Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One morning, the news producer confronted me in front of the whole department including
the station manager with regards to the major problems that occurred on the air the
previous evening.
Although I knew how to do the various jobs. Their wasn’t enough people assigned
to edit the stories, operate the cameras in the studios, or roll the news tapes.
(before computers).
The producer did not assign anyone for the night shift.
In fact, took off early without telling anyone or at least make sure we were covered.

I told them in a not "too nice" way what I mentioned above about why it went bad.
The station mgr. turned around & walked away. The producer didn’t talk to me for a week.

To this day, I don’t know why I wasn’t fired ! :oops:

My getting chewed out days are behind me. So are my chewing out days.

Among the reasons I preferred working for smaller enterprises is because it is apparent who really gets the work done around such an outfit, whatever the titles or the rates of pay. I earned my keep, and more. And if there was ever reason to doubt that, I knew it before those signing the checks got to thinking along those lines too.

I acknowledge that I could be a tough guy to work under for those who were ill-suited to the work. I was demanding, but I rarely chewed. I knew finer people than I will ever be who weren't up to the job. Just didn't have the chops.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My getting chewed out days are behind me. So are my chewing out days.

Among the reasons I preferred working for smaller enterprises is because it is apparent who really gets the work done around such an outfit, whatever the titles or the rates of pay. I earned my keep, and more. And if there was ever reason to doubt that, I knew it before those signing the checks got to thinking along those lines too.

I acknowledge that I could be a tough guy to work under for those who were ill-suited to the work. I was demanding, but I rarely chewed. I knew finer people than I will ever be who weren't up to the job. Just didn't have the chops.

I’m the easiest person to work with at least that’s what every reporter told me in the 28+ years.
If I screw up, I will be the first to admit it. But one thing I will not tolerate is a hypocrite! Period.

One of my first assignments was to cover the New Years fireworks.
I went to the top roof of the station news building. Went outside & got some nice firework shots
that evening.
I discovered the next morning, that new tar had been laid down the previous day.
The head engineer was very knowledgable & a very strict person. I was very
intimidated & in awe of him, he was that good. He kept the mechanics of that
station running like clock work.
Nevertheless, I went up to him & explained it was me who tracked tar
in the fresh carpet in the top executive floor.
He looked at me & thanked me for having the guts to admit it was my fault.

I offered to take it out of my paycheck for the clean-up.
He said no, & shook my hand. :)

Last edited:

I've worked for small mom and pop companies and big international mega corporations. Both have advantages and disadvantages. In small companies, I could call the owner on the phone and run an idea by him, tell him I needed something, what have you, and get an answer in a few minutes. In larger companies, sometimes there is so much inertia that it takes forever to get something moving. On the other hand, once I convinced the mega Corp that something was needed, we had virtually unlimited resources to get it done. It's nice when the boss says "tell me how much money you'll need, but round it off to six zeros" or "if you need another million dollars, spend it. Just get it done."

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing for sure, bosses don't mind when you don't agree with them, and in the end you save them tens of thousands of dollars! I did that with a boss, talked him out of buying a C-47, later he thanked me, it would have been a money pit!

One thing for sure, bosses don't mind when you don't agree with them, and in the end you save them tens of thousands of dollars! I did that with a boss, talked him out of buying a C-47, later he thanked me, it would have been a money pit!

They're even more appreciative when you tell them "good news boss...not only did I save you money, but it looks like you won't have to go to jail after all."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've only really chewed out two people in my life. One was caught stealing from the safe to buy drugs, and the other was just a general screwup who decided he'd show up for work when he felt like it. Both of them hit the pavement.

But I treat everyone else I work with kindness and empathy. We're a very small family-like operation, and there's no room for either hierarchies or egos. While the kids will occasionally take advantage of this in small ways, as kids will in any family, in general I've been rewarded by real loyalty and by a willingness to really go the extra mile to do what needs to be done. I figure we'll never be able to pay these kids what they're really worth -- especially given that we operate under a non-profit board that squeezes every last nickel -- so the least I can do is ensure they have a working environment that treats them like human beings instead of interchangeable parts.

As far as sleazy bosses go, I worked in radio for a man who was in every possible way a moral leper, and I disdained him in every possible way. Especially after he became the state chairman of a major political party.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
No, that was the guy I worked for before. He also was a real piece of work -- he would always tell everyone "WHEN I WORKED AT NBC RADIO I WAS THE ONE WHO FIRED BILL CULLEN!" And after hearing this once too often, I commented. "And look where he is now, and look where you are."

When I left The Moral Leper, I simply picked up my typewriter, on Thursday, September 11, 1997, at 8:35 am, in the middle of a shift, and walked out the door and never looked back. You reach a point in your life when the amount of crap you're taking just isn't worth the recompense. That was the end of my radio career, and I've never regretted walking out that door.

State party chairs are often the old pols that the other players don't know what else to do with. Some got redistricted out of office, some "voluntarily" stepped aside, and some know where the bodies are buried so you gotta keep 'em around lest they blab. I never met one I can say I liked.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I offered to take it out of my paycheck for the clean-up. He said no, & shook my hand. :)
One of our blue-chip companies is a firm called M&S or Marks & Spencer. They pride themselves in setting the standard. I made the mother and father of all monumentals with one of their financial services, leaflet promotional campaigns. It went out to coincide with a television advertisement push. On discovering my error, I rang first, my boss, the regional manager. His retort: "You had better put it right." The next call I dreaded, I rang my opposite number at M&S. Told her what we had done, knowing the television connection she asked: "Can you put it right in 48 hours?" "No," I said, "it's logistically impossible, but it will all be done and dusted within 72." "Do it!" She said. It cost my company the best part of ten grand in resource and overtime, but we did it. I didn't contact either my boss or M&S, preferring to keep a low profile. However, the lady at M&S phoned me to say that she was happy with the outcome, the leaflets just made it in time to synchronise with the TV adverts, and was there anyone special who deserved a mention? I explained that all the warehouse staff, plus the drivers and those connected in a physical way had all received overtime payments, but the two ladies in my customer services department, on salary, and therefore not paid overtime, went well beyond the call of duty. The M&S manager wrote to head office, telling them that it was refreshing to have an honest response to a human error, and that they were impressed that the 72 hour deadline was achieved. Please find enclosed M&S vouchers worth £100 each to be given to the two ladies who worked so hard for no reward in order for this mistake to be put right.
The ladies were also mentioned in both our company magazine as well as that of M&S. But on reflection, I would never want to experience that 72 hours again.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No, that was the guy I worked for before. He also was a real piece of work -- he would always tell everyone "WHEN I WORKED AT NBC RADIO I WAS THE ONE WHO FIRED BILL CULLEN!" And after hearing this once too often, I commented. "And look where he is now, and look where you are."

When I left The Moral Leper, I simply picked up my typewriter, on Thursday, September 11, 1997, at 8:35 am, in the middle of a shift, and walked out the door and never looked back. You reach a point in your life when the amount of crap you're taking just isn't worth the recompense. That was the end of my radio career, and I've never regretted walking out that door.

That is basically how I quit my job on the 21st of January this year. It was putting me in a bad spot mentally and physically and I decided that I would rather be unemployed, broke and happy then working, underpaid and miserable. All my coworkers were shock but my boss was MFing me by that afternoon. I didn't see what the problem was. He told me at least twice that my replacement is a phone call away. He also called me a effing fatass to my face in front of my coworkers.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Never burned a bridge on my way out... but was tempted once. Was gonna pull the old Jimmy Cagney grapefruit bit on a nursing supervisor at a hospital where I worked. Going out the last day, we did have breakfast together... and against all of my reflexes I actually ended up liking the old gal. She was petty in some ways, but I got to see her more positive attributes - honesty, fairness, and a kindness under that hard shell.

Glad I didn't waste that grapefruit: I would have been arrested, and as things turned out I was hired back there later 3 different times. A few years later , the hospital tossed her out like a old shoe when she got older and sickly: she sued and won... and I was glad for her.

That is basically how I quit my job on the 21st of January this year. It was putting me in a bad spot mentally and physically and I decided that I would rather be unemployed, broke and happy then working, underpaid and miserable. All my coworkers were shock but my boss was MFing me by that afternoon. I didn't see what the problem was. He told me at least twice that my replacement is a phone call away. He also called me a effing fatass to my face in front of my coworkers.

You did right by yourself. There is no reason for that boss man to behave as he did. None.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points