Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing tip shoes

carldelo

One Too Many
I am in the market for a pair of brown shoes to wear with my khakis and navy blazer for summer. What suggestions do you have for a comfortable shoe? I found this one listed below. Sorry I could not post a photo. I normally wear Rockports. Any recommendations for Rockport shoes or any other brand? I do wear orthotics in my shoes so the inner soles need to be removable.

I've had these Ecco shoes for about a year and recommend them highly - they are my most comfortable shoes. The brown would be good for the colors you mention. I've had Rockports in the past, and think that Ecco is a much better shoe.

I too use orthotics and the insoles are removable. However, I have gone without the orthotics lately because they are good enough without. These are lightweight, and have a textile lining that makes them a bit cooler than shoes with a full leather lining.

1345500-p-DETAILED.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-boston-apron-tie-mink-full-grain-leather

I also recommend their wingtips - I have them in black and like them well - the brown looks nice. Honestly, though, the less expensive oxfords above are more comfortable, especially in warm weather.

1730000-p-DETAILED.jpg

http://vip.zappos.com/ecco-atlanta-wing-tip-tie-whisky

Mark Butcher

Familiar Face
Boushi is right, if you want a really nice set of wingtips that will last, you'll have to spend a bit more. I prefer Allen Edmonds, I have two pairs and they are gorgeous. Also, though I've never tried this, I hear you can go to any store and get them resoled any time you like.
I too like Allen Edmonds wingtips. I have the "MacNeil". Of course the are not cheap but with care and resoling they will last for years

Fifty150

One Too Many
I too like Allen Edmonds wingtips.

No question about it. Allen Edmonds makes a good shoe. Are there better shoes? Yes. But that does not make Allen Edmonds a bad shoe. There are those that sing the praises of how great the shoes are that cost two or three times as much. But for some of us, Allen Edmonds are what we can afford. Just like with leather jackets. Those who want to shell out the big bucks don't seem to get it that the rest of us can get something very good in our budget range, by sacrificing the prestige of owning a particular brand name. Just because we did not spend as much, does not mean that we are wearing inferior quality.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
No question about it. Allen Edmonds makes a good shoe. Are there better shoes? Yes. But that does not make Allen Edmonds a bad shoe. There are those that sing the praises of how great the shoes are that cost two or three times as much. But for some of us, Allen Edmonds are what we can afford. Just like with leather jackets. Those who want to shell out the big bucks don't seem to get it that the rest of us can get something very good in our budget range, by sacrificing the prestige of owning a particular brand name. Just because we did not spend as much, does not mean that we are wearing inferior quality.

Amen to that. Keep in mind, though, that there ARE bargains and treasures out there, of even the highest quality, for crazy low prices... if you know what to look for.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Amen to that. Keep in mind, though, that there ARE bargains and treasures out there, of even the highest quality, for crazy low prices... if you know what to look for.

I agree about finding bargains, all you have to do is check out eBay, Etsy, and the Goodwill site, and eventually you will find some great deals. The hardest part of it is to find your size but other than that, you can find great deals. I have found many new old stock shoes, in great condition from the 1950's more than once. To date, the most expensive new old stock shoes I have purchased only cost $39.00 plus shipping, and the best deal was $4.99 plus shipping. Hard to beat those prices for an all leather shoe, all leather sown soles, wingtips, two toned spectator, continentals, and apron style shoes.

I also personally find that if a shoe has any quality to it, it will not be a "light" weight shoe (just my opinion).

Fifty150

One Too Many
I like boots. Even in a suit, I want the support and protection of the ankles. And with boots, I worry less about which socks I'm wearing. These are my favorite wingtips.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I agree about finding bargains, all you have to do is check out eBay, Etsy, and the Goodwill site, and eventually you will find some great deals. The hardest part of it is to find your size but other than that, you can find great deals. I have found many new old stock shoes, in great condition from the 1950's more than once. To date, the most expensive new old stock shoes I have purchased only cost $39.00 plus shipping, and the best deal was $4.99 plus shipping. Hard to beat those prices for an all leather shoe, all leather sown soles, wingtips, two toned spectator, continentals, and apron style shoes.

I also personally find that if a shoe has any quality to it, it will not be a "light" weight shoe (just my opinion).

PLEASE be sure to post some pics in the Shoes thread, friend. Also, I agree 100% about the "light weight" comment. Good shoes should have some heft to them!

flyfishark

Practically Family
Do any of our shoe experts know the story on these shoes? This picture is the first and only time I've seen this line of Aldens. They look like a big step down from the regular Aldens . . . more like Rockports than like regular Aldens . . .

No expert here, but I sold one of these for $99 new, and was glad to get rid of it. It has a polyurethane removable insert, is built on a "Truedepth" last that has slightly less shape than the box it comes in (it makes the Barrie Last look sleek). The leather was, well, it was leather. Certainly not trying to knock anyones' shoes, but these appeared to be Aldens made somewhere other than the US--although I know they were not.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Synthetic materials are lighter than leather. The more leather used, the heavier the shoe. The thicker the leather is, the heavier the shoe.

That's only a small part of the formula that becomes the true weight of the shoes, although leather is generally heavier than synthetics.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
No expert here, but I sold one of these for $99 new, and was glad to get rid of it. It has a polyurethane removable insert, is built on a "Truedepth" last that has slightly less shape than the box it comes in (it makes the Barrie Last look sleek). The leather was, well, it was leather. Certainly not trying to knock anyones' shoes, but these appeared to be Aldens made somewhere other than the US--although I know they were not.

EVERYONE has a "discount line" now-a-days! Santoni has Nuvola, so I guess this is the Alden equivelent.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

All of the shoes in these pictures are all NOS/Vintage deals, they are all sown soles, all leather. All these shoes have a hefty weight to them. None of them cost as much as what you would think, and I wear a pair of vintage shoes, where ever I go. I actually own many pairs of shoes, and try to not wear any one pair more than a day within a month. At least 2 pairs of these shoes perhaps weighs several pounds more than a "newer" pair of wingtips.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo