Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper hooded wool coat

Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • What is this?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Zipper hooded wool coat. I've seen black and white photos of them. (Old) Spock wore a futuristic one in the reboot movie. Seems like a very practical choice for rainy places like Vancouver. What do you guys think?
SC14240NVY_01.jpg

SC14240NVY_01C.jpg

i-img900x1200-16652797530ualx0477244.jpg

i-img1200x900-1665279753nb9iab239258.jpg
431d707c015bb62cc404c66820834e76.jpg

I've only wish the price is still $6.49, would make this an easier choice...

Come to think of it I used to have something similar. I believe it was a Pendleton, Lobo label, from the 1960s. Had the same split hood and a massive talon ring zipper.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Zipper hooded wool coat. I've seen black and white photos of them. (Old) Spock wore a futuristic one in the reboot movie. Seems like a very practical choice for rainy places like Vancouver. What do you guys think? View attachment 457250
View attachment 457251
View attachment 457252
View attachment 457253 View attachment 457254
I've only wish the price is still $6.49, would make this an easier choice...

Love it. So much detail and effort to manufacture one of those. I bet is an arm a leg to buy. Worth every penny.

Edward

Bartender
Wool is the last thing i would wear in a rainy place...
Personally i don't like the upper buttoned flap, i think it looks wrong.

That's the bit that strikes me as odd. I'm not a fan of the zip halfway up, then button flaps at the top. Either/or. A full zip, possibly with a button-over windflap, and the split hood (reminds me of an N2 / N2A / N2B) could work. Though I'm not really much of a one for hoods; I tend to prefer a hat. The red plaid looks like a nice wool, though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The zipped hood is really strange and interesting to me at the same time. And the Mister Freedom version is made from 36 oz wool. I've never experience melton wool in this density before. I believe my thickest Filson is only 32 oz so it'd be interesting to find out what 36oz is like.

As a side note, I didn't know Mister Freedom had Japanese roots in the branding. I've always thought it was a Californian brand with their leather jackets being made in the US and all. But it turns out they are connected to the Toyo group that seems to have connection to the Sugar Cane brand...etc. FWIW, the navy melton jacket is actually about 40% less in Japan than in California, with it being made in Japan and all. And the US made jackets are 60% more in Japan than they are in the US. So depending on where the product is made and sold, the difference is between 40% to 60% at full retail. Which makes sense as cost adds up every time it gets moved acrossed borders.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I will go with the navy one in 36oz for two reasons, zipped hood and the 36oz wool fabric. While I also prefer a hat over a hooded coat/jacket for looks, this zipped hood just looks too interesting to me. When the hood is unzipped, it looks like bug wings - And I kind dig it in a very strange way... and 36oz wool, I can't pass on that... Thanks again!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The zipped hood is really strange and interesting to me at the same time. And the Mister Freedom version is made from 36 oz wool. I've never experience melton wool in this density before. I believe my thickest Filson is only 32 oz so it'd be interesting to find out what 36oz is like.

As a side note, I didn't know Mister Freedom had Japanese roots in the branding. I've always thought it was a Californian brand with their leather jackets being made in the US and all. But it turns out they are connected to the Toyo group that seems to have connection to the Sugar Cane brand...etc. FWIW, the navy melton jacket is actually about 40% less in Japan than in California, with it being made in Japan and all. And the US made jackets are 60% more in Japan than they are in the US. So depending on where the product is made and sold, the difference is between 40% to 60% at full retail. Which makes sense as cost adds up every time it gets moved acrossed borders.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I will go with the navy one in 36oz for two reasons, zipped hood and the 36oz wool fabric. While I also prefer a hat over a hooded coat/jacket for looks, this zipped hood just looks too interesting to me. When the hood is unzipped, it looks like bug wings - And I kind dig it in a very strange way... and 36oz wool, I can't pass on that... Thanks again!
A lot of MF items are made by Toyo, perhaps even the made in USA items too because Toyo does make some of their stuffs in USA. Toyo Enterprise is the mother company of Sugar Cane, Buzz Rickson's, Sun Surf, Cat's Paw, United Carr etc. (Cat's Paw and United Carr are defunct US brands that Toyo adopted).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It's not something I recall seeing on a coat like this before. USAF N2 styles, yes, but bar a few hoodies never on a civilian jacket like this. Certainly an interesting feature.
It's likely that it wasn't very popular design back then as I can only find one photo of it from the old catalogue pics.

The Grizzly is one of those wierd ones too but gotten more traction I suppose. Turns out I am a big fan of Grizzly jackets as well too. Hope this wierd zipped hoodie grows on me.

A lot of MF items are made by Toyo, perhaps even the made in USA items too because Toyo does make some of their stuffs in USA. Toyo is the mother company of Sugar Cane, Buzz Rickson's, Sun Surf etc.
MF / Toyo / Sugar Cane / BR very cool stuff. It would make sense to still source some items from the US too since some of the materials are still there. I've just found that Made in Japan stuff is actually good deal in Japan and Made in USA stuff is good deal in USA. Once these items get across the Pacific Ocean the price surcharge is about 40 to 60% both ways.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's likely that it wasn't very popular design back then as I can only find one photo of it from the old catalogue pics.

The Grizzly is one of those wierd ones too but gotten more traction I suppose. Turns out I am a big fan of Grizzly jackets as well too. Hope this wierd zipped hoodie grows on me.

MF / Toyo / Sugar Cane / BR very cool stuff. It would make sense to still source some items from the US too since some of the materials are still there. I've just found that Made in Japan stuff is actually good deal in Japan and Made in USA stuff is good deal in USA. Once these items get across the Pacific Ocean the price surcharge is about 40 to 60% both ways.
The irony is Sugar Cane's 55501 is made in USA and LVC's 55501 is now made in Japan.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m not sure if you’re interested, but this sweater jacket has been just awesome for me here in Southern Ontario. Wind and water resistance (yes it really works). It’s very warm too.

I was a bit skeptical at first, but honestly, it’s been more most worn outer wear this fall.

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/tops/ihsw-45-blk.html

View attachment 457441
Yup I saw that in the other thread and I've been lurking on the IH website since. Haha. It would be sooner or later I cave in... Great sweater. The double zip is a great feature. I only wear zipper sweats for the reason its easier to cool down in heated indoor spaces. Double zip is the best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy