Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your winter season forecast for 2014/2015: BRRRRRRR!!!!!

Stand By

One Too Many
Last year I saw the Farmer's Almanac forecast for the winter and posted it here - and indeed, as we all now know, the forecast was completely accurate and it was BRUTAL !!! Winter is my favourite season, and even I was glad to finally see the back of it …!
I hate to say it, but it looks like we're in for another belter: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/2...d-for-much-of-canada-farmers-almanac-predicts
I wouldn't mind so much if this Summer had given us all a good baking to make us feel completely thawed out after such a LONG and BRUTAL Winter … I don't feel quite ready for another.

Yes, this is Canada's forecast, but for those here who are south of the border but around the Great Lakes, I'm just saying (again) that you may wish to reconsider that ANJ-4 or B-3 or Irvin that's been calling but you've held off up until now ….
Me? I'm hunting for a nice, vintage USAF N-3B to go over my B-6 !!!
Stay warm.

Gromulus

Practically Family
My ANJ-4 was (unexpectedly) my go-to jacket for most of last winter. I wouldn't be surprised if it is again this season.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Don't worry about the BS from the Star, Winnipeg has a snow pile like that every year, that lasts well into the summer. Yes, last year was a cold one, but it's what winter in Canada is supposed to be like.
Planning lots of lots of time with the D-1 and B-9 again this year.

B

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Last year it was Irvin, D-1, the odd Pea coat on occasion and a Shearling lined barnstormer of indeterminate lineage. This year the rotation has been augmented by an Aero Thunderbay. I'm ready.

Worf

bretron

Call Me a Cab
The Great NW was a cakewalk.... Barely a snowflake to be seen. Cold enough for some wool and leather tho :)

IXL

One Too Many
Last year it was Irvin, D-1, the odd Pea coat on occasion and a Shearling lined barnstormer of indeterminate lineage. This year the rotation has been augmented by an Aero Thunderbay. ****** I'm ready.******

Worf

Famous last words. :D

Feraud

Bartender
Personally I'm looking forward to a long cold winter. I get to wear my leather and wool and the cold weather keeps most of the riff raff off the streets. It's a win-win situation.

IXL

One Too Many
About five or six years ago, I received a Schott B-3 styled jacket. It has been completely unwearable: too hot for practically any winter weather we have around here and just took up room in the closet. But, this last winter was one for the books and I've really enjoyed wearing this beast. I was filling the truck at a gas station one morning, in temps around 10-15°F, and another customer walked over and tried to buy it from me, right then and there.
Not a chance; I'd waited years to wear that thing! One can only hope for blizzards in a few months.

Edward

Bartender
Personally I'm looking forward to a long cold winter. I get to wear my leather and wool and the cold weather keeps most of the riff raff off the streets. It's a win-win situation.

Me too. This last Winter was actually quite mild here (I enjoy cold). It tarted to get unbearably hot in June and July was beastly in London (hottest July on record, or so the media claimed), ut fortunately Auguest has been much damper. It's even rained properly for the last couple of days. Let inter come when it may, but I'm really hoping this early Autumn isn't just a blip. I could very happily live in a world with no Summer and an extra month each of Winter, Spring and Autumn.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't remember much of a Winter last year in California. Seems like it's getting warmer and drier. We're in the thick of a major drought.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
^^^ Well you're always welcome on the (l)east coast. Just leave your earthquakes, mudslides, wild fire and droughts back west when you come!

Worf...

PS and IXL..... PBBBBST!!!!!

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
And today it's suddenly almost 40C with the humidex - and bearing the forecast in mind, I'm NOT going to complain !

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I love local folk lore. This year, most of it says that North Carolina will have another cold, wet winter.

I frequently see deer grazing at the edges of our pasture. They are remarkably fat this year. And docile. I drive past them and they just glance at me and continue eating. They act as if they’ve got something more important to do than be concerned with me. Probably so. The local old folks (even older than me) say the deer know we’re in for another hard winter and they’re fattening themselves up before it gets here.

I’ve also noticed the squirrels in my yard burying nuts like crazy this year. All summer, they’ve dug up Jackie’s flower beds and her flower pots and generally driven her absolutely bonkers. I doubt that my squirrels are fluent in Deer, so they must have received the same “look out for a harsh winter” message directly from Mother Nature.

And I’ve captured at least a dozen crickets in my house this summer. They start their loud chirping after we’ve gone to bed and I have to hunt them down, catch them and throw them outside. Dang sure can’t kill them. I’d just as soon break a dozen mirrors than kill a cricket in the house. Anyhow, the old folks say the crickets know about the oncoming cold winter and are nesting inside. I don’t know what crickets did about cold winters before my house was built.

And there’s dark wooly worms everywhere. Even without the other signs, I’m told dark wooly worms are the sine qua non of a cold winter forecast. I see scores of them crossing the road in front of me every morning. In fact, if the number of dark wooly worms I've squished while driving to work is directly correlated to the coldness of next winter, North Carolina is in for a real doozie. I might as well go ahead and order another tank of propane and the 60" Flexible Flyer I was eyeing on Amazon after last winter.

AF

Stand By

One Too Many
Quite right, Atticus. Loved your post !

But what gets me is the weather man on one local channel on TV - he's an absolute whizz at long range forecasts and he's invariably spot-on in saying how the entire season ahead will play out …
But getting any of them to offer up an accurate weekend forecast just a few days ahead seems distinctly tricky! Huh. Who'd have thunk that ?! I'll hedge my bets on your animals, Atticus and keep looking for that N3-B!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Last year I saw the Farmer's Almanac forecast for the winter and posted it here - and indeed, as we all now know, the forecast was completely accurate and it was BRUTAL !!! Winter is my favourite season, and even I was glad to finally see the back of it …!
I hate to say it, but it looks like we're in for another belter: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/08/2...d-for-much-of-canada-farmers-almanac-predicts
I wouldn't mind so much if this Summer had given us all a good baking to make us feel completely thawed out after such a LONG and BRUTAL Winter … I don't feel quite ready for another.
I know what you mean. I'm not far from you and I feel like I haven't properly warmed up yet from that past winter, and the next one's not far off. I had lunch today with a friend of mine who's down from Timmins and he said last winter the worst one he could remember in his 41 years of living there.

But what gets me is the weather man on one local channel on TV - he's an absolute whizz at long range forecasts and he's invariably spot-on in saying how the entire season ahead will play out … But getting any of them to offer up an accurate weekend forecast just a few days ahead seems distinctly tricky! Huh. Who'd have thunk that ?!
Environment Canada used to be okay with predictions, but the last couple years they've become useless. They must have cut back on weather services as (yet another) cost-cutting measure. Now I check their website only for my morning laugh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails