Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do these shoes have leather soles?

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
lexington-wing-tip

They seem to have a sort of half-sole with rubber pads for grip. The heel tap is likely an easy one to have redone, but I don't know about that flush, egg-shaped one on the sole.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The answer is: sort of.

These shoes have leather outsoles; outsoles are the bottommost part of a shoe's sole. The rest of the sole is probably made of something else. Then again, even the outsoles on these shoes have rubber inserts "for traction".

The price seems too low for them to be well-built.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
That rubber piece in the center of the sole (with the non-stick grip) has always been glued on, in my experience. Eventually, that piece begins to fall off. If you don't wear the shoes all the time, that shouldn't be a problem, though.

Not to be critical, but I wouldn't buy any of the China/ India made Florsheims. The leather is pretty cheap, and the construction is glued & sloppy for the most part. Better to look at Allen Edmonds for USA shoes, or maybe Loake for a relatively inexpensive UK shoe. You're probably in the $150 range now, but I think you'll be happy you spent the extra money.

Cheap leather does NOT age well.

flyfishark

Practically Family
I just saw a pair today with the "rubber egg" coming off at the front. I'm not even certain it was leather underneath. I can't say it was a Florsheim, but it was a shoe like that. Little wear, and the shoe was coming apart.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I were you, I'd drop on down to your local JCP to check them out. I understand being on a budget and if these aren't a pair you're planning to wear alot, you might be okay with that pair if the leather is any good.

Dockers also makes an ok pair of cap toes that certainly won't turn too many heads but have lasted me for a couple years with no problem. I believe those are only $50.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
That rubber piece in the center of the sole (with the non-stick grip) has always been glued on, in my experience. Eventually, that piece begins to fall off. If you don't wear the shoes all the time, that shouldn't be a problem, though.

Not to be critical, but I wouldn't buy any of the China/ India made Florsheims. The leather is pretty cheap, and the construction is glued & sloppy for the most part. Better to look at Allen Edmonds for USA shoes, or maybe Loake for a relatively inexpensive UK shoe. You're probably in the $150 range now, but I think you'll be happy you spent the extra money.

Cheap leather does NOT age well.

I like buying USA built when ever I can. So Allen Edmunds is made here in the US? Cool!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
look on eBay. You can buy a great pair of vintage shoes for no more--and probably less--than you'd spend on new shoes that won't last.

Two problems -

1. Vintage shoes tend to mold to their previous owner's feet sometimes causing discomfort.
2. Factors like shoe size and hygiene preferences may prohibit some folks from purchasing vintage shoes.

I still say trot down to JCP and have a gander for yourself. I own three pairs of modern Florsheims - while my two best pairs aren't bulletproof, they've been holding up for me well and I'm hard on shoes. The third pair is garbage. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo