Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I agree that the fading does ad authenticity. I have seen photos of originals that were in good shape and bad shape. But, I think it's a superb A-2 nevertheless.

Say Paddy, those are some good photos. I like the one of you by the P-51D. The Over Seas cap is a good one as well. As for me, I wear my O.S. cocked to one side. That's how my Grandfather wore his and that's how I ware mine.;)

Root.

PS. You're right about paint! They would use what ever they could find!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, here's the other one with a little yello added to make it really aged!

Cheers.

PS. Josh, you may consider looking for a "May West". The yellow life vests they wore. They can cost some cash, but keep your eyes open and you may find a deal.:D

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Odd that mention that Wildroot, a Mae West is the next item on my list, I will most likely order from Garcia, they have some pretty good deals. I really like the look of a Mae West with all the gear, what I really want to find is a parachute and harness to complete the look, know of a place to get one?

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Ok, guys, I'm coming to the conversation late, but I wanted to say I'm definitley a crusher guy. As you can see in my avatar, I'm wearing a crusher I got from What Price Glory, and I must say that it just doesn't crush as well as I would have liked - so I think I'm going to order one from Garcia like everyone's recommended and hope that'll it'll give me the look I want.

Now, since everyone's putting up their reenactment-type photos, I thought I'd share with you a photo of my real-life use of a cap. When I was a cadet in Air Force ROTC, I was on my Detachment's drill team, and we wore what I consider a pretty stylish uniform, including an uncrushed wheel cover. Since we were an with-arms drill team, spinning and flinging 10 pound M-1 rifles to and around each other, we had to make sure our covers stayed on and didn't move - which meant that we were wearing a size that was normally too small for our heads. Wow were they tight! But it was worth it; those wheel covers gave us some protection from the rifles.

Anyway, other than the drill team functions, the only time I wore my wheel cap was for commissioning and for a single flag retreat ceremony; otherwize, it stayed in the box. Too bad, 'cause I hated those damn flight caps we wore! Looked just like a guy at McDonalds! Here's the photo of me from ROTC:
ROTC Photo

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Since this has gone from crushers to a portrait gallery...

33.jpg

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Capt. K, I thought it looked familiar, I have the same one lol. OK Wingnut, where did you find the parachute and harness, you must tell me, that's an order, lol!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Bogie,

My friend Justin on the right there (Captain Suan to you guys) snagged my chute off of eBay for a scream. I paid him half with the AN-6530s he's wearing.

An order, eh? I'll let you slide on that one, Cappy. - Maj. Hunt :D

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Well, Wildroot, I found it in a cramped antique store here in town, place is just packed to the ceiling with stuff, I think the old fella who runs it just didn't know it's worth, good for me huh! I will be on the look out for the harness and chute Wingnut.

P.S. Sorry Sir I was unaware of you rank, My apologies Major, I will go grab some KP for the next week.....:confused: :confused:

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Thank you sir!

Oh btw fellas, tomorrow I am going to a military vehicle show/reenactment/swop meet. There will be a battle, plenty of vendors, and free food from the American Legion. I will be taking plenty of pics to share with you all, maybe sneak a few while I am participating in the battle. I plan on showing off my AAF gear afte the battle, always need to shed the field uniform after a battle, AAF is more comfy for the day of shopping and meeting and greeting.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank God some of you guys are as nutty as me...!!

I feel much more sane chaps having seen some of your recent mock-up photos wearing all the AAF gear! I thought I was losing my marbles getting all this kit to wear at air shows..etc.

I particularily like the shots of one of the guys wearing a RAF Type 'C' helmet, which looks so cool and was often used by AAF aircrew (especially fighter pilots), as were the RAF sheepskin boots, in preference to US issued gear.

Some great shots chaps, and I have thoroughly enjoyed leafing through them. I really must get myself PhotoShop to play with!!

Thank you so much for proving that I have not gone (too) mad with my thing for the USAAF of WW2. I just wish you guys weren't across the pond and so far away. But then..my bonus is that I am close to the old airfields!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Paddy, you are lucky to be right there where the history took place! When I get the money together, I want to come over there and look at all the old air fields.

Paddy, when you feel like going on a trip to the states, you know where to go! Do you know of the Planes of Fame museum in Chino California? This place has an outstanding collection of some very rare war birds. This place has the only flying P-51A in the world! And, they have the only flyable veteran Japanese Zero. Also, they have a P-47G which is on the rare side.

Here's a link to their Virtual tour you can take and see some of the great stuff they have there. They also have photos of a newly restored P-39 Aircobra they are shipping off to England!

http://www.planesoffame.org/Virtual Tour Pages/index.html

Have a good day gentlemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy