Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WILD ORANGES (1924)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Anyone seen this film or even heard of it? It's a rare King Vidor directed film that apparently screened on TCM a few years ago but I have yet to find a copy of it. It sounds similar to Maurice Tourneur's often overlooked post WW1 pacificist film, VICTORY (1919). But in Vidor's version of the story, he opts for including a maniacal killer aboard the island!

Here's a description of the King Vidor film followed by a review from IMDB....

"Millie Stope lives with her grandfather on a remote island off the Florida coast. Her grandfather fled there for political reasons. But they're not alone. An escaped prisoner, Nicholas, is terrorizing them, and further more, he's interested in Mllie. John Woolfolk has lost his wife in an accident and tries to forget by sailing in his yacht aimlessly on the ocean. By chance he drops anchor in a bay of that island. He soon finds out that something is wrong on that island, and furthermore, he falls in love with Millie, who sees in him a chance to get off that island. But Nicholas has threatened her with rape and murder if she tries to escape, and he has found out about her plans..."

and one of the reviews....

"Interesting, atmospheric silent film about a man, John Woolfolk (Frank Mayo), who has isolated himself from the world after the death of his young bride in a horse and buggy accident, spending three years traveling at sea on a small sailing vessel, a sailor/cook as his only companion. The boat heads into an isolated Southern swampland one day, inhabited only by one old man, bug-eyed with fear of strangers, his lonely, fearful granddaughter Millie (Virginia Valli), and a big, filthy brute, described as "part man/part child", who is a sort of backwoods hillbilly, running around with a snarl on his face and forcing poor little Millie to kiss him or be thrown in the swamp full of alligators. Yeah, a real cretin. When John meets lovely Millie, it appears to be love at first sight for these two as Millie, apparently never having encountered an attractive man in her life, can't seem to keep her hands from touching, grabbing, and rubbing the front of his shirt. Well, our man is scared of falling in love again - so backs off from her. But - love may just conquer both their fears in the end!

This film is really excellent with an involving, sometimes exciting, sometimes romantic story. The whole feeling to the film is greatly enhanced by the very nice on-location photography - scenes lit by the morning sun, and an exotic atmosphere lush with a landscape draped in Spanish moss, orange trees and orange blossoms, grandfather constantly peeking through the shutters of the old, rundown Southern mansion where they live, a constantly barking dog, critters roaming about, and the breeze flying through the mossy swampland - I felt like I was there. A well-done scene at sea where the camera is strapped on the rocking boat actually made me feel seasick (okay, I admit, it doesn't take much to make me seasick). The print, as featured on TCM, looked very nice, tinted in parts a variety of tones including sepia, blue, pink, and orange shades. The music featured here was suitably atmospheric, moody, and mysterious - a very nice accompaniment to the film. Very enjoyable and entertaining."

65be_1.JPG

11446.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Hey Mike. I think this is showing on TCM within the next week or so.

Tomorrow! I wrote them about it a few months ago.... I wonder if they actually acted on my suggestion...?! :eek: :D

mike

Call Me a Cab
Oh! And by the way, I found a copy from a private dealer in the meantime. It's an incredible film containing lots of haunting, odd elements without being particularly heavy handed (excluding the shell shocked Civil War vet.) Vidor's film predates the Old Dark House genre picture which was initially created by the stage play of The Bat. This fact means the film is able to experiment with the idea of a mad family in a rotting mansion without becoming a genre picture the likes of which eventually followed over the next few decades with the Cat & the Canary, the Last Warning, the Bat Whispers, the Old Dark House, etc... culminating in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I don't want to say too much about the storyline or the hell of an ending as hopefully some of you guys will be able to check it out tomorrow, but WOW! exciting stuff! :D

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Checking the schedule, setting the machine. Keeping with the vintage theme, I still use a vcr. (yipes)
Have you seen "Broken Blossoms"? A very heartbreaking piece of silent work.

mike

Call Me a Cab
ThesFlishThngs said:
Not tomorrow, but Sept. 20.

Oh! Pardon me! You're right :eusa_doh: I don't have cable at the moment so I just knew it was mid-September and thought it was this weekend.

I have not seen Broken Blossoms but I have a copy of it and am really looking forward to watching it! I love brokenhearted stories! Especially the bittersweetness of Lon Chaney & Charlie Chaplin. Have you seen Shadows? Possibly Chaney's best work.. hard to say for certain as he had so many distinct high points.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Cool! How big is a "lobby card"?

Thanks! What a weird thing since this film is so rare and odd?! Life rules! haha

11"x17" - so "card" is a bit misleading because they're actually a very decent, presentable size!

They were produced as sets. Generally the logo featured prominently on the title lobby card and the rest of the cards featured stills from the different scenes of the films. Different decades produced different quantities of lobby cards within the sets but from memory (and I could be wrong) they were usually 8 to 12 cards in a set. Generally, when I find something like this, I look out for a vintage frame and have them mounted on acid-free backing and light-blocking glass. Archivally speaking this will significantly prolong the life of the artwork, at least until the end of life as we know it in 3 years from now. :)

Maybe I should do a thread documenting my film posters and stuff. I have a lot that are still in storage though [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR