Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
And you know you're getting old if you can remember sitting at those desks in school. :p
I know I can!

I remember in the 5th grade having those desks in class.
The later desks where the books were stored underneath the seat area were not as good.

Eliminating the rear rivets was mostly for reducing the cost to make the jeans .
I visited the plant before they left the country .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It depends on the school district and class level. Around here grammar school kids usually do, but not high schoolers.

Interestingly, the ritualization of the Pledge didn't become common in schools until the mid-1930s, and the practice was criticized at the time by some in the press as being imitative of the compulsory salutes of Fascism. Most adults of the Era didn't grow up with classroom flag salutes.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If you know how this was applied in school...you've been around. ;)

2cz3rkk.png

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
And scratching them up with the rivets on your Levis. I vaguely remember hearing that is why Levis quit putting them on, although in all reality it probably was just to make them for cheaper.

I do know why they got rid of the crotch rivet! [video=youtube;-gQV3Ezf2Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQV3Ezf2Cs[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

2cz3rkk.png

I remember those. Funny thing, I only got called into the principles office once in Grade School, for fighting of course! He opened his bottom desk drawer and showed us one of those, then he said, "I'm not going to have any more trouble with you boys, am I?" We started crying and said, no sir, no sir! I wonder if he actually ever had to use it?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I do know why they got rid of the crotch rivet!

Legend goes that it was Levi executives wearing them near a campfire which led to the change.
But according to Levi history , changes were made in order to conform to rules set by
the War Production Board for the conservation of raw materials during WW2.

vintage68

Practically Family
It depends on the school district and class level. Around here grammar school kids usually do, but not high schoolers.

Interestingly, the ritualization of the Pledge didn't become common in schools until the mid-1930s, and the practice was criticized at the time by some in the press as being imitative of the compulsory salutes of Fascism. Most adults of the Era didn't grow up with classroom flag salutes.

Talk about retro!

I played "hooky' from 5th period in high school.
Next day I was sent to the principle's office.
The vice-principle took me & other fellas to the boiler room.
There was a table with a small mirror.
We had to lean down in front of the mirror & look at it while he took a wooden
paddle (which we called "holystick") because the wooden paddle had holes drilled
all over.
The first whack wasn't too bad.
But after six more...I had tears from the stinging..but I didn't give the s.o.b. satisfaction
that it hurt.
I had purple welts across my butt for weeks & could hardly sit down.
I never played "hooky" again...:D

Ah, the good old days. They need to do that now without getting arrested for it. Some of these ratkids today could benefit.
The other side of that is when you got home, your parents probably punished you again. :p Lots of negative reinforcement. :p

vintage68

Practically Family
Ah, the good old days. They need to do that now without getting arrested for it. Some of these ratkids today could benefit.
The other side of that is when you got home, your parents probably punished you again. :p Lots of negative reinforcement. :p

Some adults I've observed around town could use a little "negative reinforcement." A middle-aged woman at the grocery store this morning was wearing bright pink pajamas and slippers. She obviously missed a few life lessons along the way....

up196

A-List Customer

2cz3rkk.png

One of the Brother's where I went for 8th grade had one of those, and he had the recipient of such discipline sign it after it was used. It gave an entirely new meaning to the phrase "getting your name on the board!"

Harp

I'll Lock Up
One of the Brother's where I went for 8th grade had one of those...

The Christian Brothers of Ireland? ;) First day in French class taught by a Sister of Mercy nun and two boys (all male school)
started goofing off. Sister went out of class and returned with Brother M, who reached inside his cassock sleeve and retrieved
a razor strop, and had the delinquents stand at the blackboard for a "lesson." :eeek:
Hair was cut, face shaved ear to collar bone, and tie at full mast.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I've been suspecting that I've been getting old for sometime...

... but it was confirmed this past Saturday. We had commencement at the university where I teach... and I am talking to this young lady that had been one of my students. She introduced me to her Mother... and Mom says...

"You were my professor..."

I promptly went home and considered just bleeding out...

~shoes~

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or when the music you listened to as a kid -- which was already old at the time -- has completely vanished from public consciousness. When somebody asks you for your favorite band and you say "Richard Himber," and they look at you as if you're speaking Sanskrit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy