Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who still makes 40s or 50s style caps?

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
howdy hipsters, I have been searching and searching for a source of authentic
40?Ǭ¥s or 50?Ǭ¥s style baseball caps. Many years ago I bought couple of great replicas while I was living in the great land of Oz, in the famous Skin Deep Store
in Sydney. I have since lost bought and I believe they were made by the New York Hat Company. So any of you hipsters have a tip ? just need that little extra to go with my 1937 levis and 506xx jacket. And while we are on this subject : does anyone else except Eastman make a great mechanics cap replica ? They look great but are fairly pricey, however my new B-6 aero does deserve a pardner.....

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Bull Halsey

I'd be interested in a source as well. I have seen pictures of Admiral Bull Halsey wearing a 40's khaki ball cap with an officer device pinned on. Something like that would look good with a vintage khaki working uniform.
Paul

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I've seen them

A couple of friends told me about this place after they bought some caps.
They look authenic and great.
They'll even custom make one with your design.

The Wolf

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Cooperstown Caps

I have two Cooperstown Baltimore Orioles caps a 1941 model & a 1954 away cap I like the leather sweatbands & vintage era caps don't have that front cap logo area stiffener that modern ball caps, conforms more to the front of your forehead. Found it was easier to deal with this company in the off-season because of their volumne. Good luck!!! Peter :cool:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There's this

Dear Santa:

shrling.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
The Cooperstown Ballcap Co. caps are the only game in town. Unfortunately the illustrations on their website are horrible, but in the flesh they are the real deal. I own about 7 or 8 of them and cannot praise them high enough. Stitched by hand. Emblems hand embroidered. Heavy wool flannel. Soft horsehide sweatbands. Soft and pliable. Identical in quality of construction and material to the caps of old.
The various repro caps made by American Needle, Blue Marlin, Mitchell & Ness, Roman Pro, New Era, etc employ the shoddiest of materials and craftmanship and use modern patterns. The worst.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
well I done gone and done it... I just ordered a 1943 Army baseball cap from Cooperstown so I will all let ya know just how good these caps are, thanks
for your help and advice....

nightandthecity

Practically Family
actually daddy-oh, re Scotrace's pic of the (Eastman?) B-2, that would be the ideal partner for your B-6...and they are pretty cheap too, as Gary E. gets to make them from jacket offcuts and the construction is pretty simple. I think about ?Ǭ£35/$50??

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
nightandthecity said:
actually daddy-oh, re Scotrace's pic of the (Eastman?) B-2, that would be the ideal partner for your B-6...and they are pretty cheap too, as Gary E. gets to make them from jacket offcuts and the construction is pretty simple. I think about ?Ǭ£35/$50??

$115 & shipping - not cheap. But a GREAT cap!

hatflick1

Practically Family
VINTAGE BALLS CAPS

Try Ebbett's Flannels. I believe the company is up in Wahington, maybe Seattle. Their catalogue regularly offers old style, and now defunct, styles. logos and teams. Wool quality. Fitted.

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I got outbid on B-2 Eastmans cap last week but I really want the rough wear version, looks smarter and cooler. They are definately not cheap, 50 quid
plus postage ...

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
ok, my Coopertown 1943 Airforce cap arrived last week. To tell you the truth I am a wee bit dissapointed. The construction and the look of the cap remind me me of a strange cross between a 70?Ǭ¥s trucker cap and one of those caps they all wear in China . I always thought from movies and photos that caps in the 40s were real head huggers, simple construction. Well obviously I was wrong if this is suppose to be a copy of a 40?Ǭ¥s cap. Anyway I have to tuck in the back part in order to press it down in the front and it is just about wearable with my B-10 jacket. Shame though, an el cheapo cotton cap I bought on the markets for 6 euros a few weeks ago looks much more retro than this 44 USD creation. Should have bought another one really and saved the dough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats