Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't mind seedless watermelons. They are not "genetically modified", they are just a hybrid that is "sterile". They're kind of like mules, and who doesn't love mules.

charlie-o-hawk-harrelson.jpg

Ken Harrelson doesn't love mules.

Deck the halls with advertising,
Fa la la la la la la la la.
'Tis the time for merchandising,
Profit never needs a reason,
Get the money, it's the season,
-- Stan Freberg, 1958.
Stan Freberg was brilliant, but I can't help but sing "America the Beautiful" without using George Carlin's lyrics:

Oh beautiful for smoggy skies,
Insecticided grain,
For strip-mined mountains majesty,
Above the asphalt plain,
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs,
From sea to oily sea!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Back in the sixties, at the height of the cold war, the students at Queen Mary College, University of London, would sing:
God rest ye Gerry Mental-men,
Rest easy in your bed.
Remember that the British Bomb,
is flying overhead.
To go and kill The Russians,
when the rest of us are dead.
Oh tidings of comfort & joy.

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
Remember the First Gulf War? "Desert Storm" and "SADdam" and "Stormin' Norman" and the "Scud Stud" and all the rest of it? We are now as historically remote from all that as the premeire of "Sesame Street" was from World War II.

We are further removed historically from the premiere of "Sesame Street" than World War II was from Marconi's first transatlantic radio transmission.
I can remember the night gulf storm started I was watching it on cnn and also listening on bbc on a shortwave ham receiver my dad gave me .
and on sesame street I can remember in my first grade class we copied from the chalk board a message that was sent to the us Indiana congressman at that time to vote to spare pbs all grade schools and grades 1st-6th copied and sent the same message

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now if Sesame Street was still puppet focused rather than focused so much on animation.

I've seen the modern Sesame Street and I'm not sure what it is teaching in a good 40% of it. I'm pretty sure that Sesame Street taught me my letters and numbers, but they rarely do letters and numbers during an episode today.

@sheeplady
I watched german "Sesamstraße" on my early childhood, 25 years ago, long before the beginning of primary-school, but I really can't remember, that the show educates for real. To me, it was just kind of usual (curious) entertainment, kids like to watch. But the german Sesame-Street of the 90's wasn't that great to me. There were much better shows, like "Löwenzahn".

Edward

Bartender
Here's a new one: Fingerprint activated guns with registered Carrier Companies...

I've seen thatvin scifi for years... Judge Dredd hadvone decades before Bond. Interestinf notion from a legal evidence point of view: if reliable, not only can it mean one person's gun can't be used on them by another (so potentially avoiding those terrible incidents where people's kids or dogs manage to shoot them), but also, in theory at least, the ability to decide beyond reasonable doubt that a specific person must have been the one as pulled the trigger.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
@sheeplady
I watched german "Sesamstraße" on my early childhood, 25 years ago, long before the beginning of primary-school, but I really can't remember, that the show educates for real. To me, it was just kind of usual (curious) entertainment, kids like to watch. But the german Sesame-Street of the 90's wasn't that great to me. There were much better shows, like "Löwenzahn".
I watched mainly in the early to mid-1980s.... much of which was content from the late 70s. (We have some of the late 1970s shorts on DVD and the skits my husband and I have all seen as children.)

Some of what I saw was the Sesame Street which aired in Canada. I never had any French in school, but I can count to ten in French. I can even think about numbers in my head in French without translating first from English. Thank you Quebecois' Sesame Street.

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
I've seen thatvin scifi for years... Judge Dredd hadvone decades before Bond. Interestinf notion from a legal evidence point of view: if reliable, not only can it mean one person's gun can't be used on them by another (so potentially avoiding those terrible incidents where people's kids or dogs manage to shoot them), but also, in theory at least, the ability to decide beyond reasonable doubt that a specific person must have been the one as pulled the trigger.

Not if the carrier company has activation and deactivation control...

Aaah! In 2018, my good old Playstation 1 will be 20 years old! :) TWENTY YEARS!!

299,95 very good invested Deutsche Mark, in early 1998! :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We've never had a seedless watermelon that wasn't a pale imitation of the real thing. I've no idea where yours come from, but the Mexican, southern American, South American and even occasionally Canadian greenhouse-grown ones are bland.

Seeds all the way.

We've never had a seedless watermelon that wasn't a pale imitation of the real thing. I've no idea where yours come from, but the Mexican, southern American, South American and even occasionally Canadian greenhouse-grown ones are bland.

Seeds all the way.

The ones we get are grown locally in Texas. Get a good local one, preferably from Texas, Georgia or Florida, in season of course, and they are heaven. I suspect anything you get imported is quite tasteless.

And whatever you do, for deity's sake, DO NOT put them in the refrigerator. That kills the taste right off the bat.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Your Most Disturbing Realization

Actually it was more of an embarrassing realization...
When I log in to the FL I usually click on my
“News Feed”
and check out the latest posts made by folks that I enjoy reading.

The other night, the topic on my “News Feed" was “Vintage and Pot Bellies”.
I like & collect vintage stuff all the time & thought this would be
interesting.
It didn’t take too long to realize that I was in a section reserved
for ladies & the topic was very personal subject with more information
than I cared to know about how they deal with private matters.

I realize that the home page has the menu for each category & subject.
And rules apply are listed at the front. I respect that.

But in my "news feed" only the posts are showing & does not indicate
where it’s coming from.
But now, I know better .

Disturbing...not really...embarrassing...a little bit ! :oops:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart