Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will Elder, MAD founder, dead at 86

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Will Elder, Cartoonist of Satiric Gifts and Overpopulated Scenes, Dies at 86 - NY Times

flavorbudsgirl.jpg

starchie1.jpg

Will_Elder_Restaurant.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I have very few MAD Magazines, but I grab every book I can from their first few decades: 50s, 60s and 70s. The first two decades are the best. Elder was a master. Love his work.

Lee

MAD about MAD inc.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I love so much of his stuff, the Mad comic parodies, Little Annie Fanny and Goodman Beaver included, but my favourite, favourites are the movie parodies he did for Help!, especially the Frankenstein parody. Funny, heck yeah, but also a beautiful chaos of cross-hatching arriving, somehow, at a perfect compostion of page aas well as panel. He was a kookily brilliant maverick, and there are very few of his like left in the world.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read that Starchie comic around 1956, when it was pretty new. It's really SICK! Almost gave me nightmares! He did a SuperDuperMan comic that in the same vein. Really almost scarey weird. He dwelt out there on the edge of the fringe of the outer limits.
RIP.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
R.I.P.

I loved his stuff in MAD. He could copy someone elses style but also had his own. His panels tended to have little bits of extra funny going on in the background. I think he did the take-off of "Gasoline Alley" that I loved when I was young.
I have to did some of that stuff out in his honor.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I read all of MAD's spoofs in earlier editions of these, which include; Superduperman, Shermlock Shomes and The Hound of the Basketballs, spoofs of Alice in Wonderland and Poe's The Raven; G. I. Shmoe, Smilin' Melvin, Ping Pong (King Kong), Dragged Net, Prince Violent, and much more insanity written by Elder, Wood, et. al. I collected these volumes about four years ago. I still read through them often, along with several other books.

MAD-inc.jpg

Lee

Still MAD (inc) after all these years.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Somewhere in my basement is a box with MAD magazines from the '70's.
I grew up with Alfred E. Nuemans philosophy, "What...Me Worry?".
RIP Will Elder.

I lost all of my Mad magazines with the dumping of my comic books. However there are some bits and pieces of those old ones from the 60's stamped into my memory. It was a special part of my childhood and teen years.

kampkatz

Practically Family
I went to Iona College in New Rochelle, NY in the late 60's early 70's. Mad Magazine portrayed many scenes in that city since one of the artists lived there. All my comics are long gone.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Bummin. I was a freak for MAD... still am, I guess. The Batman cover was the issue when I was born. I liked Elder, but Don Martin was my all-time fave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner