Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wore hat to job interview...

matei

One Too Many
Greetings all!

Enamoured as I am with my new hat, I decided to wear it to a job interview yesterday in London.

As I expected, there were several other people with similar headgear (I counted 5). No funny looks or silly comments. As a matter of fact, people were extremely polite and responsive.

One gentleman sporting a similar fedora gave me a nod as I passed.

Regarding the interview - the hat must've made a good impression, as I was offered the job! :)

While walking around soho I was unexpectedly caught in the rain, and my hat didn't turn to mush. That is encouraging - it was something I had been dreading.

If I had time I would've tried to make it over to Jermyn Street, where they've got some nice men's shops - Taylor's of Old Bond Street etc - but that will have to wait until next time.

matei

One Too Many
Thanks! :)

I'm waiting for the contract though - no celebrating until I see it in writing!

Canadave

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
So are hat wearers pretty common over there?

I was wondering the same thing...you saw 5 other fedora-wearers? Wow!

What line of work are you in? Good luck with the offer...hope it all works out.

David

matei

One Too Many
Thanks guys / gals...

I wore my only fedora at the moment - a grey Herbert Johnson - with a suit that I had made from some old wool material that my father-in-law gave me (I'll post the story in the suits section). The only other hats I have are a couple of berets.

I'm in IT, so we're a pretty eccentric lot. A good friend of mine here in Dublin used to wear a bright red fedora (courtesy of Redhat Linux) to work until his wife had enough. As there is a movement towards casual dress in my field, I am proud to buck the trend.

I don't think hats are any more popular in London than in the US, at least in the 20 - 50 (big stretch) group. I used to live in Noo Yawk, and I would see people there from time to time with hats. Howeve, in Dublin, people my age sporting nifty lids are few and far in between.

I do see a difference is with the older crowd though - there are lots of seniors here in Europe that wear headgear of all shapes and sizes.

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
Eccentric... I like that... I work in I.S. also... 'eccentric' sounds alot better than 'odd', 'weird' 'wacko' 'Novell nerd' et al.

Besides, I used to work in mainframe computer room.. ambient temperature was around 65' a hat probably would have kept my noggin alot warmer and brought a bit of class to the room :fedora:

Strider

One of the Regulars
I wore a fedora into the last job interview I went out for, and lo and behold, here I am working there, and they let me wear my adventurebilt around all day. :) That helps beat the hot sun sometimes.

Kudos on being confident enough to wear a fedora into a job interview. My hat is off to ya.

Regards,
Strider

gcollins

One of the Regulars
ITG said:
What hat did you wear? I have a job interview for another school district Friday but I shant be wearing a hat.

Sister, if you're wearing that hat you wear in the avatar, you will win over just about any employer!

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Strider said:
I wore a fedora into the last job interview I went out for, and lo and behold, here I am working there, and they let me wear my adventurebilt around all day. :) That helps beat the hot sun sometimes.

Hey Strider, sounds like you work at Microsoft. If you are a programmer there, there are NO bounds when it comes to gear. You could be barefoot, half naked, dressed to the nines in your Wingnut vintage suit, or sporting any kind of lid. Things may have changed since the bubble burst though. But it's good to know, whereever you are, you can still wear a nice brim and make it happen.

Rock on!
G

Michael D

Familiar Face
I work for Sun

I work for Sun Microsystems in Colorado.

I wear a hat everyday to work and bring my guitar on Fridays to play in the campus courtyard at lunch. No one says anything.

But then during the summer I'm the most dressed up guy on my floor wearing a collared shirt and dockers. Most everyone else is dressed like they are counselors at summer camp, shorts, t-shirts, sandals. ;)

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy