Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wooden hat blocks

I'm not trying to break any policies, but I got a reply to one of my searches from a certain web site regarding a whole mess of wooden hat blocks and flanges from a warehouse in Lexinton, KY. They're going off in lots of 5-6, so getting a single isn't going to be easy sooooo I figured that maybe someone smarter than me might be able to figure something out where some of us might be able to obtain one of them there blocks or flanges.

Hope I'm not in trouble.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I got a block and a brim flange from this seller two weeks ago. They were in very good condition, except for being dirty. I've re-blocked two hats and they have worked quite well for me.

If you bought a lot, I'll bet you'd have no trouble selling the extras in classified.

We're not mentioning a specific auction; so I think we're within the bounds of FL rules.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Put me in too...

for a 7 1/4 block... either open crown or teardrop!
I would be up for a 2 3/4" brim flange as well....

Great idea !
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I wear a 7 1/4, so I'm assuming that's what size block I would need for shaping WITH a sweatband in. Is that right?

I'd want a 2 3/4" flange and a block that would allow me to do a dress alpine (cattleman's) block.

As much as I'd like to bid on a lot, I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and will only have intermittant access to the internet. If we got enough guys together to bid on all the lots up for bid, or if one of our vendor members needed a few and would sell the rest, we could pony up a little cash each and share the spoils. That's just me thinking out loud.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
based on what I've read here...

GentlemanFarmer said:
I wear a 7 1/4, so I'm assuming that's what size block I would need for shaping WITH a sweatband in. Is that right?

... you would need a 7 1/8 block if you're leaving the sweat in...

have a super vacation, wear yr. straws, stay out of the heat & enjoy!!!

milandro

A-List Customer
I apologize for resurrecting this thread but that’s where the search engine brings me if I look up " hat wooden blocks".

I have bought some wooden hat blocking paraphernalia , it is probably small for men’s hats but I will see what I can do with this some things are certainly usable . They look rather in good shape but smell a bit musty. I have been cleaning them and I will try to treat them with UV and ozone ( not the season to put them out in the sun I am afraid) . After cleaning the smell has sensibly reduced and now they smell of pledge wood cream and essential oils of lavender and lemon.

Do you think that I could cover them with a clear coat of lacquer? Just to protect the hats if I ever will decide to use anything of this set? I have seen people making block out of polystyrene which was subsequently lacquered.

Can anyone identify what I have ( sizes are smallish but the Oval dome fits inside my size 60-61 hats)
$_86 1.jpg
$_86.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart