Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

carter

I'll Lock Up
When I was in High School, I went to one of those Youth group events where everyone brings a sandwich. I thought we each ate our own but when we arrived, I realized that all the sandwiches were a smorgasboard from which each person took any sandwich. :eek:
I desperately searched for mine as I had made a double-decker of liverwurst, sharp cheddar, mustard, peanut butter, and mayonnaise!

Luckily I found it. :eusa_doh:

Another culinary crisis narrowly averted. :D

Josephine

One Too Many
timorous me said:
- Cold meatloaf and ketchup sandwich on good white bread.

I like cold meatloaf sandwiches too, with ketchup and butter. And flank steak sandwiches with a little bit of blue cheese dressing instead of mayo.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scary sandwich anecdote

Whilst a callow youth in 1986 or so, I "ran away from home" and ended up at the Teen Canteen on Hollywood Boulevard, a "homeless youth shelter" (pretty sick, as I had my own room in my parents' house but I had recently decided I was an anarchist etc.). In return for about an hour of sweeping we received "sandwiches" and gross watery punch. The "sandwiches" (yes, the scare quotes are meant to be scary) were WHITE BREAD (not fresh), ONE SINGLE SLICE OF BALONEY, and YELLOW MUSTARD. That was it. No tomatoes. No pickle. No red onion slices. NOT EVEN A SINGLE BLOODY SQUARE OF AMERICAN (yuck) CHEESE. You could barely taste the "meat" for the bread. Uttttttterly disgusting.

A good lesson for a punk like me. I went home forthwith to my poor underappreciated parents. Since those years I have apologized repeatedly for my ingratitude and our relationship is now of the most rare and beautiful excellence.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Doran
A good lesson for a punk like me. I went home forthwith to my poor underappreciated parents. Since those years I have apologized repeatedly for my ingratitude and our relationship is now of the most rare and beautiful excellence.

Which goes to prove that home is more than just a good sandwich. ;)

My brother and I ran away once but we came home after our dad agreed not to put us in military school. It's a long story.

Doran, I'm glad to hear that your relationshp with your parents is so good now. Thanks for this posting. :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This Sunday morning I feel like ...

Grilled Toasted Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
and
Smoked Salmon/Avocado Sandwich

so delicious!!!!!!!!!! :D

timorous me

Familiar Face
I can't believe that I forgot to mention this one:

Toasted bagel, cream cheese, chives, and lox. Though it only counts as a sandwich if you stick the two halves together, which I consider heresy.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by timorous me
Toasted bagel, cream cheese, chives, and lox. Though it only counts as a sandwich if you stick the two halves together, which I consider heresy.

Mmmmmm.....I used to have this for breakfast in Philly in the early 90's. There was a mini-mart on Delaware Avenue that served great bagels.

I must admit that I always committed heresy with my bagel. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
HadelyH, Are you having one of those or all three for breakfast? :D

OK, I'm going to get something to eat. Then I'm going to see Stardust. :)

Dr Doran

timorous me said:
I can't believe that I forgot to mention this one:

An open-faced sandwich. I like a lot of lox. A monstrous amount.

And, Carter, thank you. That is nice of you to say.

timorous me

Familiar Face
Doran said:
I like a lot of lox. A monstrous amount.

Yes. Very monstrous. Monstrously monstrous. Lox is a food group, don't you know? Especially from these guys. (I must say I'm biased, though, and living in Maine is advantageous... they sell their lox online for forty bucks a pound, where i can get a pound of "trim" - the ugly bits that aren't perfect, forty-dollar-a-pound, mail-order slices - for six dollars at my local grocery chain. Tastes just as good, maybe better, 'cause it's cheap!)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by HadleyH
None, carter I'm having none [huh] lol Can you believe it???? :( lol

You, my dear, are a lady of strong will and forbearance. :eusa_clap lol I salute your fortitude. :eusa_clap lol

Now, what was that question regarding lox? Or...as our friend Doran writes, "I like a lot of lox. A monstrous amount." :D

Dr Doran

HadleyH said:
Is this lox you are talking about like salmon? :)

The ancient proto-indo-european word for river salmon was something like lachss ... we are talking 2000 BC. The word survived until today. Isn't linguistics fun? Yes, it's salmon.

(This info is probably in the Indo-European Root Section of the American Heritage Dictionary on your shelf.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael