Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You shouldn't have

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
How do you handle receiving gifts that aren't your taste? Sure, you can put it on ebay or donate it (or *gasp* regift), but what do you actually say to the giver? I usually thank them for the thoughtful gift. However, I just got a small piece of costume jewelry that is not at all my style. The card said "you have to be honest and tell me if you don't like it."

Any helpful hints?

:eek:

Doh!

One Too Many
It totally depends on your relationship with the giver -- I have close friends whom, if they asked me to be "honest," really want my opinion so I'd never hesitate to say, "Thanks, but this isn't really my taste."

Other folk, such as relatives, you'd be safer saying "Thanks!," wear the item once so they see it, then put it away... until you per chance see them again.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I need to update this thread.

I have a relative, the same one who gave me the gift that was the impetus for my starting this thread five years ago, who this year gave me the gift I gave her last year! Yes! Not only did she re-gift, but she gave it to the original giver, me! :eusa_doh: I thanked her for the lovely gift and said I thought it was so nice which is why I gave it to her last year. She laughed and said "oh" and that she thought she bought it at a shop this year?!

Do you have any awkward holiday gift moments??

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I need to update this thread.

I have a relative, the same one who gave me the gift that was the impetus for my starting this thread five years ago, who this year gave me the gift I gave her last year! Yes! Not only did she re-gift, but she gave it to the original giver, me! :eusa_doh: I thanked her for the lovely gift and said I thought it was so nice which is why I gave it to her last year. She laughed and said "oh" and that she thought she bought it at a shop this year?!

Do you have any awkward holiday gift moments??

A couple of years ago my grandmother gave me the gift that my mother had given her THAT SAME CHRISTMAS. She must have rewrapped and regifted within about 20 minutes.

glynb

New in Town
That is OUTSTANDING! LOL

You should have handed the gift back to your grandmother and said with a straight face "Hey Granny, somebody stole your gift, rewrapped it, and gave it to me" then give it back to her like your doing her a favor. I bet the look on her face would have been priceless!:D

glynb

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It totally depends on your relationship with the giver -- I have close friends whom, if they asked me to be "honest," really want my opinion so I'd never hesitate to say, "Thanks, but this isn't really my taste."

Other folk, such as relatives, you'd be safer saying "Thanks!," wear the item once so they see it, then put it away... until you per chance see them again.

I agree with this spot on. It totally depends on who the person is. If it is someone you can truly be honest with, then there is nothing wrong letting them know politely that it really isn't your style.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I say accept known 1st-time gifts graciously, wear once in the presence of the giver (as suggested above) if its not too big or awkward to your taste, and then be done with it.

If its not a re-gift, someone actually went out to purchase something. I would make them feel good about it. If its a re-gift, use your judgment.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Putting aside a coffee mug last year to regift, I realized when I found it this year that I don't remember who gave it to me so I don't dare regift it! atuck with it!

So don't wait too long to pass it along. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As much as I reuse and recycle in my own life, there's something about re-gifting that sets my teeth on edge. It always seems to carry an air of "I really don't care enough about you to actually think out something that you'd actually enjoy, I'm just giving you this because I'm culturally obligated to do so, and now that I have I don't have to think about you again until next year." Nertz to that.

As poor as we were when I was growing up, I can't ever remember either giving or getting a re-gift. Not even a fruitcake.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If someone gives me a "re-gift" (I had a brother do this years ago), I just keep my mouth shut. Some people really don't remember. And it is rude to criticize a gift. Just say, "Oh how, ..nice...., um thank you so much for this". The comments and laughter can be to yourself or spouse as you drive home. Really. It will be timeless. Years later you can say, "Ha, remember when old Uncle Bill gave me that same wild tie at Christmas". Family memories : Priceless.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
You should have handed the gift back to your grandmother and said with a straight face "Hey Granny, somebody stole your gift, rewrapped it, and gave it to me" then give it back to her like your doing her a favor. I bet the look on her face would have been priceless!:D

glynb

I gave it back to her - rewrapped - the following year. Nothing was said!

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
Last year I was given a sweater three sizes too big by my sister in law. I have recently lost 65 plus pounds so an x tra large is way way too big for me. It was her size and obviously a re-gift. I tried it on and told her, "well gee it is a tad too big might you like to keep it for yourself?" This year I gave her a set of Narnia audio books that someone gave me over the summer, did not spend a dime on her and she loved the gift. This year I did not get any clothes from her, lol.

JimWagner

Practically Family
We don't do gifts except to the grandchildren. Avoids all that awkwardness.

Besides, at this stage of the game we're more interested in getting rid of 40 years of accumulated stuff than adding to it.

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I'm more inclined to think that it was either a re-gift or something that they were trying to get rid of. I work at an Indian restaurant. I would have rather gotten nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran