Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A very COLD Winter forecast for Canucks. Feel an ANJ-4/N3-B coming on?

Stand By

One Too Many
To my fellow Canadians:
I know we're all just coming out of a roasting Summer that has felt like us all being in a fan-assisted oven set to Gas Mark 4, but I just saw this long-range forecast via the Farmer's Almanac:
http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2017-winter-forecast/canada-2016-17/
I've ridden my mountain bikes all through Winter to and from work for the last 20 years, so I pay close attention to the weather and I'd rate their accuracy as being about 80% most of the time.
If this is indeed accurate for this Winter (and you live anywhere but the East coast), I'm just saying you might want to think a little harder about pulling the trigger on that B-3/ANJ-4 or N3-B you've been hesitating over if you have been already ... Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.
So for now, I'm not complaining about the warmth while it lasts!

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Hope it blows south, at least as far as Chicago. My ANJ-4 kept me quite warm last year, and I'm hoping for more use this winter.

upload_2016-9-16_11-29-49.png

Radz108

One of the Regulars
To my fellow Canadians:
I know we're all just coming out of a roasting Summer that has felt like us all being in a fan-assisted oven set to Gas Mark 4, but I just saw this long-range forecast via the Farmer's Almanac:
http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-outlook/2017-winter-forecast/canada-2016-17/
I've ridden my mountain bikes all through Winter to and from work for the last 20 years, so I pay close attention to the weather and I'd rate their accuracy as being about 80% most of the time.
If this is indeed accurate for this Winter (and you live anywhere but the East coast), I'm just saying you might want to think a little harder about pulling the trigger on that B-3/ANJ-4 or N3-B you've been hesitating over if you have been already ... Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.
So for now, I'm not complaining about the warmth while it lasts!
I'm all set;)
[/URL]

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
ha ha, yeah we'll see about the weather
the older I get the less the cold appeals, frankly
(not helped by my current a previous car having crappy, wimpy heaters that blow what little heat they generated to the wrong places)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could do with a bit of cold this end...I've got all the gear!! Lets start off with D-1 temperatures & work our way up to Irvin & then Irvin + RAF Jumper...if I feel like some nylon (not stockings) then my N-2A gets an airing :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I doubt very cold weather will blow as far south as Dallas; so this winter I would be better served with an ANJ-3 than ANJ-4. In fact I have a 42L sheepskin coat I bought from Sheplers years ago that I can't even give away that I no longer even bother to take out of its mothproof bag any more.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last really cold one down South was a few years back now, the Irvin was on most of the time & a couple of 'snow days' stopped me getting to work. D-1 & heavy Luftwaffe jacket should see off Fall 2016 by the sounds of it. Glad I sold my N-3A :)

Stand By

One Too Many
ha ha, yeah we'll see about the weather
the older I get the less the cold appeals, frankly
(not helped by my current a previous car having crappy, wimpy heaters that blow what little heat they generated to the wrong places)

Hey, you could be riding a mountain bike beside me - I sometimes wish i could have a heated saddle to go with the metal-studded snow/ice tyres! The coldest I've managed the ride through the park systems is in a windchill of -37C; when the gears cease to function, I find. Then it's time to be sensible and suck it up and get on the subway and buses instead. :(

I've just treated myself to a US Navy wool sweater from ELC for this Winter - for a nice, warm extra layer. It'll look great with all of my jackets, I think - vaguely military but nothing obvious and different to all of my other sweaters, which is what I wanted.
And right now my ELC RW B-6 is at ELC getting a (free) repair as the main Crown zip needed replacing, so I'll be over in a few weeks to see the rels for a week in the UK and pick them both up then. So they'll be great together - and they'll be perfect for the public transport commutes when I want something warm of course - but not too warm for when I'm in the subway or on the buses, as one can cook in a too-heavy jacket. Even though I'd say that a B-6's best performances come in between +5C > -5C, it seems counter-intuitive, but on a public-transport day when it's -20C, the B-6 would still be the sensible jacket of choice over my ELC RW B-3/Irvin if one isn't exposed to the elements for too long.
But still, I must confess, an ANJ-4 sings its siren song to me ... <sigh>

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I'm all set;)
[/URL]

Hot damn! I know I said it before, but that is one storming jacket you have there, Radz! The fluffiness in the wool will have settled to perfection by Winter's end and I think it's probably the best D-1 I've ever seen on TFL. I mean it. You know how girls go to the hairdressers with a copy of People Magazine or whatever or take a clipping of a celebrity and say "I want a do just like hers, please." ?
Well, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thurston/Aero get emails attached with a couple of images of you in that jacket and the guys say "I want a D-1 jacket that looks just like that. Just like his. Exactly. Same colour and fit. Precisely the same. Please and thank you."
Seriously.
And it suits you to a T, Sir.

jkingrph

Practically Family
93 degrees and 66%humidity here in E Texas today. I honestly hate summer and the heat here, preferring late fall and winter. I can just be more active and comfortable in cold weather when it hits here. I'm 71 years old , seen both and just prefer a cooler climate.

Stand By

One Too Many
93 degrees and 66%humidity here in E Texas today. I honestly hate summer and the heat here, preferring late fall and winter. I can just be more active and comfortable in cold weather when it hits here. I'm 71 years old , seen both and just prefer a cooler climate.

Hey, I hear you.
And when it's +35C and baking and humid, it just sucks the life right out of me. But -35C makes me feel more alive! It's exhilarating.
And the fact of it all is, I just feel better dressed in Fall/Winter/Spring! I just do. And I just know what looks good on me in those seasons too - but I'm inexplicably a bit clueless when it comes to Summer.
I mean, it's nice to feel the warmth an' all, sure, and it's especially a relief after a long, cold winter ... but Crocs aren't cool but they're practical. And I may as well as wear banana skins on my feet in the wet. They're slippery suckers. By contrast, I just love the feel of good (dry!) leather boots.
And shorts - I have perpetually white legs that just don't tan (even after a blistering Summer like this one and I've worn shorts daily since early May!) and they're still almost an incandescent silver-white that could almost burn peoples' retinas with the glare of the sun off them. Nobody needs that. I wish I had footballer legs but I have a racing bike build and the wrong (baggy) shorts make them look like sticks. So it's no wonder I prefer cargo pants.
And after wearing nothing but t-shirts for months on end ... ah, give me a jacket to put over one and I'm just happier. :)

Reactions: Hal

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hey, you could be riding a mountain bike beside me - I sometimes wish i could have a heated saddle to go with the metal-studded snow/ice tyres! The coldest I've managed the ride through the park systems is in a windchill of -37C; when the gears cease to function, I find. Then it's time to be sensible and suck it up and get on the subway and buses instead. :(
Yeah, well, you're crazy to be bicycling (1) in Toronto, and (2) in Toronto in winter. You'll get no sympathy from me, you nut!!!

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I doubt very cold weather will blow as far south as Dallas; so this winter I would be better served with an ANJ-3 than ANJ-4. In fact I have a 42L sheepskin coat I bought from Sheplers years ago that I can't even give away that I no longer even bother to take out of its mothproof bag any more.

Sheplers? Now there's a name I haven't heard in about a million years. There was one near Wichita, KS when I was living there as a kid.

Hal

Practically Family
Hey, I hear you.
And when it's +35C and baking and humid, it just sucks the life right out of me. But -35C makes me feel more alive! It's exhilarating.
And the fact of it all is, I just feel better dressed in Fall/Winter/Spring! I just do. And I just know what looks good on me in those seasons too - but I'm inexplicably a bit clueless when it comes to Summer.
I'm with you all the way! What is more (if I may quote my posting in the "Autumn" thread of the Hats Forum), it is actually easier to regulate thermal comfort by means of clothing at lower than at higher temperatures. I have experience of +35C; +25C is my wilting point.

Stand By

One Too Many
Yeah, well, you're crazy to be bicycling (1) in Toronto, and (2) in Toronto in winter. You'll get no sympathy from me, you nut!!!

Ha!Ha! I hear you about T.O. ... but I don't ride the streets. That's nuts!! I ride the park systems from one end to the other, far from the madding crowd - and I'm spared the madness of the streets plus the miserable and offensive pushing and shoving, lack of manners, spitting, lack of respect and decorum on the TTC. Give me the bike, even when it's cold. Infinitely better. And I get a workout thrown in and I can work off the previous night's pint of beer (imbibed for medicinal reasons on account that the world's gone mad. I find that one beer just takes the edge off nicely. Marvellous).

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Too bad that beach cruiser style can't ride through bad conditions!

...and I'm sure it's a heavy beast and with a single gear too in the snow?! I'd need an iron lung at the end of the ride!

But it's a beauty of a bike. I keep that image in my list of favorite photos ... it'd go with all my jackets!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy