Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

rue

One of my most disturbing realizations is that hardly anyone uses photograph albums anymore and that I'm guessing they'll be no longer used at all by the time my future grandchildren have their own kids.

Also, the fact that I haven't been on here since July of last year, and I just missed my 5th anniversary of being a member.

kaiser

A-List Customer
One of my most disturbing realizations is that hardly anyone uses photograph albums anymore and that I'm guessing they'll be no longer used at all by the time my future grandchildren have their own kids.

Also, the fact that I haven't been on here since July of last year, and I just missed my 5th anniversary of being a member.
Good to see you Rue, I think you were on the missing in action list for awhile.

The point about photo albums is correct, they are going fast, being replaced by iPads.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Hmmmm, I think the fact that it doesn't look like the Big bands will ever be back. But.... more and more new releases keep coming out of the old recordings so Im happy about that. But i sure would have liked to see Tommy Dorsey's band in it's heyday

...My father & I never had a deep conversation at all growing up. Mostly general talk...
My dad taught me how to golf, how to ride a bicycle, how to drive (yes, in that order), and by example taught me a strong work ethic, but we never had any real conversations either. In all fairness to him, he was more the "strong, silent" type than the "life of the party" type, and he worked six (and sometimes seven) days a week to make sure there was food on our table, a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs, and so on, so he really didn't have much time for chit chat. That being said, if I had wanted to have a serious conversation with him about something, I know he would have made the time for it.

Retired EE

New in Town
A disturbing realization is that now being a grandfather of 5 very young grandchildren, and soon to become a great uncle, is that it "ain't about me anymore". That is, my role in life has shifted from "being the generation on stage", to exiting the stage and doing my best to providing the new generation a positive vision for the future and to assist with their needs, and not so much mine-- life moves on.

However, another juxtaposition of reality, is that once a month I have lunch with a former colleague who is 93 years old (and finally retired in his early 80's). His parents were born in the 1870's. He's been into photography since the mid 1930's and has shown our lunch group photos he took from that time period and during WWII. He's kept up with camera technology and has converted to digital cameras. He just returned from a sub-arctic trip to photograph polar bears before they head-out onto the Hudson's Bay for their winter hunt. My friend is quite inspirational as to what one can do in their golden years, …err I mean platinum years. (By the way, I'm 3 decades younger that he is.)

I use all Tube TV's, the TV I'm currently watching on is 2 months older than me, the one in my bedroom is from 1984, among other various old consoles I have. My favorite, though, is the one my parents bought when they got married, in 1988. I have it, it still works, and to think of all the things I've watched on that thing in my life. There's home movies of baby me playing in front of the screen, etc. I watched Nixon's funeral on it, the 9/11 attacks on it, just about every episode of the Simpsons that has ever existed, multiple "Tonight Show" hosts and plan on watching it for years to come. It was only in for repairs once, in 1993.

It's somehow strange. I bought my tube-tv in May 2000 and it's till alive. I was watching on that tv since the age of 15, having fun, playing my Playstation 1 alone or with school-mates, too. Watching "Blade Runner" the first time, in 2000, watching "Alien" the first time, in 2001.

Cheer up !
I never was aware of this growing up. That was the way it was.
Same with the other kids in the neighborhood.

Not until years later when I would relate to a friend did I realize.
His stories about his dad taking him fishing & enjoying things & stuff.

It’s like growing up without fancy air-conditioning in the house.

Never having experienced it when young, I didn’t miss it.

Fathers and sons. I think, mostly it's the thing of Spock and Sarek. :(

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You are right, there was a time when you could always tell a married man from a single man. The married man has photos in his wallet where his money used to be.
So, did you remember to bring a note from your mother explaining your absence?

You are right, there was a time when you could always tell a married man from a single man. The married man has photos in his wallet where his money used to be.
Laughing out loud again! But you're absolutely right. Two things happened at approximately the same time in my life--I bought a used car that was a bigger pile of junk than I thought it was, and I met the woman who would become my wife. And I've been broke ever since. ;)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Fathers and sons are mostly competitors, both bullheads against eatch other.

I don't think so, it's just that society ill prepared men for fatherhood, especially when it came to expressing emotions which was considered unmanly & so prevented some men from reaching out to their children & their sons in particular. It wasn't easy being a man in yesterday's world. I think things have changed in recent years but there are still quite a few 'old school' fathers out there.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I don't think so, it's just that society ill prepared men for fatherhood, especially when it came to expressing emotions which was considered unmanly & so prevented some men from reaching out to their children & their sons in particular. It wasn't easy being a man in yesterday's world. I think things have changed in recent years but there are still quite a few 'old school' fathers out there.

I believe it’s in the family. Probably my father’s father treated him the same way . Indifferent.
My folks often told me later that they were so young, naive & ignorant when they were raising us.
It’s a miracle we made it , she would say.

Being a mother or father bringing kids into this world doesn’t necessarily mean that
all of a sudden you are also endowed with wisdom in how to be a good parent. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner