Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Scotch? Your Favorite liquor in general?

Highlander

A-List Customer
My Current Collection (missing one bottle)

Here is my current Collection of Scotch (many about 1/2 full, the rest over that). :)

Scotch-vi.jpg

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Dewars is my everyday go to Scotch and Oban is my favorite single malt. There are times, however, when nothing but a Lagavulin will do..... Drambuie is about the only afterdinner drink I like, along with eaux de vie.

kbadr

Familiar Face
I have a 21 year old Balvenie that I quite like.

One of my favorites is a 16 year Craggenmore. It was surprisingly light in color for the age of the scotch. I also rather enjoyed my 12 (?) year Glenrothes.

For a good, inexpensive, "scotch" I highly recommend Nikka. It's not scotch, since it's made in Japan, but it has won top honors at international competitions. It's only about $25 a bottle, too.

On an unrelated note, I recently ordered scotch neat at a chain restaurant/bar while I was out of town for a wedding. The drink was brought to me ice cold, as if it had been in a shaker, and it had clearly been watered down. Quite pathetic.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jkingrph said:
I like Scotch, but when I can find it prefer Armanac.

Armagnac-- a most lovely liqueur. I was given a bottle for my wedding, in a wooden box. Friends carried it on train and bus from Paris to Krakow and thence into the villages. I carried it back (but on a plane so it doesn't count) from Poland to Berkeley. It took years to drink it.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
I'm new to Scotch, myself, and thus have little to go on in terms of making comparisons. However, after having received my additional tax rebate from the feds I decided to splurge a bit at the liquor store and buy a good bottle of Scotch.

I had talked about Scotch with a guy at our monthly Irish music session, about what makes a good Scotch. His bottle of choice is Bowmore Legend, though he also recommended Macallan, Glen Morangie, Laphroaig, and Dalmore. After searching the shelves at the store, I decided that the Dalmore 12 year, at $36, seemed like my best bet for under $40.

There's definitely hints of orange and spice, and it has a good, long, finish. I like it. ^_^

As for another favorite liquor...ouzo.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
topcat said:
Laphroaig. If you dare such on your palate don't be suprised if
heartburn lasts a week.
Oh yes Laphoaig. Lovely and peaty in fact the peatiest I've tasted but "laughin' frog" doen't give me heartburn I'm glad to say or I'd have to have a gaviscon chaser each time :D

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I am partial to Macallen 12 ,,,,,,,

although I love the peety single malts,Laphorig,Talisker to name a few.

I use to work in Vermont where there is an Inn which had a scottish pub i it.

The owner was a scotch fanatic he must of had 100 plus different types of scotch......very cool....

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Anyone see Glenlivet's latest 25 year release? I especially love the packaging.

glenlivetxxv.jpg

Luxist said:
Glenlivet has stepped up their game with the release of The Glenlivet XXV, a new premium 25-year-old whisky. The whisky is finished in first-fill sherry casks for two years for extra flavor and sweetness. The whisky has a notes of honey and malt with a fruity palate. Recently Malt Advocate tasted it and ranked it a 93. It comes in an impressive wooden gift box with a slab of limestone with the name inscribed on it. The box also includes a booklet detailing the history of the whisky and a certificate of quality. It will sell for $350 and will be available this fall.

Nash Buckingham said:
I saw this at the liquor store and almost picked it up - I will now.Sounds like a good flavor. Is it a dark smokey peat flavor?:cheers1:

Do you have a cigar recommendation to go with it?

It is more malty than peaty. Probably why it goes with a good cigar. It is clearly a Highland Scotch. Think Macallan.
My choice that evening was either a Partagas 8-9-8 or a LaGloria Cubana Taino. :D :cheers1:

jamespowers said:
It is more malty than peaty. Probably why it goes with a good cigar. It is clearly a Highland Scotch. Think Macallan.
My choice that evening was either a Partagas 8-9-8 or a LaGloria Cubana Taino. :D :cheers1:

Ah Macallan - another nectar.:eusa_clap

I'm stopping this evening for the dalmore, then to the cigar shop - it might be a good weekend!

thank you for the recommendations.

Dalmore Cigar Malt

jamespowers said:
Ok, heres to a great weekend then. :cheers1:
I had some last night by the way. :D

Ah at last yesterday aquired the coveted bottle of cigar malt - could not get the recommended cigar but paired it with a fuente 8 5 8 outstanding flavor - it will now be added to the Lavagulin and Cao Isla!

the only problem I had was wanting more :)

Thanks for brining it to my attention

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails