Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

I'm often sorry I've missed out on so many great topics over the years and am glad many are resurrected.

I haven't read the whole thread, but the best sandwich in the world is a traditional Cuban sandwich, the kind you'd get in Ybor City in Tampa (not like those yahoos down in Miami make them). Roast pork, ham, salami, Swiss cheese and dill pickle, in that order, on Cuban bread with butter or yellow mustard.

The second best sandwich is a filet from a grouper that was swimming 10 minutes ago, grilled over hot coals served on Cuban bread with spicy mustard.

Both are heaven.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Sometimes you just can't beat a good old simple tomato sandwich: Just two slices of loaf bread, mayo, a thick slice of tomato, salt and pepper. Heaven on a warm Spring morning, eaten under the shade of the front porch off a paper plate.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes you just can't beat a good old simple tomato sandwich: Just two slices of loaf bread, mayo, a thick slice of tomato, salt and pepper. Heaven on a warm Spring morning, eaten under the shade of the front porch off a paper plate.

You make me wonder if anyone on the Lounge has ever bothered making cucumber sandwiches on a hot, summer's day.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm a sucker for the good old bacon sarnie. Hot bacon on thick buttered white bread with a thin smear of brown sauce (Daddies preferably but HP or even bbq sauce at a pinch). Or a cold roast beef or lamb sandwich with chutney or hot English mustard, an oldie but a goodie. And a fish finger sandwich at 2am after a few whistle wetters never goes amiss ;)

Living in Melbourne with it large Vietnamese community I also have a soft spot now for banh mi although technically back home we'd call this a filled roll rather than a sandwich.

And at the local fair the other day I had a cracker - hot roast pork with crackling and salsa verde in Turkish bread. Absolutely bloody beautiful.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Next time you are in London, get yourself along to the East End Sunday Market known as Petticoat Lane: It really is for tourists, in decades gone by you could find a bargain or two, it's a Sunday market because it was originally set up by Jewish immigrants. Their's being a different sabbath to Christians. Keep a firm grip on your valuables, and when you have had your fill of cockney spiel, head along to Blooms, for the best, hot salt beef on rye bread, sandwich in the capital.

But, for me, Le Petit Vendôme, Place Vendôme, 1er 8 rue Capucines in Paris, where I enjoyed the best: Bacon, brie and mango chutney, served up in a mini baguette. Ooh la la.

Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich.

banhmi.jpg bahnmi2.jpg

Shantel Morris

New in Town
I had a Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich last year in a deli near St. Catharine Street West in Montreal, and it was a revelation. The meat was perfect, the bread was crispy but fluffy on the inside and I still can't believe I ate the whole thing. It was huge! I can't wait to have another next time I go to that city.

My everyday favourite is toasted rye bread with a bit of homemade mayo and dijon, turkey, spinach, tomato and cucumbers thickly closed for texture. It's delicious!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I ate meat, my favorite sandwich was a hot lamb sandwich. Some leftover lab roast, sliced thick and warm on toasted white bread and mayonnaise. Maybe some lettuce and tomato. :) My second favorite would have to be a good BLT.

Now since I am not eating meat, I make a mean portabello mushroom burger. I take some portabellos and marinate them in ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and balsamic. I make homemade french bread rolls. Then I grill out the portabellos over a pit fire of cherry and apple wood. Pretty darned good. Add some fire grilled peppers, lettuce, tomato, and mayo with a bit of mustard.

Right now, as far as chain-food goes I've been finding Jersey Mike's #13, the Original Italian, surprisingly good for fast-food. Meat's sliced fresh while you wait, but the pickles they use are worth commenting on in their own right, crisp, tart and just thick enough to give you a good "snap"--way better than the shavings a lot of other big-name sandwich shops use.

Hercule

Practically Family

Yes indeed!!! Grew up on them in CT as a kid and still love them to this day. Lettuce sandwiches and mustard sandwiches too. Though I've long since outgrown sugar sandwiches.

Justin B

One Too Many
Me and a friend have come up with a sandwich that is...well...

Bread bowl (Bigger is better)
Two thin sliced pork chops
Caramelized onions
Cheese of choice(I like Pepper Jack)
Layer of thin sliced steak
Sauteed mushrooms
Spicy Mustard
Another layer of pork chops
Crispy fried potatoes
Heinz 57 Sauce
More cheese
Top of bread bowl

Wrap it up in foil and put something very, very heavy on top (I used a paver stone). Once it's sat for an hour or so in the fridge (or better yet over night) put it in the oven at 400º for around 12-15 minutes. Slice into it and eat. We call it "The Dirty Good Sandwich of Doom".

Renault

One Too Many
I mentioned a Dagwood in conversation the other day and no one knew what I was talking about. Said something about I was gonna make me a Dagwood for lunch. Had to explain it to em. Mebbe another for the terms not used anymore thread! ;)

( heck, they didn't even know who The Bumsteads were!).

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I mentioned a Dagwood in conversation the other day and no one knew what I was talking about. Said something about I was gonna make me a Dagwood for lunch. Had to explain it to em. Mebbe another for the terms not used anymore thread! ;)

( heck, they didn't even know who The Bumsteads were!).

In all our travels around the USA, we cannot recall which eatery actually had on the menu a Dagwood, maybe Ferrells Ice Cream parlors out west? But hard to beat a real Dagwood, great taste and you won't feel like you need anything else for a while to eat. Bumsteads were a great pair of comics in front of the camera husband and wife ....you would think people would know about the TV shows....

It is O.K. though, some younger people are somewhat limited in knowing famous people unless they are current in the gossip news....you can appreciate this one...my youngest Daughter during a conversation with me, responded she was not sure who the 12 Apostles were, but she was sure they started as a band in England....I had to try to explain they are 12 men whom were in the Bible and walked with Jesus spreading the Gospel. She stated back, wow...that was a few years ago then, right? So I left it off with a slight humorous comment, yes, it was a long time ago, the year I was born.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes indeed!!! Grew up on them in CT as a kid and still love them to this day. Lettuce sandwiches and mustard sandwiches too. Though I've long since outgrown sugar sandwiches.

Those dear Sir are all a relative of the original "wish" sandwich....in that you'd eat it but "wished" it had more contents.....lol!

Served with a "wish" drink....luke warm water....:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider