Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing I do miss about the 70s was the limited amount of TV programs. You are probably saying, "what?" It was great, in that, the next day when you went to school or work, some one would invariably ask, "did you see, MASH, or All In The Family, last night?" Then the fun would start, since every one did. It brought us a lot closer then today, when you can get 1000 different answers to what did you watch last night!

Why do I bother? No one read the nuance of my post, just harped on the two examples. Then again, as I reread the replies, I rest my case!

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
And then there were these commercials with Johnny Cash. Among my friends and I we knew them as, "Buy your gas from Standard...or I'll cut ya!"

Johnny Cash gas.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
To me, this doesn't look bad. This must have been the very early 1970s, when proportions could still be more moderate.

burton-cool-suit1.jpg

However, your eyesight may suffer:

funny-70s-hair+2.jpg

Some more womens' hairstyles, and I think the last three are the most unflattering:

https://tminx.wordpress.com/tag/bad-hair-book/

37fdf0569caa8e3aaedd24573b1490ca.jpg

tumblr_n85qti82Af1qabe6do1_500.jpg

stud-central-2.jpg

The guy on the far left doesn't look so bad, but then:

alphamales.jpg

Not 1970s, but here are some weird pajamas or sweats/tracksuits from the late 1980s or early '90s.

bad-mens-fashions-70s-seventies-clothes-funny-011.jpg

Finally, this one is for James Powers!

kippers-tie64.jpg

:D

Ouch! Thanks for that stroll down memory lane.

Honestly (and thankfully) though, I grew up in the deep south, and stuff like that last pic of the shaggy haired wide tie guy, or the Toni Tenille haircut lady is about as crazy as it got. Sure, we saw all that other pimpalicious looking stuff on TV, but folks around here just weren't wearing it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only man I ever saw actually wear one of those neck-scarf things was that guy from Scooby Doo. Puke-colored suits, however, did show up here around the middle of the decade, and you still see them from time to time.

i
To me, this doesn't look bad. This must have been the very early 1970s, when proportions could still be more moderate.

burton-cool-suit1.jpg

However, your eyesight may suffer:

funny-70s-hair+2.jpg

Some more womens' hairstyles, and I think the last three are the most unflattering:

https://tminx.wordpress.com/tag/bad-hair-book/

37fdf0569caa8e3aaedd24573b1490ca.jpg

tumblr_n85qti82Af1qabe6do1_500.jpg

stud-central-2.jpg

The guy on the far left doesn't look so bad, but then:

alphamales.jpg

Not 1970s, but here are some weird pajamas or sweats/tracksuits from the late 1980s or early '90s.

bad-mens-fashions-70s-seventies-clothes-funny-011.jpg

Finally, this one is for James Powers!

kippers-tie64.jpg

:D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The tacky, it burns. Need eye bleach NOW!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes it was. That bowtie looks like a propeller---it is so damned big. What was it back then with the big bow ties? They look stupid.
Oh yes and who stole the gold Lamé drapes for that dress? lol lol

The outfit was not complete until you put on a pair of these !
212zssn.png

It's "disco " time :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner