Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing tip shoes

Giftmacher

One Too Many
nov1313.jpg
nov1314.jpg

nov1315.jpg
nov1316.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a note for anyone interested...

I've also been looking for some decent black wingtips lately. I'd like a once-in-a-while pair without paying Allen Edmonds/Aldens prices. Seems, I'm out of luck.

Johnston & Murphy doesn't seem to have any models of wingtips in stores, but they have a Greenwhich wingtip online for $275.00. The big deal: refurbishment service? Wow. I should hope that's some fine leather because I could spend $25 more dollars on AE's and have the same refurbishment.

Bostonians are another brand with little wingtip presence in stores, but they at least have a few more models to chose from online (although nothing in my size). Their $119.00 models look cheap with quarter leather lining and removable footbeds. The leather also looks poorly crafted for the cost. Their $139.00 line doesn't look terrible, but their most expensive model, the Vineyard, is probably an okay shoe, save for the price. I mean to say, just like the J&M's, you may as well save the money and get a real pair of shoes.

Florsheim (aka that one company that makes you sad with its failure) has a number of models in many colors, from low, mid and high costs. As usual, their online presense is much more thorough than their store presence, and nearly everything I found at stores was cheap at best. Even the high-end stores I visited didn't carry the Florsheim Imperials, and honestly, you don't want anything less if you're bothering to buy this brand. Their Kenmoor is an alright shoe but is listed online for $225. Unless I was getting it cheaper somewhere else, I wouldn't spend my money.

Cole Haan, again, with little wingtip presence in stores does have a few shoes online, although I guess you'd have to be a hipster to really appreciate what they're offering (suede and bright neon rubber soles, etc). I found one shoe at a store for $150 that was a cheap, lightweight thing made from, what appeared to be, thin patent leather. And regarding their online shoes, for their prices, and the lame shoes they sell, I'd be hard pressed to take them seriously. That said, I own a pair of Cole-Haan patent leather cap toes that aren't too bad, but I rarely wear them.

So I guess be prepared to spend at least $200 and you might as well watch for a deal on better shoes. [huh]

Last edited:

Undertow

This is Fedora Lounge! Best to go TRUE VINTAGE. Do some research, search thoroughly, and get a FANTASTIC pair for under $200.

In size 14? Hardly. Vintage is great for those that can find their fit, but sizes have changed since the 1930's and 40's, and not necessarily in the waist.

While some Loungers cry about squeezing into a 40R with their 42L frame, I'm on the sidelines in a 50L and little chance in finding NOS, Vintage or otherwise. Same goes for hats, same goes for shoes.

I'm sure there are some lovely 14's out there somewhere that need a home, meanwhile, a guy has to have something on his feet, savvy?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
my condolences. to an extent, many suffer from a less severe case of the same malady. I just sent the most incredible collection of shoes to a size 7- 1/2d gentleman. VERY jealous, to say the least.

In size 14? Hardly. Vintage is great for those that can find their fit, but sizes have changed since the 1930's and 40's, and not necessarily in the waist.

While some Loungers cry about squeezing into a 40R with their 42L frame, I'm on the sidelines in a 50L and little chance in finding NOS, Vintage or otherwise. Same goes for hats, same goes for shoes.

I'm sure there are some lovely 14's out there somewhere that need a home, meanwhile, a guy has to have something on his feet, savvy?

Undertow

my condolences. to an extent, many suffer from a less severe case of the same malady. I just sent the most incredible collection of shoes to a size 7- 1/2d gentleman. VERY jealous, to say the least.

I can imagine. I've watched a few suits and a number of beautiful hats all slip through my hands at hopelessly low prices because I couldn't possibly fit into them. In fact, after this wingtip thread started a while back, I'd found a pair of old Florsheim Imperial Longwings in 10's at a local Goodwill. They're gone too. Kinda wish I had picked them up for someone on the lounge. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo