Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another fashion "aviators jacket"

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
This time from Ralph Lauren.
Here is the ad:
foto-14.jpg

And here are som pics from their website:
pPOLO2-13303033_standard_v360x480.jpg

pPOLO2-13303033_alternate2_v360x480.jpg

pPOLO2-13303033_alternate1_v360x480.jpg

And at the neat price of USD 2.498,- !!!!!!!
(You can get originals for half the price - and with lots of history and logged flyingtime too)

At least I find it better looking than the "monster" from Burberry. Butt still...

What do you think?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ralph lauren do make quite a nice A2 copy as well. These jackets are not really made for the enthusiast, rather those with lots of money that just want the look, the name etc. Not everyone likes second hand clothes, call them vintage if you wish but it's a fact, and not everyone is interested in a piece of clothings history. Speak to most people into fashion and they have probably never heard of Goodwear, Aero or Eastman, but Ralph Lauren is a houshold name.
The person that buys that jacket wont be interested in contracts, collar stands or WWII era zips just as long as it looks good driving their Ferrari or Porsche, and it's usually only those in the TV, music and film industries that would want an original old jacket.
But! That means all the more original jackets for us;)
J

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Very nice indeed...the jacket looks alright too, but not at that crazy price.
For that money you could buy several Aero, Eastman or Aviation Leathercraft jackets and still have change to hit the pub!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ludicrously overpriced as we'd expect Søren.

It's not a bad looking jacket per se but once again the money you are paying for is the name on the label.

I know what I'd rather spend the 2 and a half grand on, and it's not bloody that!

Have you ugly mugs ever thought that the price includes one of those women? Maybe RRL is including "Russian Brides" with the package? lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's not a bad looking jacket per se but once again the money you are paying for is the name on the label.
Q F friggn' T, gentlemen.

In this era when almost any style can come bobbing randomly up to the surface, the au courant have learned to attach no significance to style. What they respond to is brand. That's where the image is. It says "I have money to burn, or at least chutzpa enough to look like I have money to burn."

It may not always even be brand - it could just be the fact of marketing. What is widely merched is somehow OK. Even my mom, who can't look at my Eastmans and G&Bs without being physically revulsed, will send me catalog links to sorta-kinda G-1s and A-2s, offered off-the-rack at made-to-measure prices by outfits like J. Powell.

Who cares? If you don't think these jackets are worth the money, don't buy. I don't care if someone with means spends too much to feel good at a party with likewise well-off folks. I have friends with money that wear rags. I have some that show off. I can't control either group!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just one reason to care. Well, two: time and money.

The more style loses market share to flash, the harder and often more expensive it becomes to buy things with style but not flash.

That's especially true in leather goods, because piecing is cheaper than sourcing bigger, better skins. You can get a jacket with lots of yokes, insets and geegaws more cheaply than a 1pc back A-2 because it can be pieced.

Edward

Bartender
Regarding the price, well... clearly not aimed at the likes of us. They are obviously charging what the market will bear. Also, remember that if they cut the price notably, they would risk diluting the perceived value of the brand in their own market segment. Gucci did that and took a hammering for it, as I recall.

In terms of the jacket itself.... I like how it looks. The real design skill in it, IMO, is that it has taken the B3 as was and recut it for the female shape. Were I a lady, that would definitely appeal. I suppose it is chicken and egg: most of the customer based for repros are men who want the originals, so they don't tend to do cuts for women, and this probably doesn't attract more female custom....

Otter

One Too Many
Looks OK to me, so it isn't a stich for stich clone, but it looks nice and seems from the photos to be made from nice materials. I have seen much worse military inspired fasion jackets, that awful Coastal Command mashup for a start. Only thing stopping me would be the price.

I think it's good for us. If the big names are replicating the jackets we covet, that means those clueless fashion wh*res will look at ours and think we look good, not like out of touch old farts lol
Bottom line - we can't control them and their clientele, so no worries here...

That's it;"p-e-r-c-e-i-v-e-d value of the brand". Otherwise, anybody can skin a poor sheep and put the pieces together like this :D Me no like!
eusa_snooty.gif
I don't agree, Joe. I think Edward is right - the jackets are pretty nice looking. If you can do that, quit your job today and go for it! It might not fit into our model of great jackets, but I think they look nice and are probably well-made. All things considered...

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I don't agree, Joe. I think Edward is right - the jackets are pretty nice looking. If you can do that, quit your job today and go for it! It might not fit into our model of great jackets, but I think they look nice and are probably well-made. All things considered...

It looks pretty horrible to me [huh] Maybe it's that I'm tired of seeing this kind of jackets at mall markets. I always wonder why in earth they have to add those fashion details. I'd rather prefer my girlfriend in a real 400 bucks B-3 than in a $3,000 thing like that.

Just imagine your wife coming home and saying, "honey, look what pretty b3 jacket I purchased for only $3,000" :eusa_doh: :D

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Quite agree there...very overpriced...but less of the Sören if you do not mind Smithy. This is Finland and and not Denmark. I somehow doubt that the Danes would like to be called Pekka or Heikki!

What! Who said that, come closer I cant make you out in this light!:D
I know. But really, I'm trying to be a little more open-minded on it. Would I buy one? No. Would I be mad if the wife did? Dunno. A regular B-3 would look less flattering on a woman, generally speaking. Given what I spend on things, I think I'd leave her be, then order 3 GW's lol

Aerojoe

Practically Family
IWould I be mad if the wife did? Dunno.

Oh come on, 'fess up :D You would be climbing the walls! (me too)

A regular B-3 would look less flattering on a woman, generally speaking.

There are pictures of WASPS in B-3s and they look great. Margaret Burke-White too. And if they not, a D-1 or a B-6 will do it for much less than half the price.

Given what I spend on things, I think I'd leave her be, then order 3 GW's lol

Well, this a good way out :D Better 3 new GWs than a situation at home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21