Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your winter season forecast for 2014/2015: BRRRRRRR!!!!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I just received this message from a friend who lives in Calgary:

Snow Monday night, Tuesday, and today. Nearly 30 cm. Saturday and Sunday was 27 Celsius. Stupid.

Last edited:

Inusuit

A-List Customer
38 degrees this morning in Cheyenne with possibility of snow tonight and tomorrow. Summer was short, wet, and cool. Hoping for some Indian Summer and fall fly fishing. Breaking out the vintage Pendleton shirts and Filson mackinaw.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Up here in North Central Vermont we expect every winter to be crappy. Last year I walked outside in a t-shirt to start the cars before heading to work and it felt much warmer than normal for that winter. I remarked to my wife that it was a heat wave and she checked the temp outside: -19*F. It had been so cold for so long, -19 felt warm.

Thank goodness for felt fedoras, wool over coats and awesome car heaters!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Personally I'm looking forward to a long cold winter. I get to wear my leather and wool and the cold weather keeps most of the riff raff off the streets. It's a win-win situation.

A man after my own heart! These are my reasons for loving winter as well. I get to wear my wools and cashmeres with my 20s and 30s cloches and the annoying catcallers are usually hunkered down in their lairs! lol

Hal

Practically Family
I could very happily live in a world with no Summer and an extra month each of Winter, Spring and Autumn.
I enjoy the long daylight hours of summer, but apart from that very much agree with Edward. Last winter was dreadful - mild, very wet and very windy for 10-12 consecutive weeks.
Thank goodness for felt fedoras, wool over coats...
Yes, indeed - a great many of us enjoy wearing these items and look forward to the appropriate weather.

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
For all of you who live north of the Platte and the Ohio or in merry olde England, think how it must be to be a jacket fanatic while living in southeast Texas! Whenever there's a breath of colder air in winter months, I race out of the house with my jacket du jour to enjoy it. Then the sun comes up, and the fun's over.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Minus 24.

Feeling more like MInus 30 with windchill.

Moving out to batter the east coast some more, Its passing over, I took a step out the door and said;

One small Step for man, one Giant Leap for-----OMYGOD IS IT EVER COLD!
unnamed (5).jpg

1986 Avirex B-3, I Needed the Trousers today too. plenty Snow on the way.

I will post pics Wearing my Ice Skates next week. Expecting another 40Cm of snow on the way.

Trying to get *into* the Jeans thing you guys have going, I duno why you wear Jeans with a B-3.

It looks so disproportional, not to mention Jeans are balls Cold even with Long Johns.

Need my pair of Doubly Ply winter Issue Tanker Pants with suspenders and white-out Mukluks.

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Man, this recent storm hit us hard! Here's my yard yesterday, 11 am, under 11 inches:
aUmgpu8.jpg

And, after a blizzard that lasted from noon yesterday, to midnight last night, we got a further 7 inches! Look at this!
RNNQYHN.jpg
It's past my knees! We've got at least 18 inches here in southwest suburbs, Chicago.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah we're getting killed here now. Eleven degrees and blinding snow. Expect a foot and a half before it's all done... Arrgh. Sheepskin weather fer sure.

Worf

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Cold this morning even in Dallas - 25F and 20 knot NW wind. Teamster today and maybe tomorrow too.

Stand By

One Too Many
Minus 24.

Feeling more like MInus 30 with windchill.

Moving out to batter the east coast some more, Its passing over, I took a step out the door and said;

One small Step for man, one Giant Leap for-----OMYGOD IS IT EVER COLD!
View attachment 23881

1986 Avirex B-3, I Needed the Trousers today too. plenty Snow on the way.

I will post pics Wearing my Ice Skates next week. Expecting another 40Cm of snow on the way.

Trying to get *into* the Jeans thing you guys have going, I duno why you wear Jeans with a B-3.

It looks so disproportional, not to mention Jeans are balls Cold even with Long Johns.

Need my pair of Doubly Ply winter Issue Tanker Pants with suspenders and white-out Mukluks.

I like the jeans/B3 look! Flannel-lined jeans helps though as, like you, I loathe the feeling of Long Johns… ugh.

I was in a local military surplus store recently and, thanks to BN and Sloan's B-15, I now have a serious appreciation for nylon going on (having just bought my 1950s N3-B and wore it today - love it!) and came across a mint late 50s one-piece flight suit in O.D. with great Conmar zippers all over it - and it looked toasty! It'd be like wearing a onesie!!! lol You wouldn't be cold in that with your B-3!
Didn't buy it of course. But I did like it!

Stand By

One Too Many
My (new to me but late 50's) N3-B - taken a few weeks ago when it was feeling like -28C with the wind-chill. But the jacket is blanket-lined and so toasty and I LOVE it. I feel like I'm cheating on my Irvin and B-3 after all these decades of loyalty!
Last night/today we've got a big load of snow - and I'll be behind the snow-thrower in this when I get home from work ....

N3-B.JPG

Stand By

One Too Many
Yes. I've noticed that the weather people on TV always add at least 10C for the windchill, so -15C feels like -25C at least, or so they always say … and it was down to -22C at nights. It was when those 3 or 4 homeless people died in one week … and that photo was taken first thing in the morning as soon as I had some light for the photo. I was out feeding the birds and squirrels - and filling the heated bird bath!

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
So far the Ontario winter seems quite mild to me. The only trouble is the increased chance of going base over apex on the ice because there is so little snow.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks DD. Will do.
And what's great is that the eBay seller (and he's in Toronto) was a total pleasure to deal with - and he says that if he ever finds an even better one, I can trade it in with him for exactly what I paid and just pay the difference! And in the meantime, I have this - for US$110/CDN$130! And if he never finds one, I'm still happy!
Have just looked at the photo again - and look at my ears! They're frickin' scarlet!!! Ha!Ha!Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails