Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winter Moody Blues?

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh, me too wired backwards....

I get into some awful states when it's light till eight and nine o'clock at night (if not later) I hate it with a deep and abiding passion. Something to do with being a redhead I guess and consequently being about as much a sun-worshipper as Dracula is ;)

Apart from anything else it makes me ill, at one point a couple of years ago I was wearing sunglasses from dawn till dusk, anything else gave me a headache.

No no, give me winter, and Christmas, and sparkling snow!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The lack of light during the winter months tends to affect me pretty severely, and it doesn't help that I already suffer from depression anyway. It wasn't so bad when I had a window office at work and had some light all day, but in a new office with new windows, it's BRUTAL.

Full spectrum bulbs help some. But mostly, I spend the winter months keeping my hands busy with crafts, watching old movies and mostly cuddling with my cats. They get extra cuddly during the winter so usually I cuddle up on the couch with them and it's a fine time. A lot of folks I know tend to stay in during the winter and don't go out as much. I try very hard to get out and go to shows and go do fun things so that I'm not sitting at home. Making an effort to be extra social can really help.

And so can hot toddies for that matter :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know I have the worst times of my life in the winter. I try very hard to be positive but I've had three break-ups of serious relationships in January, I was homeless once in January as well, I've had to move three times in Winter, and any time I've ever been more than just "down" as in, really really not good, was during the winter times. I suffer from depression as it is and I actually physically and emotionally dread the winter.

I don't have ANYTHING to make this better so hopefully there will be some great suggestions. :(

hargist

One of the Regulars
I grew up in Indiana, but have lived in Los Angeles since 1990. Fall and the beginning of winter was great when I lived in the Hoosier state, but I would get tired of it as the winter months went on and on.

When I moved to Los Angeles, I loved the summers. That wore off quickly. Now I tolerate the summer and my mood brightens when Fall arrives.

This will seem foreign to many who live in climates that have variable weather throughout the year, but the endless sun and clear blue sky in Los Angeles can become downright oppressive! I often yearn for rain and overcast skies. I know I would feel differently if I lived elsewhere, but with all our sun and lack of rain, it's really too much of a good thing.

I do love winters in Los Angeles because it's like one long Fall in other parts of the country.

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
In the best way possible its great to see im not alone in this. Its not fun and I've been sleeping like a bear lately which also throws your body out of wack.

Being down and getting up late every day also doesnt help motivate you to get up shave, comb the hair and just look presentable.

Maybe I just need to exercise :(

-V

Socrets

Familiar Face
VictorAtomic said:
Hello all!
Is it just me? and what do you guys and gal's do when the internal light is just a lil dim?

Do what I always do when I feel blue, dream (or spontaneously swing and blues dance with friends when I can).

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys a good cold day. Personally, I find it easier to concentrate on homework and studying for exams in cold temperatures as opposed to the daily heat and humidity that is Williamsburg.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Yep! Raising hand and shaking it wildly.
I get the winter Blahs too living in Northeast PA.

I can't stand it.
As soon as the sun starts going down at 5pm and you can't get that winter chill out of the body no matter how many blankets you throw on top of yourself. All plant life just dies and seems to turn grey.

I have a hard time motivating myself to get out and go dancing during the winter months. No car shows, no pic-nics, no going for a drive in the sunshine.....sigh.

I lack creativity in the winter months for sure, and I just don't feel like doing anything.

When I lived in California I don't remember having the winter blues. I remember wearing a dress in January!

Over all, I am a very happy person, but the lack of sun and warm weather do get me down.

(My birthday is the first day of summer)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider