true for the Craft, which seeks to embrace all religions. There are certain Christian Masonic 'side orders' which use Christian symbols as a part of their ceremonies. Prayers and hymns to whatever deity the Mason worships in his or her heart are usually a feature of Craft Lodge meetings.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ