Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Philosopher of Choice is ...

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Samsa said:
Richard Dawkins as philosopher? Do you mean as scientist (realizing that the natural sciences are technically a branch of the utilitarian philosophies)?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but always thought of Dawkins as a scientist-cum-philosopher. I poked my nose into "The God Delusion" and was quite disgusted (not at his conclusions, though I disagree with them) but his argumentation.

scientists are philosophers, in my view. i rather like Dawkins. i enjoy his work because it's outside my general interest in theoretical physics, but still is exciting. ever since The Selfish Gene.

S

Samsa

melankomas said:
i don't think he can be discounted for being so. a philosopher is a lover of wisdom, i believe, and i daresay he was that. certainly, his idea of what wisdom is differs from mine, but i'd count him a philosopher.

Oh I certainly don't discount St. Paul. Earlier in this thread I had a friendly exchange with another member about this distinction between Theology and Philosophy, which, to be sure, seems to be a little murkier than I was initially willing to admit.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I can't pick just one. There are, however, a few theologians/philosophers who have had a dramatic influence on my life:

Jonathan Edwards
John Calvin
Augustine
Martin Luther
Arthur W. Pink
Ayn Rand

Most of them have gleaned much of their theological/philosophical outlooks from others, but their words have directly affected me.

Matt

MKL

A-List Customer
Cacklewack said:
I can't pick just one. There are, however, a few theologians/philosophers who have had a dramatic influence on my life:

Jonathan Edwards
John Calvin
Augustine
Martin Luther
Arthur W. Pink
Ayn Rand

Most of them have gleaned much of their theological/philosophical outlooks from others, but their words have directly affected me.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I choose Edwards as well in a previous post. Glad to see someone else interested in Reformed theology.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Ayn Rand...
Miguel Servetus (who was, ironically, put to death by Calvin as an heretic)...
Leonardo da Vinci...
Lao Tzu...

RC

MKL

A-List Customer
rcinlv said:
Ayn Rand...
Miguel Servetus (who was, ironically, put to death by Calvin as an heretic)...
Leonardo da Vinci...
Lao Tzu...

RC

Hi

Actually Calvin did not put him to death, the gov't of Geneva did. Of course, he did approve of the death penalty for hersey as most did in that day - both Roman Catholic and Protestants - a carry over from the Old Covenant as they would have viewed it.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
All philosophy is a footnote to Plato.
----------------- A. N. Whitehead

That being said, I am just starting to get into Aquinas and Augustine. It's a fun search.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
MKL said:
Hi

Actually Calvin did not put him to death, the gov't of Geneva did. Of course, he did approve of the death penalty for hersey as most did in that day - both Roman Catholic and Protestants - a carry over from the Old Covenant as they would have viewed it.

Perhaps I should have qualified it with "Calvin suggested he was a heretic who should be burned at the stake for suggesting that there was no original biblical reference to support a Holy Trinity," but that would just be a semantic argument.:D

RC

MKL

A-List Customer
rcinlv said:
Perhaps I should have qualified it with "Calvin suggested he was a heretic who should be put to death by fire for suggesting that there was no original biblical reference to support a Holy Trinity," but that would just be a semantic argument.:D

RC

If I remember correctly he suggested they cut his head off rather than the flame. I not quite sure though if Servetus was comforted at that gesture. ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Reno Kid said:
All philosophy is a footnote to Plato.
----------------- A. N. Whitehead

That being said, I am just starting to get into Aquinas and Augustine. It's a fun search.

Straw and chastity, huh?;) Check out Summa Contra Gentiles.
One thing about Aquinas, he was a Dominican, not a Jebbie.lol

D

drafttek

MKL said:
If I remember correctly he suggested they cut his head off rather than the flame. I not quite sure though if Servetus was comforted at that gesture. ;)

"A hot stake's better than a cold chop!"-Curly Howard

D

drafttek

No mention of Buddha

Would he/they be considered a philosopher? I find Buddhism very interesting.

But then again, some things just need killin'.

B

BAZ

Homer.........................................................................................
Simpson.:p

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Wittgenstein, Derrida, Foucault

A review of Cartesian methodology as seen from Ludwig Wittgenstein's
perspective on language and inherent limitations imposed on
philosophy led to the further deconstruction by Derrida and Foucault;
still in personal disagreement, but would add all three.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
,,,have a copy of Foucault's lectures to the Sorbonne
around here someplace... 20th Century French philosophers
are being revisited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot