Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1960s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Practically Family
I have no problems with the 60's. To each their own! In fact, it was what got me started on my vintage obsession! [huh] I still sometimes think I lived a past life in that turbulent decade! :p

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't talking about anyone. I just speculated that for a bunch of people who are swimming against the tide of the mainstream culture, I would think they would have a certain appreciation for a decade that respected and appreciated that attitude.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Be happy for boring because if you were of draft age in the 1960s you would be on a plane or boat to Vietnam after basic training. I suppose that wouldn't be very boring though. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Oh yeah, those stinky hippies insured we could never get away with a draft again. of course, no draft may make it easier to fight wars without popular public resistance. No value judgements, but I am sure if there was no draft, the anti war movement would not have been near as big.

reetpleat said:
Oh yeah, those stinky hippies insured we could never get away with a draft again. of course, no draft may make it easier to fight wars without popular public resistance. No value judgements, but I am sure if there was no draft, the anti war movement would not have been near as big.

Uh, politics aside please.
A voluntary military force makes it so that people who actually want to go do. That's it.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can't convince me that classical is relevant by noting the only reason most people are familiar with it is from movies! lol Yo Yo Ma is amazing, so is Gershwin, but a concert at an inauguration does not relevancy make. It's not about "importance" in that situation, it's about class, prestige. Pop/rock music is not about those things.

And I certainly do not think that importance is "enduring familiarity." I was thinking "made rock music mainstream and created the modern music industry" for better or worse. Elvis and Sun Records blazed the trail by stealing black music, but the Beatles made it ok for squares. For better or for worse.

And the Beatles made tons of albums, not just the early stolen-from-Sun-artists stuff but later, think about Back in the USSR and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. This is good music, IMHO; innovative.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
You can't convince me that classical is relevant by noting the only reason most people are familiar with it is from movies! lol Yo Yo Ma is amazing, so is Gershwin, but a concert at an inauguration does not relevancy make. It's not about "importance" in that situation, it's about class, prestige. Pop/rock music is not about those things.

And I certainly do not think that importance is "enduring familiarity." I was thinking "made rock music mainstream and created the modern music industry" for better or worse. Elvis and Sun Records blazed the trail by stealing black music, but the Beatles made it ok for squares. For better or for worse.

And the Beatles made tons of albums, not just the early stolen-from-Sun-artists stuff but later, think about Back in the USSR and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. This is good music, IMHO; innovative.

Good points all -- but the same could have been said about Benny Goodman in 1935. Before the "Swing Era", popular music was about *the song.* Goodman and his contemporaries made it more about *the specific artists* recording that song, and in doing so saved the recording industry from irrelevance and bankruptcy. The swing era made improvisational jazz into mainstream pop music, and, yes, made it OK even for squares -- even the likes of Ish Kabibble could tear off a hot solo now and then.

But tastes changed, jazz ceased to be the "pop music" of the moment, and something new came along, and the story wrote itself all over again. The Swing Generation died off, more or less, and left only niche enthusiasts behind. And I suspect that'll happen all over again with the Beatles, and all the rest of sixties rock/pop. Today's "most influential artists" are bound to be tomorrow's relics. Something new will come along, and people will say "Oh yeah, they had some good songs didn't they? How'd that one go again?"

Miss_Bella_Hell said:

I thought Pat Boone made such music ok for squares. [huh] :p
Aside from that, from 1962 to 1970 The Beatles released twelve original albums, twelve EPs , one double EP, and twenty-four singles (mainly featuring original music not found on their albums). That includes the stolen stuff. They existed for eight years period. There were a lot of influential bands that existed for far longer than that and have had a greater influence. The Rolling Stones being just one of them from that time. Must have been that pact with the Devil Mick signed in the 1960s. ;) :p
Then again there was this redeeming video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5sc5Ktbs64

Heather

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I thought Pat Boone made such music ok for squares. [huh] :p
Aside from that, from 1962 to 1970 The Beatles released twelve original albums, twelve EPs , one double EP, and twenty-four singles (mainly featuring original music not found on their albums). That includes the stolen stuff. They existed for eight years period. There were a lot of influential bands that existed for far longer than that and have had a greater influence. The Rolling Stones being just one of them from that time. Must have been that pact with the Devil Mick signed in the 1960s. ;) :p
Then again there was this redeeming video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5sc5Ktbs64

Ah yes, as a child of the 80's, I think I was familiar with this before I got into the Beatles. Gotta love George Harrison! :D Although this is a remake but whatever...only version I've heard yet! :)

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Elvis and Sun Records blazed the trail by stealing black music, but the Beatles made it ok for squares. For better or for worse.

So black music was stolen by those white people at Sun records which was in turn stolen by those white English people from Liverpool who then made some good music about being back in the USSR. Nah. I just don't buy this 'stealing the music' stuff. What does it really mean, that I can only play or record music that no one else recorded or I should stick to my own ethnic background when recording music? Maybe this is:eek:fftopic: and all that but I don't swallow that 'stealing black music' stuff. It just doesn't ring true to me.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think musical relevance is like postage stamps: you gotta be dead first before you can be on one. Or to put it another way it's just too soon to say exactly how important the Beatles impact will be on music and culture. The generation that lifted them up onto their pedestal is still with us and in full on nostalgia mode. No one will forget them, but what the world will think of them in 25 or 50 years isn't known.

I will make this guess about it: Rap music has already replaced rock and pop as the important music among the young today so I imagine the Beatles may rate a little less highly in the future.

Sefton said:
I think musical relevance is like postage stamps: you gotta be dead first before you can be on one. Or to put it another way it's just too soon to say exactly how important the Beatles impact will be on music and culture. The generation that lifted them up onto their pedestal is still with us and in full on nostalgia mode. No one will forget them, but what the world will think of them in 25 or 50 years isn't known.

I will make this guess about it: Rap music has already replaced rock and pop as the important music among the young today so I imagine the Beatles may rate a little less highly in the future.

After nearly forty years since they last released an album together, we can kind of see where it is going. However, I hope their generation doesn't lose interest until I get rid of all those lousy records I have laying around. ;) :p
Rap has been around just as long however their prominence is recent. Likely they won't replace rock as they use so much from it. Their background music is sometimes a conglomeration of things that have been written before they came around.

Foofoogal

Banned
I thought you were so naive then.

I was, that is why I took drugs. I was clueless. I quit cause I got sick and tired of people putting joints in my face when I didn't want to smoke. It is so a miracle I survived. Seriously a miracle. Thank you Lord. I saw quite a few buried.
I still think that time is nowhere near as dangerous as this time.

Foofoogal said:
I was, that is why I took drugs. I was clueless. I quit cause I got sick and tired of people putting joints in my face when I didn't want to smoke. It is so a miracle I survived. Seriously a miracle. Thank you Lord. I saw quite a few buried.
I still think that time is nowhere near as dangerous as this time.

I don't think they had the Just Say No campaign I guess.
The times might have been a bit more dangerous as that stuff was everywhere and available. That was dangerous to people in a naive time. Now, the children know more about it than we do. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic