Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wonderwoman becomes just another sulky goth teen

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
This is just stooooopid. Why the devil did they have to mess around and do a modernization? It's like adding hand warmer pockets and metal collar tips to an A2 jacket and finishing it in green.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
The horror...the horror...I think I saw this chick in my step class last week (she wasn't too coordinated). Maybe it wasn't. [huh]

Well, if you look at the comments, the general public seems to be pretty much underwhelmed at the transformation...I hope they backpedal on this one.

Argee

One of the Regulars
They always go back to the classic costumes. They just want to get some buzz so they can sell more comic books. Apparently this redesign is in conjunction with a severe change in her backstory, Amazon refugees in New York or something like that. Someone will fix the meddling with the time-line and everything will be back to normal.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a trend Ive been seeing (especially in Marvel) and Im surprised DC is picking it up.

They reinvent a character and give them a new history ever 5-10 years so new readers with shorter attention spans dont have to follow a character through 30+ years of established history.

Shes not a woman in that rendering, shes a girl. There is no goddess stature about her. Man, does she look less powerful.

LD

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I think it's hilarious that most of the people who are up in arms about this don't read the current comic book. Tenuki had me pick up Wonder Woman for her a few years ago and for the most part it has been the best title I bring home every month. As a regular reader I can tell you that they have been changing Wonder Woman's history, character, and costume non-stop for years. This costume thing is nothing. Did you know:
  • Etta Candy and Steve Trevor are married?
  • Due to a freak time accident Queen Hippolita was the Wonder Woman of the 1940's?
  • The Greek Gods are space aliens?
  • Donna Troy (Wonder Girl) is actually a clone of Wonder Woman from an alternate dimension?
  • Wonder Woman wears black biker shorts and a halter top?
  • Wonder Woman wears an all white jump suit?
I don't want to talk about the tribe of hyper-intelligent albino gorillas that adopted Wonder Woman as their queen, so I am going to stop here. I could go on but the point to all of this is COMIC BOOKS ARE ALWAYS MOVING. The writers are constantly introducing changes and then hitting the big reset-switch to "return the character to her iconic origins". Don't panic, the star spangled thong will return in time.

I will say that the new writer (J. Michael Straczynski who created Babylon 5 and wrote Clint Eastwood's Changeling) is very good. If you are interested in Wonder Woman now is a good time to start reading. If you're still upset about the "pants and jacket" look, you can always start with the classics.. We will probably have a completely different Wonder Woman look and story by the time you catch up. :D

Geesie

Practically Family
Mahagonny Bill said:
I think it's hilarious that most of the people who are up in arms about this don't read the current comic book. Tenuki had me pick up Wonder Woman for her a few years ago and for the most part it has been the best title I bring home every month. As a regular reader I can tell you that they have been changing Wonder Woman's history, character, and costume non-stop for years. This costume thing is nothing. Did you know:
  • Etta Candy and Steve Trevor are married?
  • Due to a freak time accident Queen Hippolita was the Wonder Woman of the 1940's?
  • The Greek Gods are space aliens?
  • Donna Troy (Wonder Girl) is actually a clone of Wonder Woman from an alternate dimension?
  • Wonder Woman wears black biker shorts and a halter top?
  • Wonder Woman wears an all white jump suit?
I don't want to talk about the tribe of hyper-intelligent albino gorillas that adopted Wonder Woman as their queen, so I am going to stop here. I could go on but the point to all of this is COMIC BOOKS ARE ALWAYS MOVING. The writers are constantly introducing changes and then hitting the big reset-switch to "return the character to her iconic origins". Don't panic, the star spangled thong will return in time.

I will say that the new writer (J. Michael Straczynski who created Babylon 5 and wrote Clint Eastwood's Changeling) is very good. If you are interested in Wonder Woman now is a good time to start reading. If you're still upset about the "pants and jacket" look, you can always start with the classics.. We will probably have a completely different Wonder Woman look and story by the time you catch up. :D

Yeah, the big example is the "death of Superman" flap. Anyone who followed comics knew that nobody, but nobody dies in comics permanently (even Barry Allen now). Plus, there are all the different versions of characters (Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter Parker: Spider-Man etc). Heck, DC created so many universes that they had to have a major miniseries to re-consolidate them - and it barely lasted before they multiverse started proliferating again.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There’s a new origin story (by J. Michael Straczynski - were all the women in comics busy that day?) that casts her as an amnesiac refugee...​

Amnesia? Really? :rolleyes:

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Geesie said:
Yeah, the big example is the "death of Superman" flap. Anyone who followed comics knew that nobody, but nobody dies in comics permanently (even Barry Allen now).
I was reading Superman back then as well :rolleyes: I don't want to sound like a hopeless fanboi, but the stories in the year that Superman "died" were really interesting. You had the secondary characters (Lois, Jimmy, Bibbo,etc) trying to keep their lives together, searching for a sign that Clark/Superman would return, because they knew he would. Meanwhile new characters were introduced, some inspired by Superman and some claiming to BE Superman, all involved in a huge soap opera based around Metropolis. It was a great read, if you like that kind of thing.
To folks on the outside it seemed like a big cheat, but for the people who actually bought the books it was a good time to be reading Superman.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Paisley said:
There’s a new origin story (by J. Michael Straczynski - were all the women in comics busy that day?) that casts her as an amnesiac refugee...​

Amnesia? Really? :rolleyes:
I know it sounds horrible :( . I haven't read the new issue, so I can't comment on that. However, as far as all the women in comics being busy..Gail Simone just left the title. I don't know if it was her decision to leave or management pushed her out for JMS, but her run on the book was a bit lackluster. I had expected more from her. However, she had been left a steaming pile of drek by the author before her as well as a big company crossover (Amazons Attack, don't read it, it's terrible) so she didn't have a lot to work with. I think the mess of continuity over the last three years was as much of a reason for the JMS reboot as much as anything.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
The look seems a bit more of a departure from other tweaks, though. And so dated. She looks like gambit's little sister, not an Amazon.
This look might make good WW sidekick, but the main course?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I finally had the chance to read WW 600 & 601 and wanted to follow up on this thread.

For the most part, the new story looks intriguing. It is true that Winder Woman is a refugee, but she is not necessarily an amnesiac.

The main thrust of the story is that when Diana was an infant, the Gods removed their protection from Themiscyra and allowed it to be attacked by enemies. Diana was taken from the Island as the Amazons fled the island to seek refuge in different places around the world. Now that Diana is an adult, it is her duty to unite the Amazons and seek revenge against their enemies. So far, your standard "Hero's Journey" type of story.

What makes it slightly different is that the Amazons know that history has been changed. They can't say exactly what is different, but they can tell that the world around them is not as it should be. Diana dreams of herself in the old world with her old costume and wants to return things to the way they were, although no one remembers exactly how that is.

All in all it is a very strong start to a story arc. Diana has a heroic journey laid out in front of her and the story has managed to "reboot" the character without completely throwing out the past, leaving the door open to return to the "classic" Wonder Woman (or a hybrid) in the future. The dialog is JMS at his best and the art is very good (you opinion about the costume withstanding). I think that Wonder Woman is in safe hands going forward.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I will say that I do not like the redesign of Wonder Woman. Every time DC has redesigned one of their characters (the big 3) well it has flopped. There is no need to change these characters from the core of their costume, because the costume is so iconic.

But that's all I will say on the matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo