Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here is a picture of my first hat made from a FEPSA 1200 dress weight 100% beaver. Count me a fan of this felt. It was wonderful to work with, plush with an almost velvet finish. I gave it minimal pouncing as it comes advertised as fully finished. It was hellish expensive compared to Winchester but it is a superior product. Its worth at
CIMG0386.JPG
CIMG0385.JPG
twice the price of a Winchester is open to discussion but damn I enjoyed working with it. I calculate it would cost somewhere between $15 to $20K for an opening order to FEPSA to get a decent colour selection and that would just be the 100% beaver. Double that if you wanted to add some blends.

This started life as a worn out model called “Farmer” by Vanzina. The wide brim and deep curl won me over. The leather sweatband was disintegrating and far beyond saving. I had it rebuilt by Wolfbrae with the request that the brim curl be retained. The biggest issue is the brim had wide binding and the binding had deteriorated, frayed, and was completely unusable. Robert cleaned it and repaired it to a very high standard. He also had the binding ribbon replaced; this would normally require ironing the brim flat to facilitate the sewing on the new binding. As I requested the original curl be retained, Robert had the binding sewn on the curled brim edge…I can’t imaging that was fun. It’s a great hat that I really like and it’s now ready for another 50 years of service. Thank you, Robert!

8F21A5B4-A255-4BBA-842C-7C5E13B7C57E.jpeg
4BC77F22-493E-4877-A916-8C706F0C8C70.jpeg
5301C527-D96B-4C88-AF94-BE40D7A1DFC2.jpeg
E0A1E687-FA45-48F2-BE82-FDE81322259B.jpeg
35CE5C9F-0357-4CC1-BCAD-52DC04F5E1D0.jpeg
1288D771-D7E2-466E-849F-5C26F2FF2F33.jpeg

Another complete rebuild. This Shudde Bros. Started life as a typical western hat. It was good small for me, but I saw potential. Robert at Wolfbrae Hatters took my vision and made it a reality.

5677791E-A3E3-4291-B17F-668DA650591A.jpeg
A05A2F4A-BD6C-4C28-835F-B614D1D9BC15.jpeg
E1271774-BA8E-4ADB-AD3C-A3A45530B742.jpeg
81783DC2-BFBB-4E67-AE37-D1C29DF80A20.jpeg
EF1A18D2-13B6-4470-84F8-70F3B1DA2E65.jpeg

Roberts work deserves better photos. I left my hat brush at home and the stray marks on the felt as remnants of the packaging materials.

This hat is destined to have a more western shape before too long.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great work!

This started life as a worn out model called “Farmer” by Vanzina. The wide brim and deep curl won me over. The leather sweatband was disintegrating and far beyond saving. I had it rebuilt by Wolfbrae with the request that the brim curl be retained. The biggest issue is the brim had wide binding and the binding had deteriorated, frayed, and was completely unusable. Robert cleaned it and repaired it to a very high standard. He also had the binding ribbon replaced; this would normally require ironing the brim flat to facilitate the sewing on the new binding. As I requested the original curl be retained, Robert had the binding sewn on the curled brim edge…I can’t imaging that was fun. It’s a great hat that I really like and it’s now ready for another 50 years of service. Thank you, Robert!

View attachment 400970 View attachment 400971 View attachment 400972 View attachment 400973 View attachment 400974 View attachment 400975

I have wanted to try my hand at making a "Gambler" model so made this for myself before I add the style to my offering. It is a great blue/grey coloured rabbit felt (Kopka, from Germany). A black bridle leather band, wrapped with royal blue round leather cord, a west African trading bead for adornment and topped with a black braided leather thong.

Attachments

• CIMG0420.JPG
    CIMG0420.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • CIMG0421.JPG
    CIMG0421.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 127
  • CIMG0422.JPG
    CIMG0422.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
I have wanted to try my hand at making a "Gambler" model so made this for myself before I add the style to my offering. It is a great blue/grey coloured rabbit felt (Kopka, from Germany). A black bridle leather band, wrapped with royal blue round leather cord, a west African trading bead for adornment and topped with a black braided leather thong.

Looks good. I really like the nice curl on the sides of the brim that flattens out front and back.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

You have my juices flowing, Robert. Very nice work and I'm in love with the brim curl.

V
Very nice. Well done Robert

Jokerwolf

New in Town
Here is a picture of my first hat made from a FEPSA 1200 dress weight 100% beaver. Count me a fan of this felt. It was wonderful to work with, plush with an almost velvet finish. I gave it minimal pouncing as it comes advertised as fully finished. It was hellish expensive compared to Winchester but it is a superior product. Its worth at View attachment 399951 View attachment 399952 twice the price of a Winchester is open to discussion but damn I enjoyed working with it. I calculate it would cost somewhere between $15 to $20K for an opening order to FEPSA to get a decent colour selection and that would just be the 100% beaver. Double that if you wanted to add some blends.
I LOVE my hat

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

8F21A5B4-A255-4BBA-842C-7C5E13B7C57E.jpeg

Another complete rebuild. This Shudde Bros. Started life as a typical western hat. It was good small for me, but I saw potential. Robert at Wolfbrae Hatters took my vision and made it a reality.

5677791E-A3E3-4291-B17F-668DA650591A.jpeg
Brent, excellent work of refurbishment and two very, very nice hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Daniele. Robert @belfastboy gets all the credit for the outstanding work. Have you come across the Vanzina Farmer hat before? I’d be interested in another if one crosses my path.
So let's praise Robert for the outstanding work. Diamo a Cesare quel che è di Cesare :)
No, I had never seen a Vanzina Farmer, but, as you well know, the Italian hat industry has done everything and more.
I have a very similar hat made by Panizza, but the size is 55 cm. and every now and then some "westerns" appear on the Italian market. I will keep you informed.
To your knowledge there is still a western hat manufacturer in Italy, Tacchino http://www.tacchino.it/

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Huge thanks to Robert for creating this one for me.

He was a joy to work with. Open for my suggestions and change of mind. Generous with his counter suggestions and knowledge.

Tonak heather felt. Thick but soft to the touch
5.5cm raw edge brim
10cm crown
2.5cm vintage slate grosgrain ribbon
Telescope bash

I originally wanted a Fedora that could be worn brim up or down, then changed my mind and asked for a Pork Pie. As soon as it came out of the box today, I could see that Robert had somehow kept my original wish as to the brim. It just cried out to be down.

I couldn't be happier with my first bespoke hat.

20220222_160538.jpg 20220222_160521.jpg 20220222_160632.jpg 20220222_160659.jpg 20220222_160530.jpg

Attachments

• 20220222_160518.jpg
    20220222_160518.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51

He was a joy to work with. Open for my suggestions and change of mind. Generous with his counter suggestions and knowledge.

5.5cm raw edge brim
10cm crown
Telescope bash

I originally wanted a Fedora that could be worn brim up or down, then changed my mind and asked for a Pork Pie. As soon as it came out of the box today, I could see that Robert had somehow kept my original wish as to the brim. It just cried out to be down.

View attachment 404394 View attachment 404395 View attachment 404397 View attachment 404398 View attachment 404399
Very cool Steve. Another great job by Robert. Goes so well with your jacket.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Sweet one, Steve.

5.5cm raw edge brim
10cm crown
Telescope bash

View attachment 404394 View attachment 404395 View attachment 404397 View attachment 404398 View attachment 404399

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner