Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing tip shoes

Txmason

Familiar Face
I am in the market for a pair of brown shoes to wear with my khakis and navy blazer for summer. What suggestions do you have for a comfortable shoe? I found this one listed below. Sorry I could not post a photo. I normally wear Rockports. Any recommendations for Rockport shoes or any other brand? I do wear orthotics in my shoes so the inner soles need to be removable.

Thank you so much!

Jerry

http://m.jcpenney.com/mt/www.jcpenn...0&CmCatId=searchresults#un_jtt_jump_un_goBtn0
$50 everyday
Stafford® Ashton Mens Wingtip
These classic wingtip oxford dress shoes offer 100% GQ style.
Wingtip:
• leather upper
• lace-up
• leather lining with EVA foam sock Zcushion
• synthetic sole
Overall Rating:
5 out of 5
Read all reviews
Brown

$50
Quantity
check your store for this item
Before checking the in-store availability, complete the selections above

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
The styling looks classic enough, but the construction leaves much to be desired. Not something you should expect to last more than a single season, though you're not going to find anything better for less than five or six times that price.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Rockport in general is a decent shoe, however, I would suggest you examine a shoe before you actually purchase it, and see if the soles are only "glued" on, are they "plastic" or a "rubber" compound instead of leather, and of course, how comfortable are they going to be?

A well made shoe can last for years with proper maintenance, and them if the soles or heels wear out, a shoe repairman more than likely may be able to "rebuild" the shoe with new soles/heels.

Another point I always consider when buying a pair of dress shoes, is, how much does the shoe weigh? A well made shoe will have some weight to it, a poorly made shoe will be light, as it has no substance to the materials used.

What size are you looking for?

Txmason

Familiar Face
I have a pair of Rockport black dress shoes that ate waterproof, but i am looking for two types of shoes. The first a pair to wear with khakis and a navy blazer. I also have a grey, black , and tan blazer too along with black, khaki and grey slacks.

Second a pair to wear with other clothes mainly the above clothes because being a big guy I don't like to wear shorts. So I wear lots of pants instead.

The pair of rockports I have lasted a long time but are heavy and I'd like to have a pair of light ever day shoes. What brand names and models should I look for?

Rockport in general is a decent shoe, however, I would suggest you examine a shoe before you actually purchase it, and see if the soles are only "glued" on, are they "plastic" or a "rubber" compound instead of leather, and of course, how comfortable are they going to be?

A well made shoe can last for years with proper maintenance, and them if the soles or heels wear out, a shoe repairman more than likely may be able to "rebuild" the shoe with new soles/heels.

Another point I always consider when buying a pair of dress shoes, is, how much does the shoe weigh? A well made shoe will have some weight to it, a poorly made shoe will be light, as it has no substance to the materials used.

What size are you looking for?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Boushi is right, if you want a really nice set of wingtips that will last, you'll have to spend a bit more. I prefer Allen Edmonds, I have two pairs and they are gorgeous. Also, though I've never tried this, I hear you can go to any store and get them resoled any time you like.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What you're looking for is a Goodyear Welt.

Find a shoe at whatever cost with a Goodyear welt and you should be fine. I say "any cost", but chances you won't find new shoes under the $200+ range with this construction. Goodyear welts not only mean a decent construction, it also means you can have the shoe resoled.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you can settle for some well-made, but probably lower quality shoes like Florsheim, Clark's Bostonian, Johnston&Murphy's, etc., or in other words, stuff you'd find in Younkers, JCPenny's, Herbergers, Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Van Maur, etc.

I know there will be many adverse opinions to modern Florsheim's, and I'm not going to say most opinions aren't warranted, but if you're interested in a decent dress shoe, you should check them out. I think the factory has started picking itself back up a little and one may be able to find a pair of decent wingtips for around $150. Sure, they're not Alden's, but you might like them. I've been wearing a pair of Florsheim cordovan wingtips for the last five years and they're great.

You might also look at Clark's Bostonians or Johnston&Murphy's. I know, I know - they're not the finest handmade leather shoes one can find in some obscure Italian shop, but they'll look nice, and they won't break your bank.

Shop around your local mega-malls, try some on, see how they feel. Once you get a feel for the different brands, you'll see which features you prefer over others.

Note* I wouldn't buy Florsheims at a mall unless it's an upscale retailer like Bloomingdales or Van Maur. Anything you find in a typical mall store will be crap.

Txmason

Familiar Face
No my budget is not set at $50. I just found them browsing around online and through dappered.com

What would you suggest as a shoe for summer? Something to pair with khakis, grey slacks and black slacks. I also have a grey, sand and black sportcoat.

Best,
Jerry

QUOTE=Isshinryu101;1413382]Is your budget set at $50? If you spend more, you will get a much higher quality shoe that will LAST MUCH LONGER.[/QUOTE]

Fifty150

One Too Many
What you're looking for is a Goodyear Welt.

Find a shoe at whatever cost with a Goodyear welt and you should be fine. I say "any cost", but chances you won't find new shoes under the $200+ range with this construction.

10458001.png

3989 BROGUE BEX SOLE

Color: BLACK & WHITE
Material: SMOOTH
Product Code: 398996019

$110.00
Free ground delivery
[video=youtube_share;tH1qLsfSSL4]http://youtu.be/tH1qLsfSSL4[/video]

Fifty150

One Too Many
What would you suggest as a shoe for summer? Something to pair with khakis, grey slacks and black slacks. I also have a grey, sand and black sportcoat.

Best,
Jerry
I know, not a wingtip. But a good summer shoe. I can even go sockless with jeans, khakis, and shorts.
I picked up a pair of these for $60 when they were doing the $35 discount for sending in my old shoes.

Catskill
$95.00

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
10458001.png

3989 BROGUE BEX SOLE

$110.00
Free ground delivery

Sorry to say, but the Doc Marten is an UUUUGGGGLLLLYYYY shoe. Maybe if you like it's look it can work as the 10th pair of shoes one owns, but NOT as a staple wingtip.

Also, I have deconstructed a pair of old doc martens (I owned one in high school), and it is a glued shoe and NOT goodyear welted.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
10458001.png

3989 BROGUE BEX SOLE

$110.00
Free ground delivery

Sorry to say, but the Doc Marten is an UUUUGGGGLLLLYYYY shoe. Maybe if you like it's look it can work as the 10th pair of shoes one owns, but NOT as a staple wingtip.

Also, I have deconstructed a pair of old doc martens (I owned one in high school), and it was a glued shoe. The "welt" was made of rubber and disintegrated over time, but it was basically held together with glue.

Last edited:

wintergreen

New in Town
Also, I have deconstructed a pair of old doc martens (I owned one in high school), and it was a glued shoe. The "welt" was made of rubber and disintegrated over time, but it was basically held together with glue.

I gave up wearing Doc Martens in the early 80's, I just couldnt get a pair to last more than about 3 months.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was going to mention that I'd find it hard to believe a shoe only priced at $110 would have a Goodyear Welt. I'm not saying it's impossible, or even improbable, just unlikely. The welting process is expensive and requires special machines and labor. Sure, if you find a pair of shoes on sale from a decent dress shoe brand, you might get a GYWelt cheap, but even then...

There are some decent shoes to be had that are glued, but they're not as high of quality, plain and simple. If you're not worried about resoling your shoe, then save some jing and go for a mall brand. [huh]

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I was going to mention that I'd find it hard to believe a shoe only priced at $110 would have a Goodyear Welt. I'm not saying it's impossible, or even improbable, just unlikely. The welting process is expensive and requires special machines and labor. Sure, if you find a pair of shoes on sale from a decent dress shoe brand, you might get a GYWelt cheap, but even then...

There are some decent shoes to be had that are glued, but they're not as high of quality, plain and simple. If you're not worried about resoling your shoe, then save some jing and go for a mall brand. [huh]

HERE'S the exact reason why I love Vintage US shoes! If you can deal with used shoes (as I have no problem with them), there are a TON of HAND-WELTED Vintage US shoes out there on Ebay alone. Hand-Welted puts Goodyear to shame (since goodyear is STILL actually held together by glue... ask Shooman about this!). If you know what you're looking for, it's a treasure trove.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars

Those shoes can still be "resoled," just not in the proper GYwelt fashion. The cobbler just grinds down the old sole and glues a new one on. Not saying it's the best option, but it is an option.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Those shoes can still be "resoled," just not in the proper GYwelt fashion. The cobbler just grinds down the old sole and glues a new one on. Not saying it's the best option, but it is an option.

By the time they need a resole (the soles on Docs are quite hardy), the uppers will be trashed... low quality corrected grain as it is.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
By the time they need a resole (the soles on Docs are quite hardy), the uppers will be trashed... low quality corrected grain as it is.

Whoops, guess I should have been more specific. I hadn't meant the Docs in particular, I was referring to just "mall" dress shoes, like a pair of run-of-the-mill Rockports.

There's a guy that works in the mens dept. at The Bay here in town that has a pair of those Docs. He likes to recount to people how he "stayed up for three days" so he could win the auction on ebay. They look like plasticy crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk