Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Aw, thanks, Lolly, I'm taking a look now.

I swear I have not been much of a baby at all generally, I really DO love it here, I just am adjusting.

We're also getting ready to move (we bought a place, woo!) and i think sometimes just being kinda overwhelmed just makes me want really random things from back home. Like Tastykakes, and also my mom. :eek:

I lived in Thailand for an extended period & yes it always takes time to adjust.

Congrats on the house purchase! Thats great, where abouts?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I've not had brains... tongue is SO good, though! And chopped chicken liver is IMPORTANT. I could never convince my friends of the merits of chicken gizzards/hearts, though. Or beef heart. Kidney is not as good as heart.

EDIT for crossposting: It's a unit in Leumeah which is just outside Campbelltown, NSW. My hubby is quite excited - it means he gets faster internet. And it's just a unit, but I get to paint and stuff so I'm happy. :)

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Everyone tells me there's tons in Melbourne. But that's like eight hours away which seems like the sort of thing my husband would require more explanation for than I WANT A SAMMICH.

Viola,

A lot of the bigger supermarkets here in Melbourne usually have a small Jewish foods section in one of the aisles. Have you checked something like a Coles or Woolies which is near you?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I checked Woolies. No love. Did find tortillas, though. Which made me pretty happy. I made Highly Inauthentic Chili the other day and it came out pretty good. Do burritos count as sandwiches?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
But that ain't the kind of deli we're talkin' about.;)

Just trying to give Viola a last ditch option as they don't seem to have the odd Jewish deli or bakery up in her part of NSW like we do down here in Melbourne.

Failing that Viola you could always become a Victorian!

docneg

One of the Regulars
Okay, this is the perfect forum for this. Sandwich meets vintage movie.

The Black Orchid sandwich (my creation):

Fried egg (fried in salted butter), placed on toasted Jewish rye bread with mayo, a slice of tomato (lotsa black pepper on the tomato), and pieces of fresh sweet basil scattered over the tomato.

I made one of these back in '78 while watching a wonderful movie on TV called "The Black Orchid" (Anthony Quinn and Sophia Loren). It was so good I made another one during the next commercial. Then another during the next. I named it after the movie and have made it for people ever since. Everybody loves it. I had a Black Orchid party just a few weeks ago.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
One of my favorite sandwiches has to be a big ol' steamed muffuletta. Contrary to popular belief, it originated in what used to be my secondary hometown, Mobile, Alabama, and NOT New Orleans as New Orleanians like to claim.

th

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto