Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are black trousers so unpopular?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Reading some modern fashion/style guides (some of which are awful, some acceptable) they all seem to give the advice that odd black trousers are not suitable for sport coat-trouser combinations. Whilst black trousers may not be as versatile as grey flannels I still think they're a very useful item to have in one's wardrobe. I often like wearing them with a beige tweed jacket or with something like this:
img1357sd.jpg

Does anyone else see the use of odd black trousers (or the trousers to a black suit used as separates)?

Hal

Practically Family
Does anyone else see the use of odd black trousers (or the trousers to a black suit used as separates)?
Yes, but only when the other major item of clothing is grey, such as a grey tweed jacket or a light grey jumper or sweatshirt. The shirt could then be white, blue, lilac or even a bluer shade of pink.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yes, but only when the other major item of clothing is grey, such as a grey tweed jacket or a light grey jumper or sweatshirt. The shirt could then be white, blue, lilac or even a bluer shade of pink.
I agree, hence why I wore a grey jacket in the picture I posted. Other colours can work though, such as beige and in some cases even brown (at least in the case of my leather jacket).

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Reading some modern fashion/style guides (some of which are awful, some acceptable) they all seem to give the advice that odd black trousers are not suitable for sport coat-trouser combinations. Whilst black trousers may not be as versatile as grey flannels I still think they're a very useful item to have in one's wardrobe. I often like wearing them with a beige tweed jacket or with something like this:
img1357sd.jpg

I personally think Black is a very good choice for wearing with different jackets and attire. Black goes with many colors, Grey yes, Red, White or Cream, and a variety of sweater or vest combinations. I think Black when well cleaned and pressed has a "crisp" look to it all it's own, just like how your trousers look in your picture. Very nice look, by the way, very professional and sharp!

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I do the same as you, Alan. I've been wearing black trousers from one of my suits through the last few weeks and it's worked just fine. About the only colour I wouldn't try matching with the black trousers is olive green. Anything else seems to work spot-on; it provides a nice contrast.

I also must say that you remind me distinctly of Buster Keaton in facial structure and hairstyle - it's rather impressive.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I am going to expose myself as a rube here, but I have been known to wear black trousers with light brown/dark tan tweeds and cotton jackets. It might break the rules, but I think that as long as the colors are contrasting shades it is fine. (Do I have to give up my Lounge membership now? )

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I am going to expose myself as a rube here, but I have been known to wear black trousers with light brown/dark tan tweeds and cotton jackets. It might break the rules, but I think that as long as the colors are contrasting shades it is fine. (Do I have to give up my Lounge membership now? )
As I mentioned I like wearing black trousers with a brown leather jacket because I think it works (I will post proof of this when I can get a picture). If it looks OK then I think there is nothing wrong with the combinations you mentioned, though my preference would be grey trousers with those colour jackets. I think the bottom line is that are no rules when it comes to colour combining as long as it is aesthetically pleasing.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I personally think Black is a very good choice for wearing with different jackets and attire. Black goes with many colors, Grey yes, Red, White or Cream, and a variety of sweater or vest combinations. I think Black when well cleaned and pressed has a "crisp" look to it all it's own, just like how your trousers look in your picture. Very nice look, by the way, very professional and sharp!
Thank you. The beauty of wearing braces is that it makes creases look so clean and perfect even in a material like flannel which is quick to lose them.

Matt_the_Chap said:
I also must say that you remind me distinctly of Buster Keaton in facial structure and hairstyle - it's rather impressive.
Thank you :). He does look a bit like me, especially with him being "the great stone face" as one of the greatest criticisms some people have of me is my lack of facial expression.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Reading some modern fashion/style guides (some of which are awful, some acceptable) they all seem to give the advice that odd black trousers are not suitable for sport coat-trouser combinations.....
Yes, it started on the menswear forums (which influence mags and guides) where there is a general dislike for wearing black suits (except for funerals), black odd trousers (waiter wear) and to a certain degree black shoes (boring and unattractive). It's simply a case where the personal preference of a few members (often prominent) becomes the mantra of the less knowledgeable members before finally attaining Rule status.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it started on the menswear forums (which influence mags and guides) where there is a general dislike for wearing black suits (except for funerals), black odd trousers (waiter wear) and to a certain degree black shoes (boring and unattractive). It's simply a case where the personal preference of a few members (often prominent) becomes the mantra of the less knowledgeable members before finally attaining Rule status.
I hate it when opinions are passed of as rules (I may have been guilty of doing so regarding black neckties but I have since repented). There is nothing wrong with black in suits, shoes, trousers, jackets, ties or shirts. In some cases it is best used with caution but it can be a very versatile colour as proven by the outfit I posted which is far from sombre. And black shoes are neither boring nor unattractive but elegant and appropriate in nearly all situations where shoes are appropriate.

The opinion passed off as a rule thing even went as far as advising people not to wear French cuffed shirts to a job interview (so as not to appear to be showing off one's jewellery) and not to wear a peaked lapelled dinner jacket (so as not to stand out) on one site which otherwise gave quite good advice (advocating high waisted trousers and three piece suits).

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I wear black hollywood waist trousers with so many of my gab shirts its silly. I see no problem with wearing black trousers whatsoever. Wear what you like.

Black was a rare colour to find on clothes back in the 1950s. Just try finding a pair of solid black trousers or better yet, an entire black suit from the 50s. And I don't mean with stripes or other colours, just solid black. I have a friend who owns one in jet black rayon gab. The best suit ever that is insanely rare. I own a mid 50s black suit, but even mine has the slightest hint of greyish fleck. It's as close as Ill ever get though.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Black was a rare colour to find on clothes back in the 1950s.

From what people of that generation have told me, many refused to wear or own plain black suits and often forbade their wives and girlfriends to wear solely black dresses because of the funeral connotations. Of course, that's just their memories and opinions, but it does pose a point when we consider how hard it is to find pure black suits that don't seem to have some element of formality stuck on. (I.E - strollers and so on.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have a friend who owns one in jet black rayon gab. The best suit ever that is insanely rare.

I have a confession to make, and I'm not proud of it.

When I was 18, I went into a Salvation Army thrift store in Glendale, California, and spotted an early 1950s double-breasted suit in jet black, drapey, smooth-finish wool gabardine. The trousers had a high Hollywood waist, very wide legs, and somewhat pegged bottoms. The suit was in perfect condition, about a size 40. The tagged price was $25, a lot for the Salvation Army thrifts back then.

I didn't have enough money for the suit, and was too young and stupid to fully appreciate it anyway. So ... I took the pants off the hanger and bought them alone. Yes, I separated the suit.

Had the pants for years, and always felt guilty about it. I should have donated them back to the thrift store, but instead I traded 'em.

To this day, I regret what I did ... and dream about that damned suit.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
While this isn't necessarily regarding proper slacks, recently I opted to buy the navy blue chinos rather than the black ones, probably a subconscious decision made in the moment. I guess I thought that the blue in the navy (though dark and close to black) would look more interesting than the starkly dark color of black. I'm not even sure if black is a normal color, as far as chino pants are concerned. You bring up an interesting point, Avedwards. As a matter in fact, I would say I'm generally disinclined to wear any sort of black colored pants (or a black suit for that matter, for similar reasons), but I would not mind owning a pair of black slacks at some point after I have the greys, blues, browns, and tans covered first. I think I may be a "victim," so to speak, of all of those websites' advice as you mentioned, whatever they may be.

sproily

Practically Family
I am surprised to hear you say that in the 50's black was almost forbidden. I have come across, and owned numerous 1950's black suits. It is actually the most common Finnish suit to find.

Black european suits are much more common than American ones. Also, much more common in 1930s US than later (I own 2 NRA labelled 3-piece plain black worsted suits).

The vast majority of the proscriptions in menswear are simply opinion. No brown in town is a classic example of an opinion (Hardy Amies') taken as mantra. (I also think he's misunderstood, and was trying to get provincials to leave their shooting breeks at home when in a city, not that one should not wear anything brown in an urban place.)

Black odd trousers, now. Last time I wore odd black trousers was with a baby blue 1930s sportscoat. The coat is sooo light blue that the only way to work with it is total contrast.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace