Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your signature cocktail.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Not quite at legal drinking age yet, so I don't have much experience with good cocktails.... but since early childhood, I remember my Papa (grandfather) religiously ordering a V.O. Manhattan on the rocks w/ extra cherries... and when it came to the table I always got to eat all the tasty alcohol-soaked cherries.... and I still do today whenever we're out to dinner together! :)

lindylady

A-List Customer
I like mojitos, but I concocted this one drink last year when I had extra oranges and lemons in the fridge. Take one part rum, one part vodka, two parts pomegranate juice. Mix, and then squeeze the juice from half a lemon and half an orange. I still haven't thought of a name for it yet.

MB5

One of the Regulars
On the rare occasion I do drink, it is something made with Amarula Cream.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Tinseltown said:
I don't know how vintage it is.. But gotta have a Mojito! :D

That got me curious - from some marketing material on the internet, which we all know can never, ever lie.

Timeless...
The earliest "mojito" recipes we have found are from 1931 and 1936 editions of a Sloppy Joe's Bar Manual. Cuban story-teller Federico Villoch also mentioned a recipe for the mojito in a 1940 book. Angel Martinez opened La Bodeguita del Medio in 1942 as a general store and later converted it into a restaurant and bar in 1946, where the mojito is claimed to have gained popularity in Havana. Frequenting the bar were students, musicians, and soon-to-be celebrities, including Ernest Hemingway, Bridget Bardot, and Nat King Cole. The bar is now a popular tourist stop in Havana.

birddog

New in Town
While working in Santiago, Chile a few years back, I was taken to a '40 bar & had a local drink named "Pisco Sour".

The Pisco was a Chilean invention, but had a very classic style character. I drank dozens of them, thin king they would not be out of place in a speakeasy or other Bogey joint. Also, they're tame enough that gals could get a warm feeling & have more than one.

It's made with some local mojo, I can't imagine is available in many other places in the world, but tasted great. I highly recommend it, if you get to Chile.

Birddog

vonwotan

Practically Family
Pisco is definitely an interesting brandy or marc (?) made in the wine making regions of Chile. I tasted some last year at a wine tasting featuring Chilean wines. Not bad at all.

Kaci

New in Town
My boyfriend and I make our own Absinthe...and I'd have to say that my favorite drink so far is what I call 'Absinthe Lemonade'. Absinthe, lemon juice, sugar, and ice. Shake it up like crazy, serve. Then sit back and relax, and enjoy. :-D

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I hope you aren't making absinthe from one of those junk internet :eusa_doh: "kits":eusa_doh: or those awful :rage: erowid recipes:rage: .

Steeping herbs in alcohol does not make absinthe.
The only proper way to make absinthe is by distillation, and that would mean breaking Federal law. And can set yourself and home on fire if you are not an experienced distiller.

It's easy enough to purchase a decent bottle of distilled absinthe without getting into trouble, or making yourself sick from some bogus recipe.

For factual information:

www.feeverte.net
www.oxygenee.com
www.wormwoodsociety.org

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Don't let a Peruvian hear you claim the Chileans invented Pisco. Still, the Chileans made it popular, and they're probably making the better ones. Ah, if there was a kosher one...

Kaci

New in Town
Absinthe_1900 said:
I hope you aren't making absinthe from one of those junk internet :eusa_doh: "kits":eusa_doh: or those awful :rage: erowid recipes:rage: .

Steeping herbs in alcohol does not make absinthe.
The only proper way to make absinthe is by distillation, and that would mean breaking Federal law. And can set yourself and home on fire if you are not an experienced distiller.

It's easy enough to purchase a decent bottle of distilled absinthe without getting into trouble, or making yourself sick from some bogus recipe.

For factual information:

www.feeverte.net
www.oxygenee.com
www.wormwoodsociety.org

...guess we are breaking Federal Law then.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Although I don't drink regularly, a social drink with friends accompanied by good conversation makes for a near perfect night. I tend towards bourbon, irish whiskey, tequila or gin. Here's a favorite that a friend of mine put together sometime ago...

Dave Carey's Irish Twist

• 1 shot of vodka
• 1 shot of creme de cacao
• 1 shot of Bailey's Irish Cream
• 1 shot of heavy cream or half and half
• 1 teaspoon Chambord

A nice finish to a fine meal, but plan to sit for awhile as your knees recover from the shock! :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana