Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My own opinion is that the key is to keep active: physically as much as possible, but certainly, mentally.
That's about it, that and Walter Cronkite's take on aging: Something about never trusting a fart, never wasting an erection and never passing up on a drink. I guess you could add, if there's and opportunity to take a pee, then go. A safety pee is what we call it. Strange isn't it. When you are just four years old, success is not peeing your pants, it's the same goal when you are eighty. And when you are twenty, success is having sex. It's a similar goal when you reach seventy.

...I think such obsessives live so long (McFadden died at 87, Kellogg at 91) because their work is never finished, making them reluctant to die.
I sincerely believe there's something to this, i.e. having some purpose that keeps you going. My father-in-law retired in his early-60s due to congestive heart failure, but he continued to paint houses and do other "handyman" work around the neighborhood (as he had done his entire life), took up gardening, and lived to be 89 years old. My dad, on the other hand, was forced to retire at the age of 72; he was a workaholic, but didn't really have much to do after he retired except for a little yardwork and such, and he died two years later.

That's about it, that and Walter Cronkite's take on aging: Something about never trusting a fart, never wasting an erection and never passing up on a drink. I guess you could add, if there's and opportunity to take a pee, then go. A safety pee is what we call it. Strange isn't it. When you are just four years old, success is not peeing your pants, it's the same goal when you are eighty. And when you are twenty, success is having sex. It's a similar goal when you reach seventy.
This actually had me laughing out loud. Thank you!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Macfadden could have lived even longer, had he not refused to take medical treatment for a urinary tract infection, which by that time was easily cured by antibiotics. By the time he finally did seek treatment, it was too late.

He was without question the most prominent American contrarian of the 20th Century -- on the one hand he really was a groundbreaker in making people aware of the dangers of processed foods at a time when processed foods were considered a sign of scientific progress. But on the other hand, he was the father of modern sleazy tabloid media -- his New York paper, the Evening Graphic, was the most disreputable sheet in the city, which was no small achievement when William Randolph Hearst was still in his prime. It's an interesting fact that the very same man who gave the world Physical Culture Magazine and did more than anyone to make vegetarianism acceptable in the US made most of his fortune publishing "True Story."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Sheesh. I just read this entire thread. What a way to spend a Saturday evening. As someone said "it's like visiting a graveyard." But thanks all, I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm not alone in pondering these things.

You cannot control what others do or say to you, but you can control on what you can do about it.

Don’t let the negative vibes of the flying monkeys get you down .
That’s how they see their world.

I have seen the face of death many times & I’ve spat on it
as I walked through the yellow brick road.

You are not alone.
Cheers,
Dorothy, Toto & me.

ok...cue the song, Somewhere Over the Rainbow. :p

Last edited:
It's somehow strange. I bought my tube-tv in May 2000 and it's till alive. I was watching on that tv since the age of 15, having fun, playing my Playstation 1 alone or with school-mates, too. Watching "Blade Runner" the first time, in 2000, watching "Alien" the first time, in 2001.

Now, I am 31, got my own rented flat. Looking left behind me, there's the same TV and the same Playstation 1, standing by (on cupboard). o_O

And in my cellar, my C64c stands by, 23 years old. o_Oo_O
:D

Somehow strange, to think about:
In 10 years, I will be 41. A boy in his 40s, still walking around with the same (hobby-active) mind, like the 20 years old boy of 2004. If then I will meet female class-mates on walkarounds, I will be talking to these women in their 40s. o_O;)

Don't misunderstand me. I like the attractive ladys over 40 much more, believe me! But, I mean the ladys over 40, now, today! :)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's somehow strange. I bought my tube-tv in May 2000 and it's till alive. I was watching on that tv since the age of 15, having fun, playing my Playstation 1 alone or with school-mates, too. Watching "Blade Runner" the first time, in 2000, watching "Alien" the first time, in 2001.

Now, I am 31, got my own rented flat. Looking left behind me, there's the same TV and the same Playstation 1, standing by (on cupboard). o_O

And in my cellar, my C64c stands by, 23 years old. o_Oo_O
:D

Somehow strange, to think about:
In 10 years, I will be 41. A boy in his 40s, still walking around with the same (hobby-active) mind, like the 20 years old boy of 2004. If then I will meet female class-mates on walkarounds, I will be talking to these women in their 40s. o_O;)

Don't misunderstand me. I like the attractive ladys over 40 much more, believe me! But, I mean the ladys over 40, now, today! :)

You must’ve been good with numbers in school.
I was never any good in math, I hated it.
I just didn’t think numbers was a big deal then & now ! :cool:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't good on mathematics, didn't like it, too! Average grade "4" (only just sufficient!)

History is my favorite.
Did you know that in 1915,
British ocean liner Lusitania was sunk by German submarine, 1,195 perished.
The Boston Red Sox beat Philadelphia Phillies, 4 games to 1 in the 12th World Series.

But to stay on topic.
The realization that when speaking of a time period.
It doesn’t quite have the same feeling
(not sure what the word is that I trying to apply here.)

But when speaking of the years & happenings from the past...
1920s, 30s & so on.

2000 & so on just doesn’t have the same feeling .

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It isn't history when you've still got a sheet of newspaper describing it lining the vegetable crisper in your refrigerator. (Said paper in my crisper is dated May 12, 2003. Hey, Bill Mueller hit a homer for the Sox last night. Hot pups!)

@2jakes

Off course, I know the disaster of the Lusitania in 1915. Like many german boys in the early 90's, I was fascinated on that whole "Titanic"-thing, you know. Robert Ballard, and his books. ;)
Until 2006, the most selled model-kit in Germany was our Battleship Bismarck. After her, it was the Titanic. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It isn't history when you've still got a sheet of newspaper describing it lining the vegetable crisper in your refrigerator. (Said paper in my crisper is dated May 2003.)

The newspaper (not newspapers) went the way of the “dodo” when they stopped delivering the Sunday edition on Saturday.
TV listings became a joke.
The ads/views overpowered what ever real news was happening.
And most of all when the “BFM” decided to cut out most of my favorite
comic strips !

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I still read the Boston Globe from front to back every day, along with our local weekly, but I'm the only person I know who reads any daily paper. How else do you do the crossword puzzle???

I still do the crossword puzzles, but no longer care if the words fit...
since my vision on my right eye is gradually going “meshuga” !

And you better have a catcher’s mask if you play tennis with me !

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It's so melancholic. One of the greatest scenes in cinema, I think.[/QUOTE]

My father & I never had a deep conversation at all growing up. Mostly general talk.
On his last days in the hospital when he was unable to speak & semi-conscious,
I whispered in his ear....”the nurse says I gotta go, so come on daddy...stopped kidding,
lets get out of here & go home, ok ?"

He clutched my hand & there was tears in his eyes.
My brother asked,”What did you say?”
“I’ve been trying to talk to him with no response”.

I stayed with him all through the night.

He was gone the next morning.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Cheer up !
I never was aware of this growing up. That was the way it was.
Same with the other kids in the neighborhood.

Not until years later when I would relate to a friend did I realize.
His stories about his dad taking him fishing & enjoying things & stuff.

It’s like growing up without fancy air-conditioning in the house.

Never having experienced it when young, I didn’t miss it.

Last edited:
My father was born in 1938, experienced the heavy bombing of Leipzig in 1945. But he's ok, diabetic, but ok and still looking 15 years younger, than he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran