Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

If I do want to go out, I'd have to bend my standards, music-wise. Usually, there's plenty of looks when I show up at one of the hot spots in a fedora and sport jacket. I typically, don't go out, though. My idea of fun lately has been relaxing at home, and listening to 50's on 5.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I do want to go out, I'd have to bend my standards, music-wise. Usually, there's plenty of looks when I show up at one of the hot spots in a fedora and sport jacket. I typically, don't go out, though. My idea of fun lately has been relaxing at home, and listening to 50's on 5.
I, too have to bend (some days: a lot!), mostly it's concerning music.
As much as I love lounging on the sofa and reading (while enjoying quality sounds of Big Bans.. em.. I'm in that phase), I do like to GET OUT and mingle. That's pretty much where I hit the time-wall: I'm an "early evening" mingler, everyone else seem to be into "night" mingling. [huh]

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
I'm 20. I started heading in the vintage direction when I was around 16 and looking for a style of my own in high school. I've always loved things that have a backstory, a history, I guess I'm just romantic like that :) I always loved jazz and swing and had a passion for old cars (my uncle imports classic american cars and fixes them up so we've had 1950's Buicks, a 61' Chevy impala etc. sitting in our driveway and I went to my school ball in a 1928 burgandy Ford Tudor :) ) so it sort of just made sense. I started looking on youtube and doing my hair in 1940s styles and then moved on to clothes, make-up etc. I don't wear vintage all the time and I do go out and enjoy modern music and clubs etc. as well - but I suspect that what I consider to be "modern" or "normal" still has a definite vintage flair to it :p
I live in Perth, Australia, which is basically a big country town and when I started I got looks and stares, still do, but the city has become a lot more accepting of people who are different, especially vintage/indie/rockabilly etc. over the past 5 years. My friends thought I was completely barmy at first but they all love it now and have even gotten me to teach them how to do winged eyeliner etc. :)

Stray Cat

but the city has become a lot more accepting of people who are different, especially vintage/indie/rockabilly etc.
The awful truth:
People here are more to accept indigo-haired, black-mouthed girl with a tattoo on her forehead, than me. Her, they'll just sort of write off as "doing all that being eccentric and individual artistic thing". Me, they still ask "Who raided grandma's wardrobe?" :fish:

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Forgot to say - by far my favourite place to go out here is a place called Deville's Pad. It's not vintage per se - its set up like a Las Vegas club and is "hell" themed. But they have swing music (people often lindy-hop on the dance floor), the carpark is always full of hot rods and if you ask for a sloe gin fizz they don't look at you like you're mental ! The majority of people there dress vintage or at least "classier" than the average club - it's over 24's but to be honest I think that's just an excuse to turn away people that haven't quite made the effort. That being said, I've taken my friends there who aren't vintage and they've also had a great night :) So while I do go to "normal" clubs when I have to, I'd much prefer to go somewhere like that :)

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Me, they still ask "Who raided grandma's wardrobe?"

In many cases, I actually have raided my grandma or my mother's wardrobe - I see nothing wrong with that :p Although, now that I have very short hair I am noticing I'm getting a lot more attention...apparently that's a step too far and Perth can't quite handle it.

Stray Cat

^^Oh, it was not said to me in a nice "here's a looker" way. It supposed to sound like "..and you should have stay in that wardrobe, Grandma". Now, if my grandma had some barely-covering clothes.. Even if you shave your head, as long as you give them something below the neck to look at.. "Well, hello there!" :eyebrows:
Indigo-haired girl, and her silly torn stockings (I meet her every day on my way to work)... *yucky*

We're supposed to go out for my best friend's girlfriend's 21st this weekend. I don't even wanna go. This old fart thinks they play the songs to fast and too loud and everybody looks like punks lol

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I wish I could've gotten some of my vintage stuff from my grandpa's closet, he was a well dressed gentleman to the end, but my family was the type that didn't keep ANYTHING. If something got old and worn or was looking passe and old fashioned they normally threw it out or gave it away to another family, thus by the time I got into vintage my grandpa didn't own anything vintage whatsoever. My mom however did keep my grandpa's '50s/'60s era cufflinks and tie bar, which I proudly wore this past Easter Sunday. My grandma did keep some vintage items, including her 1959 era bedroom set.

Sounds like my kinda club!

Join the Granny-clothes club, sir!
We serve good cider (emm, I meant to say "tea"), and play the long forgotten tunes. :D

In the same boat, here. My Grandpa on my dad's side is an identical size and build to me (or was in the 1950's) I see old photos of him, and he had awesome clothes, and was, and still is a hat-wearer. Unfortunately, he sold the house he built in '51, in '87 and tossed most of the old clothes out, instead of moving them. What could have been.

I wish I could've gotten some of my vintage stuff from my grandpa's closet, he was a well dressed gentleman to the end, but my family was the type that didn't keep ANYTHING. If something got old and worn or was looking passe and old fashioned they normally threw it out or gave it away to another family, thus by the time I got into vintage my grandpa didn't own anything vintage whatsoever. My mom however did keep my grandpa's '50s/'60s era cufflinks and tie bar, which I proudly wore this past Easter Sunday. My grandma did keep some vintage items, including her 1959 era bedroom set.

Stray Cat

Unfortunately, he sold the house he built in '51, in '87 and tossed most of the old clothes out, instead of moving them. What could have been.

They throw away clothes thinking "the young ones won't need it, they'll buy their own". They had the idea that "times will change" and "they wouldn't want this old junk".. and, boy.. do we regret they had that kind of thinking. :eusa_doh:

They didn't expect grandkids like us. Look at most of 'em! lol

They throw away clothes thinking "the young ones won't need it, they'll buy their own". They had the idea that "times will change" and "they wouldn't want this old junk".. and, boy.. do we regret they had that kind of thinking. :eusa_doh:

will.james

New in Town
its cool there is a lot of younger guys and girls into vintage out of my close friends i'm the only one

xXClockwork

New in Town
25 here. I recently got into vintage things in the past couple of years. It started as antique wood furniture, and has seeped into other areas of life such as dress, movies, radio, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo