Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here is a picture of my attempt at recreating the original Winchester Black Cherry dye. I am pleased. Quite good dye distribution and it is black with very strong burgundy undertones to it. The client likes the pics at least so we now move forward to making the hat. Burgundy crown ribbon with either a black brim binding or a ribbon dyed to match the felt.

Attachments

• CIMG0475.JPG
    CIMG0475.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • CIMG0483.JPG
    CIMG0483.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Here is a picture of my attempt at recreating the original Winchester Black Cherry dye. I am pleased. Quite good dye distribution and it is black with very strong burgundy undertones to it. The client likes the pics at least so we now move forward to making the hat. Burgundy crown ribbon with either a black brim binding or a ribbon dyed to match the felt.

Nice, Robert! Talk about going the extra mile for your customers.

Here is a picture of the finished fedora....made from the felt dyed to replicate the Winchester Black Cherry. Brim binding is dyed to match the felt, sewn with a subtle contrasting burgundy thread. Ribbon/bow is a vintage Burgundy grosgrain. This is a Tonak rabbit felt. It started out as a light grey.

Attachments

• CIMG0503.JPG
    CIMG0503.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 89
  • CIMG0502.JPG
    CIMG0502.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 91
Shipped out two hats today. My customer came to me with a Brixton wool hat that had seen better days. Wool, no liner, fabric sweat. It was his favourite hat and could not bring himself to toss it away. So I made him a real hat to replicate. Ukraine rabbit, vintage black grosgrain ribbon with a touch of silk......and a jaunty feather to top it off.
1 7/8" stingy brim, flanged assymetricaly so the rear has a much deeper cupping than the front/sides. I just happened to have a weird asymmetrical flange...not even sure where I got it.

Attachments

• CIMG0497.JPG
    CIMG0497.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
  • CIMG0498.JPG
    CIMG0498.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
Here is a picture of the finished fedora....made from the felt dyed to replicate the Winchester Black Cherry. Brim binding is dyed to match the felt, sewn with a subtle contrasting burgundy thread. Ribbon/bow is a vintage Burgundy grosgrain. This is a Tonak rabbit felt. It started out as a light grey.

The photos don’t really show the cherry in the black cherry. I’m looking forward to seeing my own in person.

ProfCharles

New in Town
The Wolf Strikes Again!

Working with Robert has been an exciting journey. It started with a desire for a black cherry hat, mutual disappointment in Winchesters offering, and Robert putting on his mage hat to come up with an incredible color.
The body feels nice and soft but not too flimsy. The blocking is untapered and balanced with the 2 5/8” brim. We used a thread matching the hat ribbon, and a dyed brim binding. I like having the off centered snap down and the brim does it well.
But best of all…
The color is REALLY nice! It’s Black Cherry! Better in person and you can tell it’s not Black, but it’s black enough with the right undertones. Bob knows his stuff and takes his craft very seriously, offering his personal (and creative) perspective which lends to a product even I didn’t imagine.
I think Robert will be getting some calls after this. After 7 months of searching and experimenting, this was that hat I was hoping for. Thank you Robert!!

Attachments

• 7059FB9A-502A-4651-BBD0-B0DAFC069902.jpeg
    7059FB9A-502A-4651-BBD0-B0DAFC069902.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 750A3511-D8CD-4A6D-B79B-B5BB3B063592.jpeg
    750A3511-D8CD-4A6D-B79B-B5BB3B063592.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • CDDC5EB8-F568-4106-8E79-0B0CF62948B1.jpeg
    CDDC5EB8-F568-4106-8E79-0B0CF62948B1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • AA64E205-4B13-4563-B8F0-BBB31D6E2E6E.jpeg
    AA64E205-4B13-4563-B8F0-BBB31D6E2E6E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
The Wolf Strikes Again!

Working with Robert has been an exciting journey. It started with a desire for a black cherry hat, mutual disappointment in Winchesters offering, and Robert putting on his mage hat to come up with an incredible color.
The body feels nice and soft but not too flimsy. The blocking is untapered and balanced with the 2 5/8” brim. We used a thread matching the hat ribbon, and a dyed brim binding. I like having the off centered snap down and the brim does it well.
But best of all…
The color is REALLY nice! It’s Black Cherry! Better in person and you can tell it’s not Black, but it’s black enough with the right undertones. Bob knows his stuff and takes his craft very seriously, offering his personal (and creative) perspective which lends to a product even I didn’t imagine.
I think Robert will be getting some calls after this. After 7 months of searching and experimenting, this was that hat I was hoping for. Thank you Robert!!
Nice hat, the ribbon color really helps pull out the black cherry undertones.

I have come to give Winchester a break on the old versus new black cherry color. I know most of us really prefer the old black cherry color. Winchester would love to be able to produce the old black cherry color but unfortunately, the manufacturer of that dye is either out of business or no longer producing it which is why the new black cherry color. I was going to go down the road of requesting Winchester to do a custom run to reproduce the old black cherry but Mike of Northwest Hats has already had that conversation with them.

Enjoy the hat!

I have come to give Winchester a break on the old versus new black cherry color. I know most of us really prefer the old black cherry color. Winchester would love to be able to produce the old black cherry color but unfortunately, the manufacturer of that dye is either out of business or no longer producing it which is why the new black cherry color. I was going to go down the road of requesting Winchester to do a custom run to reproduce the old black cherry but Mike of Northwest Hats has already had that conversation with them.

Enjoy the hat!
Probably would not help but I could give them my now "proprietary' dye recipe for the black cherry!!

Enjoy the hat!
PM just sent

The Wolf Strikes Again!

But best of all…
What a wonderful job by Robert. Enjoy it!!

Ready to box up and mail off to Ontario. 100% beaver felt from Ukraine. Great felts to work with......I truly hope my supplier eventually get his stock in but who knows. This is the Mink colour, 6" open with the tight Raiders pinches and a classic C crown. 2 7/8" brim bound in 6 ligne tone on tone just slightly darker than the felt to add interest. Crown ribbon is 2" in a Chestnut vintage.

Attachments

• CIMG0537.JPG
    CIMG0537.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • CIMG0540.JPG
    CIMG0540.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
The effects of inflation are becoming very hard to ignore. I checked Walmart on line for Naptha for hat cleaning....I paid $24 for a gallon about 2 months ago....the price today is $34. The worst news is everybody is out of stock.

I charged $25 for mailing a standard hat box to Canadian and US addresses.....sent out a box on Tuesday.....$35. The fuel surcharge is the biggest culprit. On a positive note, I think, our gasoline has dropped to $2 per litre down from a peak of $2.30 a week ago. I remember our last big RV trip to Texas and gasoline was $2.30 US per GALLON then........ah the good ol' days.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Hello Gregory here....All..I am a new member..no idea if I am posting in the right place or not...I know this the Wolfbrae Custom Hatters Thread.

I have many hats....been wearing a fedora pretty much since the age of 10 with my Dad..who also wore a fedora for years..

However...I have never purchased a bespoke hat before....but many other nice hats including Panamas etc...A hat I always considered to be something you tried on...and if it fit and you liked the quality then you buy it.

I saw an article in the Tri City BC papers on line that talked about Robert Gault who you on the Lounge know as....the proprietor of Wolfbrae.. Custom Hatters in Port Coquitlam BC...Then I saw a Global news video showing Robert and a customer I believe at his BC workship..... I was very impressed to know that his hats were done entirely by hand..no machinery..

Sooo I took the plunge...and .put down a deposit and then the collaborative effort began.

I ordered my first ever bespoke fedora hat..in beaver fit to my exact proportions..I had to measure my face...and provide pictures etc...We talked about the height of the crown..the color..the width of the brim and the width of the contrasting grosgrain chestnut hat band. It came with a satin liner and large leather sweatband to boot!

Then one day Robert said the hat was done...and he would be shipping it last Monday...I was nervous...however when the hat arrived on my birthday of all days..it made my day even more special..Why? Robert nailed it...he had the right height of the crown (we were going for a nineteen thirties look)....the right width of brim with tone on tone finishing...the right grosgrain contrasting chestnut brown..His bashes and crease on the front were deftly done.

In short the hat is perfect. (How many things in life are?..Very few)....fits me like a glove and I was totally blown away by the quality and craftmanship. ..I would highly recommend Robert to anyone as he provides the best advice all along the path...I was smart enough to listen to him...that payed off big time.....and his work was beyond my expectations! ..The kicker..Of course I will be getting another...It's hard to argue with perfection...

Attachments

• MY NEW HAT WOW.jpg
    MY NEW HAT WOW.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
Hello Gregory here....All..I am a new member..no idea if I am posting in the right place or not...I know this the Wolfbrae Custom Hatters Thread.

I have many hats....been wearing a fedora pretty much since the age of 10 with my Dad..who also wore a fedora for years..

However...I have never purchased a bespoke hat before....but many other nice hats including Panamas etc...A hat I always considered to be something you tried on...and if it fit and you liked the quality then you buy it.

I saw an article in the Tri City BC papers on line that talked about Robert Gault who you on the Lounge know as....the proprietor of Wolfbrae.. Custom Hatters in Port Coquitlam BC...Then I saw a Global news video showing Robert and a customer I believe at his BC workship..... I was very impressed to know that his hats were done entirely by hand..no machinery..

Sooo I took the plunge...and .put down a deposit and then the collaborative effort began.

I ordered my first ever bespoke fedora hat..in beaver fit to my exact proportions..I had to measure my face...and provide pictures etc...We talked about the height of the crown..the color..the width of the brim and the width of the contrasting grosgrain chestnut hat band. It came with a satin liner and large leather sweatband to boot!

Then one day Robert said the hat was done...and he would be shipping it last Monday...I was nervous...however when the hat arrived on my birthday of all days..it made my day even more special..Why? Robert nailed it...he had the right height of the crown (we were going for a nineteen thirties look)....the right width of brim with tone on tone finishing...the right grosgrain contrasting chestnut brown..His bashes and crease on the front were deftly done.

In short the hat is perfect. (How many things in life are?..Very few)....fits me like a glove and I was totally blown away by the quality and craftmanship. ..I would highly recommend Robert to anyone as he provides the best advice all along the path...I was smart enough to listen to him...that payed off big time.....and his work was beyond my expectations! ..The kicker..Of course I will be getting another...It's hard to argue with perfection...

Robert is a treasure. Your hat looks great on you to. What color is the felt? Can you provide the crown and brim measurements?

I hope you stick around and share your appreciation of hats with the likeminded folks here.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town
Hi Brent......I think we settled on the following..however Robert may .. chime in and make some corrections?...it is close to below..(see below my main text)

The bottom line..I wanted the C crown tall 1930's look that did not swoop down in the back..kept its height...and wanted that centre front crease...
I did not want a floppy thirties fedora hat ala Indiana Jones...but a hat that looks right and stays right.

Robert is a communicator....and that's why I was able to get my bespoke that went beyond my expections...as I said earlier..he just nailed every single detail...that was so special....and to arrive on my birthday to boot...was just a bonus...

.Of course one is nervous ..you first take a look at the hat...after the unboxing..you feel the weight of itt.....get an idea of the quality...(Wow!) You know its Portuguese beaver..(best to get the very best quality in everything you can is my philosophy) .. ..a light tan brown is the color..I think you can see that in my photo..

Robert is a treasure you say....I know that from this first great personal experience working with Robert....He in a very short while has become one of the masters of his craft. That's my opinion cause my experience absolutely got me the exact hat that I wanted.

C crown/ teardrop
crown height..5 inches
brim just slightly over 2.5 inches
Size..I typically wear 59 cm

Hi Brent......I think we settled on the following..however Robert may .. chime in and make some corrections?...it is close to below..(see below my main text)

The bottom line..I wanted the C crown tall 1930's look that did not swoop down in the back..kept its height...and wanted that centre front crease...
I did not want a floppy thirties fedora hat ala Indiana Jones...but a hat that looks right and stays right.

Robert is a communicator....and that's why I was able to get my bespoke that went beyond my expections...as I said earlier..he just nailed every single detail...that was so special....and to arrive on my birthday to boot...was just a bonus...

.Of course one is nervous ..you first take a look at the hat...after the unboxing..you feel the weight of itt.....get an idea of the quality...(Wow!) You know its Portuguese beaver..(best to get the very best quality in everything you can is my philosophy) .. ..a light tan brown is the color..I think you can see that in my photo..

Robert is a treasure you say....I know that from this first great personal experience working with Robert....He in a very short while has become one of the masters of his craft. That's my opinion cause my experience absolutely got me the exact hat that I wanted.

C crown/ teardrop
crown height..5 inches
brim just slightly over 2.5 inches
Size..I typically wear 59 cm

Thank you for such a thorough review. Great communication with the hatter is so important when ordering custom hats.

I have…a few Wolfbrae hats but my first FEPSA (Portugal) 100% beaver from Robert is nearing completion. I’m glad you’re as pleased with your Wolfbrae as I’ve been with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko