Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Jacket Accessories - Bells, Whistles & Tags

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Whistles

Here are two whistles that came with my original A2! I have only seen one photo of an A2 with a Bobby whistle on it.
Jacket7.jpg

Pip

A-List Customer
Have a small Saint Michael charm on my A2 collar hook...well I did until my A2 was stolen in Normandy a few days ago...:eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Combat Whistle

Fletch said:
The bobby whistle just sort of says "Oi there guv!", but the Army whistle says "Teeeen-HUT!" It's a sound you don't argue with.
Unfortunately, I have no idea which whistle he actually war on combat missions since neither was attached to the jacket when I was given it. He passed away many years earlier.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Lady of Loretta

I just have an acme whistle on the outside, but I carry a "Lady of Loretta" medallion (dated 1958). She is the Patroness Saint of aviators and air travelers. Also a cool "heads I win tails you lose" coin, these have been in my A-2 or past A-2s for 16 years or so. Both are from my deceased grandparents. Hmm wonder who the coin belonged to???
IMG_1554.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1556.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1557.jpg
[/IMG]

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Repro Capri Bell

Here are three Capri Bells. One is a fake, or so the eBay seller told me. I purchased it to see close-up the details of the reproduction bell. The seller bought the bell second hand.

Capri-Bell-Goat.jpg

Capri-Bell-Charm.jpg

The one on the left is the fake. A good one in my opinion.

The one in the middle is genuine WW2 from my late Dad and the one on the far right is from another named bomber pilot purchased from his family.

The repro has "verdigris" seemingly washed into the lettering and band with a glossy (perhaps lacquer) coat over top. In addition, the goat is positioned a little lower.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've tried to wear a bell on my A-2. This lasted for only a couple of hours - that bell does ring!

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy