Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes an untapered crown?

beatola

New in Town

I imagine I can get one from a custom hatter, but do any manufacturers make one?

I see akubra mentioned around here quite a bit. Do they have any styles that have a tall untapered crown?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Taper of Block?

beatola said:

I imagine I can get one from a custom hatter, but do any manufacturers make one?

I see akubra mentioned around here quite a bit. Do they have any styles that have a tall untapered crown?

Do you mean the slope (taper) of the finished hat (like the 30's look vs. 60's), or do you mean an UNBLOCKED hat, which is totally round and has not been creased?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you get any of Akubra's open crown hats you can usually put a non-taper bash in them. Campdraft, Federation, Squatter. Assuming its a fedora style you want.... If not Cattleman, and Down Under are good Australian style non-taper hats.

Johnny

beatola

New in Town
I should have been more descriptive.

My mistake

I would like a tall crown untapered hat that has already been creased. As in not an open crown....

Oh and I would like it to be in the classic fedora style..if that makes sense...

Thanks

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I'm sure that there are manufacturers out there that would crease the hat for you before shipping. Akubras typically come open crowned, but I believe that they will bash it for you upon request. I would assume other companies would do the same...sorry that I don't have any other vendor names for you.

JerseyJones

Vendor
beatola said:
so am I to assume no manufacturer makes an untapered crown that is already creased?

Hello Beatola,

This is Ken at Camptown Hat Company chiming in. I make an untapered crown hat, albeit not a perfectly square crown. All of my crowns are open, so I can style them as you wish. At the moment I make a brown and a grey hat and a black is forthcoming.

my site www.camptownhats.com has some after photos of the hats once I have worked on them from the untapered open crown.

Here is one example of that crown:

Front View

DSCN6816-vi.jpg

Side View

DSCN6817-vi.jpg

If you have picture of what you would like to see, it would help a lot too.

Thanks
Ken Spassione

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have not seen any off-the-shelf production hats that have a tall untapered crown with a bash already in it... at least not under the price of a custom from Art, Steve, Graham, or Ken. Once you pass the $150 mark, you might as well go custom.

If it's just that you're afraid of an open crown, don't be. It's not that hard to shape a hat, and the Akubras can handle enough abuse for you to mess up and start over. I was terrified at first, but I love bashing my own now. I've even gotten custom hats and asked for an open crown.

The Campdraft is, I think, the best open crown Akubra. And who knows, maybe the vendor would be willing to bash it for you.

Good luck,
NB

johnnycanuck

Not-bogart: I hate to diagree with you about the campdraft being the best open crown Akubra, but..... My vintage Stetson twenty five hat (almost the exact same hat as the Akubra Campdraft) according to my wife looks "stupid tall". As far as I can tell the only difference between the stetson and my Federation is the ribbon size. So now I am having to think about selling my stetson:( . I am not trying to start an argument here, I am just saying thin ribbons don't always look good on everybody. Besides if you are going for the "classic" fedora style you probably want to go with a thicker ribbon.

The only pre bashed hat I have with straight sides came from Art. But it may be worth an e-mail to hatsdirect to see what they can do for you.

Johnny

beatola

New in Town
I ordered a federation in carbon grey.

I came real close to ordering a campdraft but the phrase stupid tall kept on entering into my mind.

How tall is the crown on the campdraft when it is open crown?

johnnycanuck

Sorry about planting the "stupid tall" in your head. As I said it was just my wife's comment.
As for the height of the Campdraft, I think they are the same as the Federation. Its just that with a thin ribbon, there is just a wall of crown. With the federation you get the wide ribbon breaking the vertical look. perception, that's all.
Johnny

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
johnnycanuck said:
Not-bogart: I hate to diagree with you about the campdraft being the best open crown Akubra, but..... My vintage Stetson twenty five hat (almost the exact same hat as the Akubra Campdraft) according to my wife looks "stupid tall". As far as I can tell the only difference between the stetson and my Federation is the ribbon size. So now I am having to think about selling my stetson:( . I am not trying to start an argument here, I am just saying thin ribbons don't always look good on everybody. Besides if you are going for the "classic" fedora style you probably want to go with a thicker ribbon.

Johnny

Well, I see your point. But I think it's a matter of taste and what hat style fits a persons face and build. For those who want a tall, straight crowned hat, I maintain that the Campdraft is the winner. And a quick bit of work by a hatter (or the owner if he's good with a needle) can fix the ribbon problem if you want something wider. If I wasn't addicted to Art's custom hats, I'd already have a CD with a really fat ribbon! :)
Oh, and if that Stetson is a 7 1/2, don't forget to offer it to me! I'm fresh out of vintage hats! :(

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
beatola said:
I ordered a federation in carbon grey.

I came real close to ordering a campdraft but the phrase stupid tall kept on entering into my mind.

How tall is the crown on the campdraft when it is open crown?

Also, it might just be the color playing tricks with my eyes, but my Campdraft seems a little straighter than my Feds. Either way, though, you're getting a great hat! It might be easier for you getting the Federation first so you can get used to a tall hat.

beatola

New in Town
IS this normal?

I bought a federation from hats direct. When I received the hat I immediately noticed a band of color where the crown meets the brim. Is this normal? I know that akubras aren't powdered as much as other brands but it looks very noticeable. It is much more pronounced than the picture.

akubracrownne9.jpg

If not I will probably return the hat for a new one. The sweat band is very nice though.

It's much stiffer than I was expecting.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
In short, I had the same, and it's away now after I picked it up from a hatter earlier today - I had actually forgotten about it, so I didn't ask. (I had the brim shortened - I'll try and post pics the next days.)

Here's what I wrote:

[…] There's one thing I'd like to ask about, though: Beneath from where the brim and the crown meet, there's a fuzzy thin line or band - not sure if it is dirt, colour, abrasion or an indentation. Goes all around the hat at a distance of about 2 mm (front) to 5 mm (back) into the brim. I didn't do anything about it yet, because I don't want to ruin it before I even shaped it. Is that something I can fix, or would I have to take it to a hat store/send it back?​

And here's the answer:

The mark is probably due to packing - it can easily be removed by brushing the felt in an anti-clockwise motion, with a clothes brush or a felting sponge ( if you have one ). For an even better result do this over steam (either a pot of water on the stove or a kettle that boils continuously).

All hats are checked personally before they are sent out - so I am sure the mark is only due to a pressure mark from the packaging.

Let me know how you get on.​

fatwoul

Practically Family
My dark brown fed deluxe has the same thing, and I've seen a similar effect in lots of the hats over on Club Obi Wan. Personally, I'm not worried. I think its just that when the hat is given a final once-over with a hat brush before it's shipped, the brush doesn't quite make it right up to the crown, because the ribbon stops it. I've noticed that it isn't as visible in older hats.

EDIT: Or what Shaul said that I totally missed. Or both.

In short, I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, Beatola - nice job on the picture. Nice clear lighting, and the white background, too.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
...For an even better result do this over steam (either a pot of water on the stove or a kettle that boils continuously)...

I don't wish to contradict anybody, Shaul, but I'd advise Beatola against using steam, since this sounds like it's his first hat. Steam near the headband - even on the outside of the hat - was the fast road to shrinkage in one of my hats, because I used too much steam before I really knew what I was doing. Now I need a hat stretcher to get that hat back to a size I can wear.

Beatola - for now, do like Tony advises in my thread here, and stick to a little cold water here and there.

My limited experience has told me to leave steam for the really stubborn problems, and even then to be careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw