Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why? Why? WHY?!!!!!!!!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Arghhh, I'm so mad I could spit! (not really I just need to vent)
I'm on ebay, and finding some of the most beautiful 30's and 40's clothes for great prices, and they're all 26 waists!!!:rage: :rage: Needless to say I am not, I'm only short by like 3 inches, but it just doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, as in away!!! And of course it's easier and less expensive to take things in rather than enlarge them. (sigh)

It really ticks me off to be so close and yet so far...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its alright...

I am FAR (waaaaaaaaaay farrrr) from being a 24" waist. Keep in mind the majority of the items that have survived the times are those that were not in heavy use. Trust me, there were PLENTY of 29"+ waists in the golden era. But those clothes got worn, so they didnt make it to good ole 2006+. *sigh*

I take that as consolation :eek:

You can find many different sizes of vintage garb, you just have to be a bloodhound lol

I feel your pain CanadaDoll, you are not alone.

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
You're right Lady Day, it's just frustrating, and it's nice to vent every once in a while:) it's no fun not being the "magic size" as Robyn at work says, she had the opposite problem where she was so thin she didn't fit any womens clothes and had to wear boys. Maybe I'll just have to get creative for a while.

I would feel a lot healthier though if I lost some weight.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm a 26 inch waist, but I never find stuff my size! Would you mind letting me know which seller has this stuff? Pretty please?

The problem with me is that I have a 33/34 inch bust (B cup), and most dresses I seem to find that fit my waist and hip measurements are too big in the bust. It makes me feel inadequate!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I don't know which sellers in particular, but right now the first five pages of ebay.com has lots of 26s have fun!!! and enjoy being pretty in vintage! it's also pretty easy to tailor the bust and hips, but honestly! how did these women get 26 and then like 40 in the bust. They must have had help!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I totally know how you feel. I'm running into the same situation. I keep seeing these great dresses, all at much lower prices than I've seen in the past. I find myself crossing my fingers as I wait for the page to load. I don't bother reading any of the descriptions, I immediately scroll down to the sizing information, and am more often than not, disappointed.
Last week there was a lot more stuff in my size. So I had my hopes up. I had some good luck with winning too, which was a change of pace. I don't know if it has to do with the holiday's, but there seems to be a lot of good vintage, and as I've said, it's at much better prices than it was a few months ago. But, you're right, all the stuff I've come across in the past few day's has smaller than average waists.
I feel your frustration. I did scoop up a bunch of dresses last week, and surprisingly the sellers measurements were spot on, which is a rarity. But now, I find myself looking at all of these beautiful dresses, none of which will fit my new curvier figure. :(

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH is exactly how I feel when searching for 40s platforms in my size! On the rare occasion they come up, they sell for approximately 8 million dollars.:mad:

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
This is why I love my corsets and girdles! I'm a 28 waist right now but can cinch down to a 25. My goal is to lose the rest of this baby weight and not have to wear them tho. Not holding my breath on that one, esp. with the holidays upon us![huh]
You may not want to corset up all the time, but if you find a drop dead gorgeous ball gown or something you wouldn't wear very often it would be a good idea!

Just keep searching girls, you'll find your sizes, they are certainly out there!

Nikki

Viviene

Vendor
You might try places other than Ebay. The majority of vintage sellers at other locations have been or are Ebay sellers as well. If you are concerned about whether they are honest sellers or not check out the Vintage Fashion Guild link below. The members have a code of ethics they must follow. If they don't they are not there anymore. I can vouch for any of the members listed there. I am also a member. The link below is not a selling site. It is a list of the members and their locations. You simply click on their link.

http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/content/blogcategory/61/131/

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Its alright...

I am FAR (waaaaaaaaaay farrrr) from being a 24" waist. Keep in mind the majority of the items that have survived the times are those that were not in heavy use. Trust me, there were PLENTY of 29"+ waists in the golden era. But those clothes got worn, so they didnt make it to good ole 2006+. *sigh*

I take that as consolation :eek:

You can find many different sizes of vintage garb, you just have to be a bloodhound lol

I feel your pain CanadaDoll, you are not alone.

LD

Such a great point Lady Day! I'm always tired of people telling me that "people were smaller back then"....

But as a woman who has more than a few inches more than 24 around her waist eBay can be something of a frustrating deal. But with perserverence (sp?) you can find some gems on there.

Now, the only solution I've found for getting vintage shoes for my size 10s is Remix shoes. Sigh!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
I'm a 26 inch waist, but I never find stuff my size! Would you mind letting me know which seller has this stuff? Pretty please?

The problem with me is that I have a 33/34 inch bust (B cup), and most dresses I seem to find that fit my waist and hip measurements are too big in the bust. It makes me feel inadequate!

Ha! I'm the exact same measurements, and I have the same problem! I can't find anything and when I do find something nice it goes for like a zillion dollars! I've taken to wearing "contoured" undergarments.(Love those modern euphemisms.)

Suits are the big problem for me. I can never find any suits that fit at all.

BV

pigeon toe

One Too Many
BettyValentine said:
Ha! I'm the exact same measurements, and I have the same problem! I can't find anything and when I do find something nice it goes for like a zillion dollars! I've taken to wearing "contoured" undergarments.(Love those modern euphemisms.)

Suits are the big problem for me. I can never find any suits that fit at all.

BV

I'm exactly the same on the suits as well! I am pretty petite, and have very narrow shoulders, so its pretty much impossible for me to find ANY type of jacket, coat, cardigans even (!) that will fit me in the shoulders.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Thanks for the sympathy ladies, stupid time ruining pretty dresses!:rage:
It's really nice to vent every once in a while though, thanks for bearing with me.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner