Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wind and rain-- and vintage hair?!

r lush

New in Town
It has been really stormy and rainy in Seattle (imagine that!). What do you gals do to protect your locks in the elements?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I decided to invest in a bubble umbrella so I could hide my head inside the bubble and still somewhat see where I am going.

As rainy as it is in Seattle, I absolutely adore it on a gorgeous summer day. Almost enough to move there at times.... almost lol

JazzBaby

Practically Family
MissHuff said:
I decided to invest in a bubble umbrella so I could hide my head inside the bubble and still somewhat see where I am going.

As rainy as it is in Seattle, I absolutely adore it on a gorgeous summer day. Almost enough to move there at times.... almost lol

I have one of these too - I live on the wet and windy Atlantic coat in Ireland. They're a pain to carry around but they don't blow inside out when it's very windy and as Miss Huff mentioned, you don't have to lift them up to see where you're going.

And if I'm having an updo day, I stick on a cute bakerboy hat:D

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I keep thinking how I need a really big tubular kind of headscarf to go over my head and neck or just a long scarf to wind around, a-la Lady Day in her pics. But I haven't really gone out to look for one - not sure what to look for really!

ferula98

New in Town
Oh one of my biggest hates, i cant stand spending ages on a hairdo just to walkout the door and realise its raining and ive left my umbrella on the third floor. I have brought some sweet cloche hats recently which work well for a more 1930's look. I really need to invest in a small umbrella that fits in my bag but im a sucker for the elaborate impractical vintage affairs. I'm sure you can all relate!

www.flairinaladysboudoir.blogspot.com

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Much as I love my hair down, bad weather days are always updo days for me. I like to use a cute scarf as a turban, with a few spit curls peeking out around the rim. Very easy and low-maintenance, plus it makes me feel like Carmen Miranda or Norma Desmond (good things in my book lol).

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
A scarf or a plastic cap!

regenkap.jpg

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Snoods (the small, bun-cover kind) and headscarves/bandanas worn in a number of different ways are my go-tos! Recently I've been going for a cute 50s teen look with a ribbon-tied ponytail and curled bangs. The turban look, tied in a knot at the front, is the best thing for when there's just no hope of maintaining any kind of hairstyle! I used to just wear it to cover my rollers at night but I slowly convinced myself that it looked good enough to wear in the day!

I second the bubble umbrella idea too, though given their larger size I tend to leave them behind in places- after having lost two in a fairly short space of time, I went back to having the handbag-sized ones. They're obviously not as good, but I think some weather is so foul that you have to just grit your teeth and bear it :(

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm terrible for losing umbrellas too Frenchy, but when i had one those bubble ones are great.

If it's raining in the morning when i'm getting ready for work, i tend not to brush out my set too much, if at all, if i have had rollers in the night before and put on a headscarf ,(Queen Elizabeth style, knotted under the chin), extra lacquer too, then hope for the best when i get to work. I work on my own so i can titivate a bit in front of the mirror when i get there. (A fellow lounger posted that piece of advice on here, or on their blog, i can't remember who it was, oops, but thanks! Life-saving bit of advice!

A rosie style headscarf is always a good look too if i haven't set my hair, i can also make it work with more dressy outfits by wearing a more glam silk scarf and some killer earrings!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
A rosie style headscarf is always a good look too if i haven't set my hair, i can also make it work with more dressy outfits by wearing a more glam silk scarf and some killer earrings!

I agree! I tend to save bandanas for when I want to do a more kitschy, casual look, and use silky scarves most of the time.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
Yay, I bought a bubble umbrella thanks to this thread. :) What a great invention!

My curls still fall out if the air is humid though, even if they aren't directly rained on. The only things that help are keeping them contained with a scarf, snood or hair net and taking them down again only after I've been inside for a while. Or wearing them up in a curl preserving updo - my favourite is putting the front and sides up in rolls and doing either an upward roll or three large, flat pincurls in the back. Then I take the back down when I arrive at work or wherever I'm going to stay inside for the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran