Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Flieger

Practically Family
My favourite "uisge beatha" is Lagavulin 16 ys. But this New Years Eve I had the pleasure of tasting Caol Ila 18 ys... and MY what a pleasure it was...

/F

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Haven't had scotch...yet. But other favorite liquors: Calvados (anyone have any suggestions for good, economy-priced names to try?), absinthe, cassis, Jameson (and Glenfidditch) whiskeys...

I wonder what I'll quaff tonight? lol So many choices...

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Icy cold gin martini with a spritz or little drizzle of vermouth - glasses and gin kept in the freezer - usually three olives, sometimes a couple olives & a couple onions.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Currently in the house we have The Glenlivet 18 yr, Glenfiddich SR 12 yr, Laphroaig 15 yr, Glenmorangie 12 yr, Springbank 12 yr, and The MacCallan 12 yr. No Island or Lowland single malts but I'd be drinking Auchentoshan if I had any.

Also a bottle of Glenfiddich Malt Whiskey Liqueur that I found in Toronto. This beats Port for an after-dinner drink in my book. There's a bottle of Lochanora around here somewhere as well.

The Irish are represented by Jameson Reserve 12 yr and Jameson Gold Special Reserve.

Rosie, I enjoy Japanese Plum Wine as well.
:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR! :cheers1:

ContinentalOp

New in Town
My preference is generally for bourbon. I've gotten some flak for my favorite choice, 12-year-old Old Charter. To me it's a very smooth, easy drinking bourbon. I also like Maker's Mark.

I'm not much of a Scotch drinker, but a few years ago I read a book by Barry Eisler where the protagonist (a hitman with a talent for making his hits look like death by natural causes) is a connoisseur of single malt Scotch whiskies. It piqued my curiosity so I decided to sample a few different varieties, and I ended up really liking 21-year-old Glenfarclas. Coincidentally, I'm enjoying some right now as I type this. I never really understood all the talk about tastes, textures, and aromas until I tried Glenfarclas.

I like warm sake, which is a little odd considering I think it smells like rubbing alcohol.

If I'm out and about with friends, I'll usually drink Jack-and-Cokes, because it doesn't hit me quite as hard as other drinks, even beer.

And speaking of beer, I don't drink it much. My favorite is Pacifico, though I'll get Red Stripe once in a while. If those aren't available, I'll usually just get a Corona.

I'm not much of a wine drinker. On the rare occassion when I do drink wine, I tend to prefer white wines, particularly chardonnay. I did try a shiraz once that was very nice with veal scallopini.

That's pretty much it for my tastes. At some point I'd like to attend a tasting and try a variety of drinks.

Copper

One of the Regulars
I just discovered an Islay that has become a favourite - Finlaggan Reserve. It is smoky and peaty like any Islay, but has this incredible chocolately creaminess about it. inever thought I would describe a Scotch as creamy, let alone in a good way, but there you have it. It is an incredible value as well.

Ardneg, Laphroaig and Talisker are all great cold winter sitting-by-the-fire whiskies

For a lighter, sweeter whisky, I like Glenmorangie Port or Burgundy finish.

I do like having a bottle of the 'good stuff' around at any given time, for special guests and toasting occasions - My current one is a private bottling of a 28 year old Auchentoshan. and before that was a 1971 Bowmore and 1968 Knockandu. The 28 yr Auchentoshan is probably the finest whisky I have ever had - even better than the bottle of 50 year old that I got my grandmother for Christmas last year. It is near perfection in Scotch.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Best non-clothing thread ever

I remember the first glass of 15 year old glenfiddich I was given from my Uncle with my first Rocky Patel cigar... And am still a big fan of both.

topcat

Familiar Face
Well! Happy New Year to one and all! Figured if I never posted anything
else this one thread will live forever long as the bar stays open, not
sensing last call for a while yet anyways.
On topic, BRANDY....you prefer VSOP? XO? VINTAGE? Agewise that is.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I don't drink much. Truth be told, I don't drink nearly enough, nevertheless, I have been known to drink.

Last night, New years Eve, my kids insisted that I imbibe. I agreed so long as they watched a movie with me. I chose "1941 - The Director's Cut" and a vodka martini. My vodka martini recipe is 3 parts vodka (Absolute), 1 part gin (Bombay Sapphire in this case), and about a dash of vermouth. It can be shaken without bruising the gin and it needs to be ice cold. I like to start by packing the cocktail glass with ice.

Beyond that, I like a good single malt. I prefer Glenlivet to Glenfiddich, but right now I'm working my way through a 12-year-old bottle of the Macallan. It's a fine drink and I almost hate to use it as the basis for a Rusty Nail, but umm those are tasty. Once that's done I'm thinking about a bottle of Lagavulin. I like peety scotches.

I must say I also really enjoy Gentleman Jack on the rocks. I can pretty much lose track of all time with a steady train of those.

Mark

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Not really a scotch drinker. It's not that I don't like it, just not my preference. I do however prefer a nice glass of Bombay Sapphire gin on the rocks, in a DRY martini, with a twist of lime... I could go on! lol

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I am a spirits enthusiast, but I need to acquaint myself with many more single malts before I can put forth an informed comparative opinion on that subject. Scotch is not an everynight indulgence for me, whereas beer most certainly is (as I have written about with enthusiasm in another thread). I did recently finish a bottle of Balvenie 10 which I thought was great. Good scotch is an expensive hobby and this holds me back a little.

I like Canadian whiskies such as Crown Royal and Canadian Club. Bourbon is a great favorite of mine -- Knob Creek and Maker's Mark in particular. I need more experience with rye and with Irish whiskey.

Among other spirits, gin is supreme with me. I like many gins, really just about all quality and premium gins. Bombay Sapphire is heavenly. Citadelle is a new favorite and makes an ultra-smooth gin and tonic.

I'm not as much of a wine guy, although I enjoy a good class of riesling, and should try port.

Vodka, rum, and tequila are lower among my priorities: I seldom drink them., although I've had tasty premium rums on occasion. I like brandy but need to develop more expertise in it. When I've had sake, I've liked it very much.

I am fond of a number of liqueurs, orange-based Cointreau notable among them (and Grand Marnier isn't bad either!). Scotch-based Drambuie is quite good. I'll order Campari and soda at Italian restaurants (which no one but me seems to do).

Another favorite liqueur, although hard to find in the US, is Pimm's, the British gin-based liqueur. Any time I see Pimm's behind a bar, I order it. Any time I see a bottle of it in a liquor store, I buy it. It is a very vintage-y beverage with a long history going back to the 18th century. If you like gin and you've never tried Pimm's, you owe yourself.

Mike in Seattle said:
Icy cold gin martini with a spritz or little drizzle of vermouth - glasses and gin kept in the freezer - usually three olives, sometimes a couple olives & a couple onions.

Definitely in my park for the way a martini needs to be made. I find the vermouth tends to freeze when kept in the freezer though. Makes it kind of like a slurpee. :p lol

Dr Doran

Scotch: OBAN.

Vodka: in Poland you can get zubrowka, which infused with bison grass. Love it straight and cold.

Tequila: anything expensive and ultra-reposado.

Dr Doran

Scotch: OBAN.

Vodka: in Poland you can get zubrowka, which is infused with bison grass. Love it straight and cold.

Tequila: anything expensive and ultra-reposado.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24